Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

We need to appreciate that Unai signs players whose profiles fit his system - irrespective of ‘star quality’ or ‘name’. 
Remember, he brought in Capoue, Cocquelin and Parejo at Villareal……and the team were superb. 

He has already proved this here with the signing of Rogers who I and many others did not really see a lot in him - I was proved wrong completely. 

Unai thrives on taking players who have not really excelled previously and moulding/improving them into really great fits for his system. WM and SIJ to me appear to be typical Unai signings. Let’s leave it to the main man…..he knows what he’s doing. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I thought we had a great summer window last season. Tielemans, Torres and Diaby are signings I’d expect Champions League teams to make not teams in the Conference. Even when we were finishing bottom half of the league and didn’t have a top manager we signed Kamara, Bailey, Buendia. 

Which is probably why I’m both disappointed and baffled by our business so far. Barkley, Iling Jr and McKennie I would have expected us to sign three years ago, not after finishing 4th. It’s like our signings have regressed despite great leaps forward in the league. And that also doesn’t take into account that we are losing a key player who has been absolutely vital to our progress over the last 2 seasons.

Obviously I know of the financial elements and that there are still a couple of months left to sign players, but so far it’s been a hugely underwhelming window.

Please, more.  Your positivity is so infectious.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

It all depends on how we all see it in the first place......I don't see Dougie as a quintessential No 6.....I know we play him there, but I don't see his true quality, there. I see him as a No 8......Now I know, a lot of folk will disagree, with that.

It's one reason why, I think Unai, will reshape the midfield, that's if Dougie goes of course.

My point is, if we was just deploying him the 6 role, because we had no one else.....it's likely the reshaping, might confuse us.

If Dougie does go, I think the form of Tielemans, might have influenced it or had a bearing on it.....He may have been brought in as cover, but has played his way in to the first team thinking.

Tielemans dominated that England game recently, so these kind of things might, give Unai, something to think about.

We have conceded too many goals last season, and the midfield is bound to be tightened up, and become more robust and Combative....I think, that may be in the thinking.

He will have to change things up in midfield, but also fullback. He may say 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 which wouldn't surprise me.

I tmust be recognised that Barkley basically played the Luiz role for Luton last season. Luiz was played as the more attacking of the double pivot, when alongside Kamara. For me he is a deep lying playmaker, not box to box, or ball winner. He main job is to retain possession, recycle the ball, and look for penetrating passes. When alongside Kamara he gets freedom to get into the when the ball is going to be delivered from wide to be there for the cut back. When without Kamara he is expected to hold position in front of the centre backs. But Luiz isn't that good defensively and is often caught on the wrong side of his man.

Tielemens is perfect for this role, and so is Barkley. The problem with both players is they do pick up injuries, and often take time to get up to speed when returning from an injury. With Luiz he is basically always fit. 

We need more height in the team so Barkley brings that. Iling-Jr is basically Zaniolo, but better defensively. Not quite as big, but a bit quicker. 

I feel our defence is where we really lack aggression. Without Mings, nobody wants to go for the ball. It's back off season. A Proper aggressive ball winner with positional sense to either rotate with or even play alongside Kamara is also needed.

Gallagher doesn't really make sense unless Emery wants to play with a DM and at least 2 central midfielders, if not 3 CM's.

10 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Says we’ve agreed a deal with Chelsea for Duran…..for close to €50m! Monchi is a genius if we can get anywhere near that price. 

He is worth it. In the right environment he will be worth double in 2 years.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He is worth it. In the right environment he will be worth double in 2 years.

Highly doubtful he will be anywhere near that standard imo. 
£50M is sensational money for Duran……I’ll believe it when I see it. 

Edited by eholm

Just now, eholm said:

Highly doubtful imo. 

Yeah - he may get that much better, but that is very very good money. Even if it is euros. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thejoker said:

Says we’ve agreed a deal with Chelsea for Duran…..for close to €50m! Monchi is a genius if we can get anywhere near that price. 

Insane business if true. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Champions league qualification - Emery’s track record of producing teams again and again better than the individual parts. Monchi’s record of building successful teams, how Emery is a coach who has improved players… How we’ve hit ambitious owners willing to take on the established system. Record breaking commercial deals … list goes on 

what is there to be negative about ? 

Selling Luiz in what looks like a poor deal. Selling Duran who I believe will be a top striker in 2 or 3 season. The club falling foul of PSR. 

We should be positive generally, but there are negatives, and things can easily go wrong. We can't take Emery's brilliance so far to never falter. Monchi didn't do well in Rome. Nothing can be taken for granted. 

4 minutes ago, eholm said:

Highly doubtful he will be anywhere near that standard imo. 

It's euros not pounds. Based on his goals to minutes for us, and the desire he has shown I'm confident he'll be a 20 goal in a season striker within 3 season given the right opportunity. I believe that should be here at Villa.

Ollie is 29. There is no guarantee he can repeat this seasons numbers. He has 4 season max at this level if he can. By that time Duran will overtake him.

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I thought we had a great summer window last season. Tielemans, Torres and Diaby are signings I’d expect Champions League teams to make not teams in the Conference. Even when we were finishing bottom half of the league and didn’t have a top manager we signed Kamara, Bailey, Buendia. 

Which is probably why I’m both disappointed and baffled by our business so far. Barkley, Iling Jr and McKennie I would have expected us to sign three years ago, not after finishing 4th. It’s like our signings have regressed despite great leaps forward in the league. And that also doesn’t take into account that we are losing a key player who has been absolutely vital to our progress over the last 2 seasons.

Obviously I know of the financial elements and that there are still a couple of months left to sign players, but so far it’s been a hugely underwhelming window.

And nothing's happened and its not even open.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Give me something to be positive about and I will be.

I haven't seen many of your posts today...

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

If we sell Duran -  do we really need to sell Luiz?

Maybe not on a financial stance, but if he has made it clear he wants out then he'd probably still be off. This might be where the issue lies

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bobzy said:

We're a club on the up and have just qualified for the Champions League (or equivalent) for the first time in 42 years.  We're in the safest hands I can remember us being in, we have the best manager that we've had in my lifetime (37 years), our goalkeeper is currently the best keeper in the World and is part of the World champions team, our striker is likely to break our individual Premier League goalscoring record this season and the future is incredibly bright.

But (potentially) selling a player who wasn't even in the side when we beat Arsenal away has obviously crushed all this.

Edit:  Are you a troll?  Is that it?

He's just a regular Villa lad, mate

• Haha 2

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

He's just a regular Villa lad, mate

I miss the original Villa lad, these copycats don't do him justice... Or he has lost his way under a different guise...

Â