Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Tierney meant to be available for 10mill. Wouldn't mind him if we shifted out both moreno and digne.

Las thing we need is (more) injury prone players.

49 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Last time out our season sort of struggled over the line in the end because we ran out of players, and I'd hope we make some sort of net gain in terms of numbers this summer.

That said, either we're about to have the most nuts couple of months in as long as I can remember or we might have set ourselves a very big ask.

Having not taken up the options on Leglet or Zaniolo, and if we're selling; Doug, Moreno and Duran and we're rumoured to be looking at moving on Cash and more likely  Archer then we're six or seven bodies down already, and that's without potential outs for the likes of Dendoncker, Hause, Iroegbunam, Carlos, Chambers, Olsen and Kesler-Hayden.

On top of that we've got doubts about the return of Mings and Buendia and Kamara won't be back until Christmas - we could be struggling for numbers - let alone the extra quality we'll need to progress in the Champion League.

We've got Nedeljkovic to come in and Lino Sousa, but they're both just nippers - so on top of those two, I reckon we're gonna need at least another ten and maybe fifteen players.

Good luck Monchi!

It does feel like we’re gonna see a lot of squad turnover… if we can get the (majority of) outgoings sorted asap it gives us more time and freedom to focus on the incomings in what is a fairly long window… Monchi will be very busy.

I’m sure we’ll be, overall, in a much better/stronger place (we have to be, to be competitive at the level we have stepped up to and achieved now) once the window has closed but… that doesn’t mean I/we have to be happy about losing top class, important players like Dougie… there’s the emotional connection too.

We can also have doubts about certain incoming players (especially in what seems like a more enforced sale/deal because of financial rules/restrictions)… at least until we’re proved wrong. And I’d be happy to be… because it benefits the club and that’s what we want most of all.

My hope is that Monchi only brings the players Unai actually wants and rates… it’s his time to shine and prove himself now.

Hopefully, Unai gets the squad he wants and can truly call his own rather than purely or largely made up of players he has inherited and had to make do with… we still have some deadwood to shift, sooner they’re gone, the better I’ll feel anyway… at least we’re active already… maybe a good sign of what’s to come.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, useless said:

I wonder if we will go for Ruben Neves, would be a good Luiz replacement

I was wondering about Mikel Merino. Think we were linked when Unai first came. Sounds like he’ll be moving on. Barca want him but don’t have a pot to piss in as usual so might be able to take advantage. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, useless said:

I wonder if we will go for Ruben Neves, would be a good Luiz replacement

That would be funny when we play Wolves……

”we’ve got Neves…..”

• Haha 1

What kind of player is Gabri Veiga (linked a while back)? Is he at all similar to Dougie? Could he be some form of a replacement? Or is he more of a goal getter than a creator?

I think a few are underestimating what we are losing if/when Dougie departs and none of the names listed or mentioned are real replacements (although fine additions and would boost the team/squad).

We need technical prowess, creativity, a pass master rather than a typical box to box player or runner… someone with wonderful technique and composure. Tielemans is not as reliable or consistent, can’t be relied on over the whole course of a season like Doug and picks up knocks, injuries, gets exhausted. 

The guy would orchestrate our play and create for fun, deliver chances on a plate. Unai relied on him and clearly rated him, even called him “our shining light”… he has been integral and a few months of difficulty or drop off doesn’t change that. He’s been immense ever since Unai arrived and a huge factor in what we have achieved… it’s not easy or simple to replace that. 

We struggled in the ECL and struggled to rest players or get results without playing key players. Unai tried to rest and bench Dougie, but whenever we struggled in those games… bringing him on is what gave us the upper hand and allowed us to get results. He’d just come on and the team would instantly to improve or tick, often laying the ball on a teammate’s head or foot to score… integral.

Dougie made us tick… we need to replace THAT…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, villaglint said:

I was wondering about Mikel Merino. Think we were linked when Unai first came. Sounds like he’ll be moving on. Barca want him but don’t have a pot to piss in as usual so might be able to take advantage. 

Merino and Zubimendi? 😃😆

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

What kind of player is Gabri Veiga (linked a while back)? Is he at all similar to Dougie? Could he be some form of a replacement? Or is he more of a goal getter than a creator?

I think a few are underestimating what we are losing if/when Dougie departs and none of the names listed or mentioned are real replacements (although fine additions and would boost the team/squad).

We need technical prowess, creativity, a pass master rather than a typical box to box player or runner… someone with wonderful technique and composure. Tielemans is not as reliable or consistent, can’t be relied on over the whole course of a season like Doug and picks up knocks, injuries, gets exhausted. 

The guy would orchestrate our play and create for fun, deliver chances on a plate. Unai relied on him and clearly rated him, even called him “our shining light”… he has been integral and a few months of difficulty or drop off doesn’t change that. He’s been immense ever since Unai arrived and a huge factor in what we have achieved… it’s not easy or simple to replace that. 

We struggled in the ECL and struggled to rest players or get results without playing key players. Unai tried to rest and bench Dougie, but whenever we struggled in those games… bringing him on is what gave us the upper hand and allowed us to get results. He’d just come on and the team would instantly to improve or tick, often laying the ball on a teammate’s head or foot to score… integral.

Dougie made us tick… we need to replace THAT…

Yeah agreed - much has been made of our playing out from the back and Luiz was fundamental to that. We need a baller for sure as the kids call it. 

I’d certainly back Unai to pick one of those though. 

Also… who replaces Doug on set pieces? Don’t think anyone in the squad is at his level in that department either and we could upgrade there anyway with a more capable player in that regard… would be nice to get more goals from free kicks but we need a dependable penalty taker too.

We’re losing quality delivery and chance creation also… 

Edited by Jas10

Just now, villaglint said:

Yeah agreed - much has been made of our playing out from the back and Luiz was fundamental to that. We need a baller for sure as the kids call it. 

I’d certainly back Unai to pick one of those though. 

It’s obvious that Unai wants a high quality passing team with technically proficient players, composed and excellent in possession… the more energy focussed players or powerful runners tend to be played on the left and right of midfield… we need that creative hub. Tielemans can do it at times but is nowhere near as reliable (or available/fit) as Doug has been… and we need more than one player who is capable of it.

I’m honestly quite upset, but maybe not so far as devastated, that we will be losing the Kamara-Luiz partnership. It’s one of the best imo and has huge potential… seems perfect and representative for/of an Unai team too.

Now, we have to replace BOTH Kamara’s defensive abilities (won’t be back for a while) AND Luiz’s creativity. Both of them were composed and excellent in possession and under pressure and could carry the ball and pass it well… it’s a big ask to replace them and it’s likely to be expensive. Will those new players hit the ground running too or struggle, need time to adapt and settle?

44 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Isnt he on mega wages?

Yes and they’d want top dollar to sell him, too.

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Also… who replaces Doug on set pieces? Don’t think anyone in the squad is at his level in that department either and we could upgrade there anyway with a more capable player in that regard… would be nice to get more goals from free kicks too but we need a dependable penalty taker too.

We’re losing quality delivery and chance creation also… 

Joey Veerman at PSV

I like Wieffer at Feyenoord but think Fofana at Monaco would be perfect for us and give us loads of options. 

Veerman, Fofana, Barkley, McKennie, McGinn, Kamara, Tielemans, nice options and depth for 3 positions in the team. 

• Like 1

I have no doubt we'll go for some sort of technically brilliant midfielder.

We must, or at minimum other players who can pick for the qualities Doug has.

Unless it will be spread across the team.

• Like 2

I really don't wanna see us bring in a stupid amount of players. 

I do wish we had 2 or 3 really good young talents ready to get involved but it seems these days if they ain't in the starting 11 every week, by the age of 19, they want to leave. 

I think the main priority is... 

New starting RB, New DM and a back-up forward. 

Why would we totally rip apart a squad that has just qualified for Champions League? If Dougie & Duran going covers FFP and enables us to get 3 or 4 in, alongside the 2 lads from Juve, the return of Buendia and hopefully Mings, we are probably good to go. Also JJ and Kamara will be back at some point. 

I'd not be looking to flog Cash or Moreno, they are good players for the squad and capable of doing a job. 

Just need quality over quantity. 

Â