Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

If true we are getting robbed! This would be exactly like the Stephen Ireland deal.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Philosopher said:

Are they better than Tielemens, Luiz, Mcginn, Kamara? That's the level of quality needed to improve the squad. Particularly if it means losing Luiz.

Well, not true. If injuries happen you need decent depth, and improving on that is just as important. We can still sign a first team player after this has gone through you know?

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'm not denying it either, just saying I find it hard to believe until it's confirmed, as it sounds like bad business, and I believe the people at the club would run it better than that.

They absolutely seem to be running the club well.

I think people are carried away with transfer fees since the Grealish sale.  Luiz leaving for £60m would eclipse any transfer fee Aston Villa have ever paid for a player and would probably (top of my head, might be wrong) be within the top 10 most expensive Premier League transfers to a foreign club.

If it means that we both alleviate any PSR fears for this season and then enables us to purchase a further £200m or so of talent in the summer, in what way is it a bad deal?

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

So my point otherwise generally still stands that we’ve lost Dougie to be replaced by WM and RB.  If Tielemans has taken Dougie’s spot then it was DL-YT-CC/TI but now it would be YT-WM-RB-CC/TI, arguably stronger depth but weaker first two rotation.

But the window hasn't closed yet... So no, they haven't 'replaced' him - I expect somewhere else to come in for that (Gallagher / Guendouzi)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

You should probably start embracing frustration if these players are difficult to accept. 

Emery seemingly has a habit and long (but succesmfull) history of signing other clubs flops, or just random players, and then improving them. Looking at a list of his signings, there are sooo many names that we would have been livid with signing back when he bought them, but a lof of them turned our great. 

I see this argument a lot and yes Emery can get more out of less. But that doesn't mean we want to let our most talented players go and replace them with average players. I also think the reason he left Villareal to come here was because of the ambition, otherwise why leave. He was probably frustrated with working with lesser players because he couldn't get more out of them, and probably felt he had taken Villareal as far as he could.

We don't want him feeling like that here. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

I think people are carried away with transfer fees since the Grealish sale.  Luiz leaving for £60m would eclipse any transfer fee Aston Villa have ever paid for a player and would probably (top of my head, might be wrong) be within the top 10 most expensive Premier League transfers to a foreign club.

If it means that we both alleviate any PSR fears for this season and then enables us to purchase a further £200m or so of talent in the summer, in what way is it a bad deal?

Big time, they see Chelsea overpaying for Enzo and Caicedo for ridicoulous fees and think every player should go for that.  For context Eze and Olise will both go for £60m if they are sold, has Luiz had a better season than either of them, not statistically he hasn't  

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

Well, not true. If injuries happen you need decent depth, and improving on that is just as important. We can still sign a first team player after this has gone through you know?

I'm personally think Dendonker in the short is better than Mckennie. I'd rather play Tim than Mckennie. We literally can have a fierce debate of who's better Dendonker, Tim, or Mckennie! Barkley adds depth if he can stay fit, which is highly questionable. Then factor in there is no Luiz, we are clearly weaker in midfield. We just have an extra body.

As for Iling Jr he is in the same position as Tim. Talented but yet to be developed. If Juve really rated him, they'd treat him like Soule and not want to include him in any deal.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

But it's not 60 million. It's 18 to 20 plus two cast offs that probably won't be good enough. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Big time, they see Chelsea overpaying for Enzo and Caicedo for ridicoulous fees and think every player should go for that.  For context Eze and Olise will both go for £60m if they are sold, has Luiz had a better season than either of them, not statistically he hasn't  

I would counter that with a few points:

• Crystal Palace have less leverage than us. We finished 4th, they finished 10th. Olise and Eze won't be playing in any European competition next season let alone CL. 
  • Olise and Eze quite possibly want to leave to play at a bigger club. I don't think Luiz does and I've seen nothing to suggest that.
  • It will be no less than £60m is what I read. They will probably negotiate a higher price for both once a team makes an offer. 
  • Luiz plays in CM, they play in the attacking front 3 positions, so comparing stats isn't the best way to assess their season (and even then Luiz got 9 goals and 5 assists). Luiz had just as good a season as they did IMO and both Olise and Eze missed large chunks of the season through injury. 
Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

I see this argument a lot and yes Emery can get more out of less. But that doesn't mean we want to let our most talented players go and replace them with average players. I also think the reason he left Villareal to come here was because of the ambition, otherwise why leave. He was probably frustrated with working with lesser players because he couldn't get more out of them, and probably felt he had taken Villareal as far as he could.

We don't want him feeling like that here. 

Maybe, although this is just pure speculation. As far as we know, Illing and Mckennzie might be Emery's personal picks and are players he really wants to work with? 

Maybe he has come to the conclusion that Luiz is at the top of his game and value, so selling him now might be our only chance of actually making some money and getting replacements before his transfer value decreases or contract runs out? 

Emery is definetely involved in our transfer dealings, so its not like were selling Luiz behind his back

5 minutes ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

But the window hasn't closed yet... So no, they haven't 'replaced' him - I expect somewhere else to come in for that (Gallagher / Guendouzi)

Fair enough but equally that may not happen.  Please god no to Guendouzi!

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

But it's not 60 million. It's 18 to 20 plus two cast offs that probably won't be good enough. 

There's not a chance it'd be accounted for like that.

Edit:  And also, you're assuming Luiz leaves for Juventus.  He could go anywhere - but £60m will be about the price.

Edited by bobzy

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

The value of the "casts-offs" are included in the PSR costs, are just ignoring others post intentionally?

27 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Sorry but the PSR stuff is speculation. Not fact, until the clubs accounts are published.

I'd describe it as more than just speculation. Did you not see Nassef's interview published in the FT this morning? He said that he's seeking legal advice on whether to lodge a formal complaint against the Premier League due to PSR being anti-competitive. Other than spelling it out, that is the closest you will get to being told from the horse's mouth that we have PSR issues, at least until the accounts are released. I don't see how anyone can deny this now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Do they play for a team that finished 4th?! Do they have injury issues?! Has Doug been key in us exercising control over football matches?! 

The problem is we are dealing with a foreign team. Premier league teams have more money and pay an extra premium for players proven in the Premier league.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

Maybe, although this is just pure speculation. As far as we know, Illing and Mckennzie might be Emery's personal picks and are players he really wants to work with? 

Maybe he has come to the conclusion that Luiz is at the top of his game and value, so selling him now might be our only chance of actually making some money and getting replacements before his transfer value decreases or contract runs out? 

Emery is definetely involved in our transfer dealings, so its not like were selling Luiz behind his back

Well I really don't know what Emery sees in McKennie and Iling Jr if that's the case, at the expense of losing one of his best players. I'm suspicious this has come from Monchi but no one knows. 

We will have to see how this works out. All I know is we will need to go into the market and buy another midfielder, to add to a holding midfielder and a right back as a minimum (we may also need another central defender and winger). It's just more work to be done and I'm not confident we'll do it. 

Edited by Leeroy
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The value of the "casts-offs" are included in the PSR costs, are just ignoring others post intentionally?

If they come, flop and sell them and they go on frees, that mean our finances will suffer in real terms and make lose more money thus weakening us financially. 

On the playing side we lose a top 4 player for two players only good enough for bottom if the table.

We are getting robbed!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Well I really don't know what Emery sees in McKennie and Iling Jr if that's the case, at the expense of losing one of his best players. I'm suspicious this has come from Monchi but no one knows. 

We will have to see how this works out. All I know is we will need to go into the market and buy another midfielder, to add to a holding midfielder and a right back as a minimum (we may also need another central defender and winger). It's just more work to be done and I'm not confident we'll do it. 

Well we know that Monchi is emery's man and we know that Emery has become our manager and not first team coach, meaning he controls all aspects of the clubs. 

Can you honestly say you have seen Illing play? He's 20 years old and played a part in Juventus last season and judging Mckennie on one season in a horrible Leeds team is extremely harsh

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Eze and Olise will both go for £60m if they are sold,

They'll get a bigger fee for Olise than Eze. I don' t see Eze going for more than 50m.

19 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

If true we are getting robbed! This would be exactly like the Stephen Ireland deal.

Oh jeez, summer 2010, I had blanked that out. Awful deal that was, this is certainly on a par.

Â