Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 hours ago, Philosopher said:

He has never played left back in his life. He's played as a wing back with 3 central defenders. But his main position is left wing.

Ashley Young never played full back until lately. If he got the ability then why not? 
If we add Hermoso though we’d be more balanced.

Whilst absolutely everything we are reading is rumour and probably rubbish, I must admit this was not what I was envisaging!

We get to Champions League for first time in a generation and I'm exited for wild speculation of Mbappe, Vinicius Jnr and Messi... Instead we're to lose some top players and promising prospects and replace them with Ross Barkley and Weston McKennie!

Imagine if we'd finished 5th!!

Come on, it's all made up clickbait anyway, can't we have some excitement?!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

I really don't wanna see us bring in a stupid amount of players. 

I do wish we had 2 or 3 really good young talents ready to get involved but it seems these days if they ain't in the starting 11 every week, by the age of 19, they want to leave. 

I think the main priority is... 

New starting RB, New DM and a back-up forward. 

Why would we totally rip apart a squad that has just qualified for Champions League? If Dougie & Duran going covers FFP and enables us to get 3 or 4 in, alongside the 2 lads from Juve, the return of Buendia and hopefully Mings, we are probably good to go. Also JJ and Kamara will be back at some point. 

I'd not be looking to flog Cash or Moreno, they are good players for the squad and capable of doing a job. 

Just need quality over quantity. 

Agreed. I thought we'd be quietly going for quality over quantity, adding a couple more to move us on. But (and I say this as one massively behind Unai and his team), we will have, through injury & sale, ripped the heart out of our team. Boubs & Doug were a huge part of our success last season. Replacing them both and getting a new pairing up to speed, esp with the euros, is going to be key and huge for us. 

13 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

Whilst absolutely everything we are reading is rumour and probably rubbish, I must admit this was not what I was envisaging!

We get to Champions League for first time in a generation and I'm exited for wild speculation of Mbappe, Vinicius Jnr and Messi... Instead we're to lose some top players and promising prospects and replace them with Ross Barkley and Weston McKennie!

Imagine if we'd finished 5th!!

Come on, it's all made up clickbait anyway, can't we have some excitement?!

Yes, the window is shut those are the only players we brought in such a shame. Bad window

...oh wait. The window is open for more than 10 weeks? 

As if we are only signing those 2 players this window

Other than Luiz we aren't actually losing anyone that wasn't expected or strongly rumoured to be leaving

One of Digne or Moreno was always likely to leave with them both being thirty plus

Most were of the opinion that we need to upgrade Cash, if so might as well get some dough for him, as we have others than can be the squad right-back

Duran there have been long-standing rumours he will leave, a shame but not grave, with the money we can bring in another top striker who wants to be here

For the most part we're just moving on a bunch of squad players so we can improve overall, I'm sure once the window is done we will have an improved starting eleven and squad

Wonder if we will go for Oscar Gloukh or Georgiy Sudakov who we’ve been click bait linked with previously … Think any big money transfers will be after the Euros. 

7 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

What have i missed on Moreno, a lot convinced both him and Digne going all of a sudden but where's that come from?

Or is it just a hypothetical that's become pseudo fact?

Some reports that he wants to return to Spain and is willing to take a pay cut to go back to Real Betis.

15 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Wonder if we will go for Oscar Gloukh or Georgiy Sudakov who we’ve been click bait linked with previously … Think any big money transfers will be after the Euros. 

Read a thing on sudakov this morning saying they've already rejected £35m from Napoli, want over £40m

10 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

What have i missed on Moreno, a lot convinced both him and Digne going all of a sudden but where's that come from?

Dipped out of his wedding for 5 minutes to tell the Spanish media he wanted to move back to Spain 

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Still gutted about Luiz but thinking about the summer. Duran and Cash likely to follow, plus Moreno. I think we’ll try to move Carlos on too. 

That should give us at least £100m to play with, maybe £150m. So to add to Barkley, McKennie and Iling Jr we should have enough for:

• Fofana (Kamara replacement)
  • Geertruida (Cash replacement)
  • Truffert/Tierney (Moreno replacement)
  • Todibo (Carlos replacement)
  • Baena (Luiz replacement)
  • Guirassy (Duran replacement)

That’s the sort of quality I’d hope to be coming in to make up for losing Doug and the other players. 

I’d go with

• Fofana or Wieffer
  • Geertruida or Teze
  • Maatsen or Gutierrez
  • Veerman or Merino
  • Pavlidis and Konate

For the Carlos replacement I’d get one of the young CBs in, perhaps Mosquera at Valencia. If Hermosa is a no go then I did like the look of that kid at Lorient. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Also… who replaces Doug on set pieces? Don’t think anyone in the squad is at his level in that department either and we could upgrade there anyway with a more capable player in that regard… would be nice to get more goals from free kicks but we need a dependable penalty taker too.

We’re losing quality delivery and chance creation also… 

Digne can take a decent corner. His free kick v Man. United was brilliant aswell but hasn't come close since.

57 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We won't sell both LBs, that would be ridiculous and a major gamble.

Some Spanish sites saying Moreno wants to go back to Real Betis so we'll see in next month if that's true I reckon.

7 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Digne can take a decent corner. His free kick v Man. United was brilliant aswell but hasn't come close since.

Only because the wall was 5 yards further back than it should have been

1 hour ago, picicata said:

We all thought Champions League qualification would be a game changer

We just didn't realise that game would be 'Accountancy for Beginners'

That’s what these divs have done to the game, paper profits not real profits.

protect nothing except the clubs at the top

Edited by paul514
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Would love Sudakov. I’m also a big fan of his countrymen Artem Dovbyk. 

We need to be looking at Khephren Thuram - seems Juventus after flogging off McKennie to us is looking to sign him…Thuram and Luiz will be some midfield for them 🥲

2 hours ago, picicata said:

We all thought Champions League qualification would be a game changer

We just didn't realise that game would be 'Accountancy for Beginners'

We will be linked with a shock move for some Clifford Chance lawyer soon. “I just don’t really see where he fits in. We’ve already got a regulatory lawyer and he won’t be happy playing junior. Should have focused on signing a new commercial lawyer - that’s where we lack depth”

25 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

I’ll mourn with you @Jas10

Only making it worse with me watching this USMNT game vs Brazil and seeing McKennie out there doing cardio only and the difference in levels of quality😭

Tbf and rational…  neither of the players coming in are replacing Dougie and we have a long window ahead and plenty more transfers to get sorted… both incoming and outgoing. I get the feeling that the squad will be revamped and we arguably need that since we’re stepping up to CL level… we didn’t really impress in ECL, was more of a struggle than anything… hopefully we have better luck with injuries now and the returning players can fit in and be at least as good as they were, if not better…

I’m not so worried about losing him and not replacing him but I don’t like the deal and the nature of it… and yeah, I’m not excited by the players arriving but… it does boost what is a fairly threadbare squad or one that has been exposed as deficient… going off last season. I’ve mellowed a bit after my initial reaction (felt he’s being undervalued, we may be getting ripped off or exploited, could we get a better deal, do we have to sell him and can we sell alternative players like Duran and Cash instead?)… but we’ve gotta try n look at it from more than one angle…

I see McKennie as a squad player, probably at RM, rather than a starter… maybe even RB somehow! Dunno about the other guy, would be helpful if he can play LB but that seems unclear… do we need another young, attacking, left sided player? I dunno… 

Another thing is that we won’t see Dougie turning out in the same league as us and against us (unless we meet Juve in CL)… that’s a positive. Would be horrible to make a PL rival stronger and have him play well against us…

Unai will identify a good replacement (maybe a couple 🤷‍♂️) and I’m sure we’ll end up with both a better team and squad by the time the window has closed. 

Got to be patient and see the bigger picture… but we are allowed to have emotions and reactions too!! 😂

Edited by Jas10

6 hours ago, villaglint said:

I was wondering about Mikel Merino. Think we were linked when Unai first came. Sounds like he’ll be moving on. Barca want him but don’t have a pot to piss in as usual so might be able to take advantage. 

Would absolutely LOVE him at Villa.  He's on the same level as Dougie, if not better.  Classy, classy midfielder who could be one of the best in the Prem under Emery.  

• Like 1

Â