Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

The days of players going for 100m are almost over. Atleast not regular deals. We could’ve put a high price for Luiz in other cases (where we don’t need losing him), we might had a chance for a better deal. But we’re in this position which we can’t blame anyone on it. If we sold Luiz last season or winter, we wouldn’t have got to the CL. 
After we saw the team since losing Kamara, we need some actions, we can’t let our qualifying for CL makes us forget how tough was it at the end. Results wasn’t the worse but performances dropped much. 
We’ll not have Kamara back anytime soon, so basically no chance to play our best first team this season at any case. 
We’ll have to do some rebuild considering all kind of issues outfield.

It’s tough losing Luiz, he’s been one of our historical players in our progress. One of those who we would have liked to see playing with us in Europe. I don’t think this move is ideal for us or him. But it’s where we all found ourselves in. We sacrificed last season and got CL, can’t really go regret not selling last season. 
One of our main issues were Coutinho, but that was part of process, and the board kept learning the game and maturing, with Monchi and Unai now, I doubt they will allow something like that to happen.

Yes not all signings will success, but I doubt spending those wages on someone at his end of career with 0 resale value. 

It will be tricky to maintain our 4th place, so for me just get it right, and try to compete in CL, and hopefully we continue in Europe while improving our team. We can’t just throw money for instant success, try to look on short and long term views.

• Like 2

People mentioning Ramsey, Buendia, etc, those value will have a lower stock because of injuries, that’s if anyone was interested in the first place. 
Next season we might have another sales as well, if we got Gallagher we could sell McGinn by then, then if Buendia showed that he’s back we could also sell him. That would require a huge work from our management but if we got it right, then we’ll have gone to the next level. 

• Like 1

Let’s be honest about Duran, potential is all he really is at the moment… if they want to pay £40m for potential then I think we’ve got to take that. He’s shown glimpses of being good, but that’s all imo, he’s Mr Chaos! 

• Like 4

We've got to trust and believe that we continue to increase players values markedly, and sell a couple of them. That's just got to be the way it is with the financial restrictions.

You could argue that as an average, we have tripled the values of the likes of Watkins, Luiz, Martinez, Bailey etc in the last couple of years. 

• Like 1

If we get anything from £35m upwards for Duran we should be absolutely biting their hands off.

Anything from £25m for Cash the same.

Luiz, I am less convinced of the deal but maybe the plan is to move Tielemans into Luiz role permanently. He excelled there second-half of the season, then McKennie/Barkley covering Kamara til he's back?

Unai has said recently that he only intends to bring players into the club that strengthen the team.

I am not convinced that McKennie and Illing jr do that..at least not right away.

But im ready to keep my trust in unai and monchi as they have transformed us and who am i to question them?

• Like 2

Just now, OLDVILLAIN said:

Unai has said recently that he only intends to bring players into the club that strengthen the team.

I am not convinced that McKennie and Illing jr do that..at least not right away.

But im ready to keep my trust in unai and monchi as they have transformed us and who am i to question them?

McKennie does strengthen us, he's better than Dendoncker and Tim.

Iling-Junior doesn't necessarily strengthen us straight away, but we signed Rogers and Nedjelkovic for their high ceilings.

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

I could see Tielemans being sold to be honest with you, mainly as he’s a free and on about 150k

Absolutely not.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, burchy said:

I could see Tielemans being sold to be honest with you, mainly as he’s a free and on about 150k

We offered him that deal and signed him just last season, that's not happening.

He'd be more likely to replace Doug as a starter if anything.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

With Luiz, Cash and Duran all strongly rumoured to leave, I find the prospect of a rebuild under Monchi & Emery to be quite exciting. I've never felt so calm about players leaving as a Villa fan than I do right now. 

Kind of where i am at tbh. This is still some of gerrards team and prior. Excitibg to see what a complete emery team looks like

2 hours ago, PieFacE said:

With Luiz, Cash and Duran all strongly rumoured to leave, I find the prospect of a rebuild under Monchi & Emery to be quite exciting. I've never felt so calm about players leaving as a Villa fan than I do right now. 

Can’t stress this enough. We have an elite manager and an elite setup. We are just getting starting too. 

• Like 2

So Cash £25 mill, Duran £40mill, Luiz £60 mill - if I have my FFP hat on that's about £400 mill we can spend on transfers this window? 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Philosopher said:

He will have to change things up in midfield, but also fullback. He may say 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 which wouldn't surprise me.

I tmust be recognised that Barkley basically played the Luiz role for Luton last season. Luiz was played as the more attacking of the double pivot, when alongside Kamara. For me he is a deep lying playmaker, not box to box, or ball winner. He main job is to retain possession, recycle the ball, and look for penetrating passes. When alongside Kamara he gets freedom to get into the when the ball is going to be delivered from wide to be there for the cut back. When without Kamara he is expected to hold position in front of the centre backs. But Luiz isn't that good defensively and is often caught on the wrong side of his man.

Tielemens is perfect for this role, and so is Barkley. The problem with both players is they do pick up injuries, and often take time to get up to speed when returning from an injury. With Luiz he is basically always fit. 

We need more height in the team so Barkley brings that. Iling-Jr is basically Zaniolo, but better defensively. Not quite as big, but a bit quicker. 

I feel our defence is where we really lack aggression. Without Mings, nobody wants to go for the ball. It's back off season. A Proper aggressive ball winner with positional sense to either rotate with or even play alongside Kamara is also needed.

Gallagher doesn't really make sense unless Emery wants to play with a DM and at least 2 central midfielders, if not 3 CM's.

I think those 3 points have not been lost on Unai....and he will operate in his usual canny way, to fix it.

I think in a general sense, I agree with all of that.

I am getting a warmer, feeling to it all.

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

So Cash £25 mill, Duran £40mill, Luiz £60 mill - if I have my FFP hat on that's about £400 mill we can spend on transfers this window? 

We're still restricted by the UEFA squad costs, we need to reduce the wage bill.  Players like Coutinho, Donk, Carlos and even Digne need to be replaced with players of similar ability but less wages.  It's funny that those 4 were signed when Gerrard was here.  Stevie G, the gift that keeps on giving .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We're still restricted by the UEFA squad costs, we need to reduce the wage bill.  Players like Coutinho, Donk, Carlos and even Digne need to be replaced with players of similar ability but less wages.  It's funny that those 4 were signed when Gerrard was here.  Stevie G, the gift that keeps on giving .

If the manager decides how much/long the contracts are then the club is doing things very wrong.

It wasn't Stevie G handing those bad boys out.

Â