Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

14 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

All those are fine other than Luiz and if we’re moving on Duran and Cash in the next couple of weeks for around £50-60m then I really don’t understand how Luiz has to be a sacrificial lamb as well.

You'd assume either

• because Dougie is refusing a new contract,
  • or we're more than £50-60m in the shit and need to sell Dougie on top of that
  • All of the above
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well you’re talking about a professional athlete who’s young and in their prime and someone who may not think the same way. I understand, and agree, that as a fan it seems more rational to stick to what you just described but there could be tons of reasons going through the kids head about making this move happen. Imagine if they’re offering him around 200k a week? That’s easily something that could turn his head. There are also several Brazil National team guys on Juve that he would already be very close with. Another thing to keep in mind. Fwiw though, if it happens I think this is more of a FFP forced decision than anything else. But who knows what the whole process has been like leading up to this point. We won’t truly know anything until the dust has settled, if it even is kicked up to begin with.

If he wanted to leave we wouldn’t sell this month, we’d set a high price and wait for a bidding war so that we got the best deal.

I don’t think this is anything on him wanting to leave, it’s a PSR decision or it wouldn’t be happening now. But I also can’t understand why we have to sell him if we’re also selling Duran and Cash this month, surely we could keep Luiz if we offload the other 2. 

Just depressed by it all.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

You'd assume either

• because Dougie is refusing a new contract,
  • or we're more than £50-60m in the shit and need to sell Dougie on top of that
  • All of the above

We won’t know anything until the club confirm why they are doing this. I’d have thought selling Duran and Cash for £60m would leave us healthy given the sums done by others on here who claim to be finance experts but it seems like they were wrong. I haven’t seen the accounts and no one else has so until we learn why Luiz is being sold none of us know. 

Doesn’t make it any better though.

Edited by Leeroy

6 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

If he wanted to leave we wouldn’t sell this month, we’d set a high price and wait for a bidding war so that we got the best deal.

I don’t think this is anything on him wanting to leave, it’s a PSR decision or it wouldn’t be happening now. But I also can’t understand why we have to sell him if we’re also selling Duran and Cash this month, surely we could keep Luiz if we offload the other 2. 

Just depressed by it all.

Yeah like I said I think this is more-so FFP pressure than anything else. But at the same time if Luiz truly isn’t willing to sign a new contract then that’s him essentially saying he wants out. 

I'm with you on it’s sad though. Nothing worse than the band breaking up, especially over some farcical financial rules.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Philosopher said:

It's euros not pounds. Based on his goals to minutes for us, and the desire he has shown I'm confident he'll be a 20 goal in a season striker within 3 season given the right opportunity. I believe that should be here at Villa.

Ollie is 29. There is no guarantee he can repeat this seasons numbers. He has 4 season max at this level if he can. By that time Duran will overtake him.

Pounds or euros it’s a great deal for the club. Most of those goals were scored against tiring defences - when he has started in the PL he has looked very poor. Poor movement, constantly moaning at team mates and his control is still Championship standard at best. Clearly has potential but he just doesn’t have enough ‘between the ears’ to ever be able to play in a tactical system like Emery’s, imo. 

You see something in him that I obvs don’t - will be interesting to see how/if he develops.  Overall, though, his fee plus what we get for Archer gives Unai the opportunity to bring in his own striker target who will prob be another development project but at a much higher level I would have thought. 

• Like 1

If we can get the numbers touted for Duran that will be a good deal. 

We have Rory Wilson coming through, I think Emery wants a versatile forward who can play 9, s/s or even a wide forward role. You can get a high quality player with that skillset and they don't see their game time limited with Watkins being incumbent ever present no9. 

We could see the room for Emery/Monchi to really reshape the squad and get that key element of talent in depth.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Cor if we get £40m for Duran, £20 for Dougie plus two players, and potentially £30m for Cash from Milan (if all of these rumours are true of course! 😂) then that’s a fair old chunk of money £90m plus two good players. 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

All those are fine other than Luiz and if we’re moving on Duran and Cash in the next couple of weeks for around £50-60m then I really don’t understand how Luiz has to be a sacrificial lamb as well.

As it stands without any sales it appears that we are PSR compliant, just. Therefore the sales we are completing are more about providing funds to add multiple players to the squad whilst moving on players that are either not committed to staying so we get the best deal we can (Doug?) and players that Unai clearly believes are not at the level he wants and we can get good money for (Duran/Cash). 
Obvs PSR influences these decisions but I think it best to look at each sale on its own merits rather than us just assuming it’s all about PSR and the ‘needed’ sales we think we have to make….

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, eholm said:

Pounds or euros it’s a great deal for the club. Most of those goals were scored against tiring defences - when he has started in the PL he has looked very poor. Poor movement, constantly moaning at team mates and his control is still Championship standard at best. Clearly has potential but he just doesn’t have enough ‘between the ears’ to ever be able to play in a tactical system like Emery’s, imo. 

You see something in him that I obvs don’t - will be interesting to see how/if he develops.  Overall, though, his fee plus what we get for Archer gives Unai the opportunity to bring in his own striker target who will prob be another development project but at a much higher level I would have thought. 

One would hope things turn out like you say, if he is sold.

I believe he has been very good for us. 20 years old coming from the MLS. Scored 5 premier league goals in 457 minutes. That's a goal every 90 minutes. His xG is 4.29 so he's out performed his xG. He comes on and is aggressive, get in defenders faces, works hard, shows so much desire. On top of his pace, power, and excellent striking of the ball.  

The movement isn't as bad as you make out, he's scored 8 goals in all comps with less barely 1000 minutes, you don't get that kind of goal ratio with poor movement, even with tired defences. The link up play is poor, and needs a lot of work. 

He is such a good striker to bring off the bench and will only get better. Chelsea will be getting a good deal, and 40m for an 8 goal striker is a good deal for us too. But the potential, and the impact off the bench is great to have, and not so easy to replicate.

• Like 1

If we get 30m for Cash I'll be delighted. Can't see them paying anywhere near that though. 

The Dumfries links are getting stronger, my issue with this is he is basically the same as Cash in regards to his game. Not really a dribbler, can't cross that well, not a very tactically aware player. More of a powerful runner that can pop up with goals.

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

One would hope things turn out like you say, if he is sold.

I believe he has been very good for us. 20 years old coming from the MLS. Scored 5 premier league goals in 457 minutes. That's a goal every 90 minutes. His xG is 4.29 so he's out performed his xG. He comes on and is aggressive, get in defenders faces, works hard, shows so much desire. On top of his pace, power, and excellent striking of the ball.  

The movement isn't as bad as you make out, he's scored 8 goals in all comps with less barely 1000 minutes, you don't get that kind of goal ratio with poor movement, even with tired defences. The link up play is poor, and needs a lot of work. 

He is such a good striker to bring off the bench and will only get better. Chelsea will be getting a good deal, and 40m for an 8 goal striker is a good deal for us too. But the potential, and the impact off the bench is great to have, and not so easy to replicate.

Some fair points. As with all opposing views the answer normally lies somewhere in the middle….I’ll definitely be intrigued to see how he progresses should he move on. More intrigued to see who Unai gets in to replace him. 

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

You wonder what would've happened if we'd missed out on CL, even more sales?

Making CL gets us 30m or so but the press were briefed we don't receive that figure until halfway through the season so that's causing issues I assume, bit like a promoted team doesn't get 100m + through the letterbox the day after winning the play off final.

If we're losing all these players then we need to make signings quickly rather than messing about up to August 31st.

Last year we signed all of Diaby, Torres and Tielemans before the last week of July so need a repeat and the chance for Unai to get them used to our system in the friendlies.

Hopefully we'll see a few signings as soon as June 30th passes.

Would probably have had to sell Watkins or Martinez

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, eholm said:

As it stands without any sales it appears that we are PSR compliant, just. Therefore the sales we are completing are more about providing funds to add multiple players to the squad whilst moving on players that are either not committed to staying so we get the best deal we can (Doug?) and players that Unai clearly believes are not at the level he wants and we can get good money for (Duran/Cash). 
Obvs PSR influences these decisions but I think it best to look at each sale on its own merits rather than us just assuming it’s all about PSR and the ‘needed’ sales we think we have to make….

I agree with all that except this being the best deal for Luiz. I think he’s worth more than we’re getting and I’m disappointed in the deal. I think Duran and Cash are good squad players but I can see why they’d be sold if the money is reinvested well.

• Like 1

I can see at least one of Digne and Moreno going too.

On another note I like the look of the young CB at Valencia, Mosquera. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Potentially Dougie, Cash and Jhon sold so far. Who’s Unai going to yell at now from the touchline? 😉 

I could do that job for 5k a week, get yelled at enough at home so have plenty of experience 🤪

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, burchy said:

I can see at least one of Digne and Moreno going too.

On another note I like the look of the young CB at Valencia, Mosquera. 

He's very promising indeed, and I think has the exact kind of profile that Emery would be interested in for that spot in the defence.

We were linked to Assan Ouedraogo at Schalke a few weeks ago but he appears to be going to RB Leipzig according to German media outlets.

Â