Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

It strikes me that we absolutely do need a sale of some sort by end of June - but that Monchi has a number of fail safes in play. The Luiz deal is the most complex with x3 players involved so can't necessarily be relied on in total, then there's the Cash thing bubbling along, and then there's the Chelsea thing which I think is both clubs saying to each other that if it gets desperate for either that they will action a deal that suits them both. With other clubs knowing those are all in play then all attempts to argue down a particular price are nullified. Just my tuppence!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Potentially Dougie, Cash and Jhon sold so far. Who’s Unai going to yell at now from the touchline? 😉 

Hmm maybe there is actually something in that. The 3 players that struggle to take on his instructions at times are all out the door maybe 👀

2 hours ago, burchy said:

I can see at least one of Digne and Moreno going too.

On another note I like the look of the young CB at Valencia, Mosquera. 

Reports make it seem most likely Moreno.

In truth, of the two, last season Digne really proved his worth.

Moreno was huge for us the season prior, and on form is a brilliant attacking outlet, however I think Digne edges it as the better all round LB when he is in full flow.

Extremely composed head I feel we can get at least one more very good year out of ( Another ooonnnnneeeee! )

A younger Moreno type would be ideal.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Reports make it seem most likely Moreno.

In truth, of the two, last season Digne really proved his worth.

Moreno was huge for us the season prior, and on form is a brilliant attacking outlet, however I think Digne edges it as the better all round LB when he is in full flow.

Extremely composed head I feel we can get at least one more very good year out of ( Another ooonnnnneeeee! )

A younger Moreno type would be ideal.

We really need to move Digne on asap… with his wage, length of contract and age. 

As he declines, he will be less of a sellable asset and we’ll be more burdened by those wages… it will hinder us to some degree.

Yes, he’s performed admirably but he does have his limitations and it’s why Moreno was brought in, in the first place, and he visibly improved and suited our side. If not for the injury…

Unai brought Alex back in, pretty much as soon he was available again, he got us a few goals at least and his pace and dribbling ability (neither of which Digne really possesses, very reliant on crosses) usually helps us, but then he got injured again… 🤦‍♂️ they’re both quite different from each other too.

We have enough examples to learn from of struggling to shift overpaid players as their form and value declines… Coutinho is just one. PSR/FFP doesn’t help at all either, we’ve got to manage our wage budget and structure too.

There are worthwhile replacements out there, younger LBs with more longevity, potential and on lower wages… it’s just sensible to make that change before it’s too late.

Makes sense to replace both LBs with younger players tbf… if that’s doable.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, rubberman said:

re Duran going. We've just bought in that South American scout fella recently - hopefully will be able to unearth a similar prospect.

Duran's in and out (if it happens) is exactly what many have been saying we should be doing (a la Brighton etc) - reasonably cheap, delivers but isn't fundamental to the squad, sell for good profit. On to the next please.

We'll see a lot more like this with Monchi, buy young and cheap, sell for profit.  Wouldn' surprise me if the likes of Nedjelkovic is sold on at some point, unless he's exceptional and nails a spot.

Edited by duke313

Losing Dougie will definitely hurt, but if he wants to go and it means we don't need to sell someone like Ramsey, then I'm fine with it.

We're bringing in £62m, if Duran goes, plus we're getting Iling-Junior and McKennie.

I'm excited about the remainder of the window. If Moreno, Diego Carlos and Cash leave, but we can bring in the likes of Todibo and Gallagher, then we'll have a much stronger squad than last season.

If Moreno does leave, I really hope we can sort a deal out for Maatsen as he looks class. Then someone like Dumfries, and a striker, would be ideal.

• Like 1

I reckon they’ll pull a jaw-dropper of a signing this window, whether that’s an Alvarez, a Goncalves, or someone of that calibre. The owners will want to go as deep into the Champions League as we can manage, and a really creative attacking mid or 2nd striker is the area that makes most sense to recruit - especially with Duran heading out the door. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, paul514 said:

Both players are wide forwards/10’s

Eze can play centrally. He has a few times for palace. Also can play in hole behind striker 

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's a thing i've been trying to say and explain to people.

We will ALWAYS have a better chance of building with, and keeping someone like JJ, over other players for which we are more just a " career ".

It's why i've always gotten so wound up when people have been so willing to get rid.

I'd also add McGinn and Tyrone to that list by default.

Adopted " One of Us ers "

You don't often get such hugely talented players come through academies who are also born and bred fans. I think they should be valued a little more.

Don’t you think Dougie is one of those “one of us ers” though???

I sure do, along with the names you’ve mentioned I’d add Martinez, Konsa, Watkins and Bailey. They’ve invested into the fabric of the club, it’s like they’re part of our identity or even our spine/core if you will…

I’ve mellowed a bit after the initial, emotional reaction (some of us need it or feel it more than others) to even just the thought of losing Dougie but what I’m most worked up about is getting ripped off and losing a top player on the cheap or being burdened with players who might not be all that good or useful… but, I obviously concede to the superior knowledge, expertise of (especially) Unai and Monchi (reserving judgement)… if Unai wants those players and feels like he can work with  and improve them, great… but this feels more like an enforced sale rather than something more of our choosing. I don’t believe Unai would want to lose Dougie if financial constraints/rules weren’t a problem and then we don’t know his personal situation or view (can only speculate, whether he wants to stay, does he want to sign a new deal or not etc)

Maybe the news on Duran and Cash has weirdly calmed me down too…

We could be seeing quite the revamp of the squad… no doubt we need more of a “spread of quality” and more, higher level options in the squad. But I don’t want that first 11 being weakened (we actually need to strengthen it) and we are competing at another level… maybe it sounds a bit far fetched or extreme… but we should be looking to be competitive against teams like Juve and others in the CL rather than risk strengthening them while weakening ourselves - not saying that’s going to be the case because the window hasn’t even opened yet and there’s a lot of time to make additions and more sales but… I don’t really know where we stand with PSR/FFP, how much freedom we (will) have in the market and have to spend. We will have to wait and see an be patient (a big ask, I know 😆)

Again, I will go back to Unai’s own comments… it’s not always good to sell players for the sake of money and risk losing an important player that could reduce the potential/quality of the side… they are difficult to replace and new players need time to gel and adjust…

Unai wants us to be competitive and ambitious as possible.. but I don’t really know how much we are being held back in that sense… frustrating if we are.

• Like 1

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

Why would we want to do that? 

I actually quite rate him to be honest. Settle him down and get him playing and we could grab a bargain. Still only 23.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

It strikes me that we absolutely do need a sale of some sort by end of June - but that Monchi has a number of fail safes in play. The Luiz deal is the most complex with x3 players involved so can't necessarily be relied on in total, then there's the Cash thing bubbling along, and then there's the Chelsea thing which I think is both clubs saying to each other that if it gets desperate for either that they will action a deal that suits them both. With other clubs knowing those are all in play then all attempts to argue down a particular price are nullified. Just my tuppence!

I think this is probably accurate, a number of players have been identified as potential ‘outs’ with deals being pursued, but only one to two may happen.

• Like 1

Â