Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Just now, KMitch said:

I don't like selling Dougie...  He's been one of our best players under Emery so far, but if we can ultimately swap him for Gallagher it's fairly good business.  I think Gallagher is a very underrated player and he could be the long term natural replacement for McGinn as well.  I would love to see that deal go down before the Euros kick off. 

As for Weston McKinnie, I'm an American who has seen a lot of him over the years and he's not at all what we need right now.  When we were linked to him under Deano several years ago, I think he would have improved us then, but we're a different club now and he has a lot of off the field concerns with his knucklehead friends in his entourage.  He's very similar stylistically to McGinn when he tries, but as we saw at Leeds, he's a liability when he isn't bothered.  Maybe he has put that past him and maybe Emery will get the best out of him.  I did also have a lot of concerns with Tielemans as well and Emery proved me wrong there to here is hoping I'm wrong again.

Agree on Gallagher.

Interesting about Mckennie's attitude issues. Emery doesn't strike me as the manager who would sign a player like that, so maybe they think he's turned a corner (or think they can iron it out of him).

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

This is always a positive spin people on here put on things when we get negative news.

Newcastle are valuing Guimaeres at £100m and only a few months ago most on here were saying Luiz is better. He's certainly been better in the last 2 seasons statistically. Gallagher is being valued at £50m and has a year left on his contract, Luiz is significantly better than him. 

Valuing him at £60m is lowballing him whichever way you look at it. It should be a minimum £80m valuation for one of our key players. We're being conned. 

But there is also the possibility that we aboslutely have to raise a certain amount by June 30th or face a points deduction.

23 minutes ago, thunderball said:

No chance:

PSR solved

Seasoned international coming off an excellent season, who is physical.

Young talent to nurture (played 30 games for Juve last season.

If we add Gallagher/Guendouzi and maybe Baena, we are very well stocked and if Hermoso also arrives that’s a serious window.

Your having a absolute laugh mate  👍

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Valuing him at £60m is lowballing him whichever way you look at it. It should be a minimum £80m valuation for one of our key players. We're being conned. 

We are valuing him at a reasonable price so that we don't price him out of a move. We aren't being conned at all. We are just aware of our PSR situation and are actively doing what's required to resolve it. 

Many factors come into player valuation and one of the key ones is whether the selling club can afford to keep the player in question.

Since we can't, due to the PSR rules, his valuation will have to be lower. It's not rocket science.

1 minute ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's widely known within the game that we have PSR issues and has been for ages now. 

That information has now become known in the media too and it's pretty much everywhere.

You are just being willingly ignorant to the facts here. 

You haven't provided one fact! The media rumour mill is not reliable in any way! 

Like I said I have faith that Monchi and our owners are smarter than that. If they're not then we should be worried.

Barkley is a risky replacement. Luiz is 5 years younger and been fairly consistent for 2 seasons.

Barkley is a player that at 30 had his best ever season, in a role that he'd never really played. Has had more than his fair share of injuries. In addition he was playing for a counter attacking, that looked to get the ball forward at every opportunity. That team that got relegated too.

So while I think signing Barkley could be a smart move, if it's to replace Luiz then it's a huge risk. The only saving grace is we have Tielemens who can do a similar job

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Sorry to jump in but doesn’t the fact that the media were saying that Luiz is valued at £60 mill in November make this link more believable?? We know most transfers agreements/discussions happen well in advance. 

So what I’m saying, is that it’s likely the agent of Luiz could leak our valuation of him to the press and that’s why this figure has been mentioned several times. This adds to the fact that Juventus' offer is essentially 60 mill but structured as £20 mill + McKennie and Illing Jr. 

I also don’t see what club is paying £80 mill for Luiz, that’s not me saying I don’t rate him highly or whatever. Just look at the state of the PL right now with FFP/PSR, I can’t imagine many clubs buying him for that much in this market. Maybe two/three windows ago

Then surely if no one can afford his valuation we just keep him.

Right now this looks a horrendous deal for me. I'm sure the club have some kind of plan but I would have thought selling Cash would get us by until next month rather than selling a key asset for below his value to us. 

If it allows to bring in some quality players this window and we sign Baena, Fofana, Geertruida etc then maybe we'll be ok or even better for next season, but taken at face value this looks a very bad deal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Right now this looks a horrendous deal for me. I'm sure the club have some kind of plan but I would have thought selling Cash would get us by until next month rather than selling a key asset for below his value to us. 

If it allows to bring in some quality players this window and we sign Baena, Fofana, Geertruida etc then maybe we'll be ok or even better for next season, but taken at face value this looks a very bad deal.

Yep, at face value this looks a poor deal for us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Philosopher said:

You haven't provided one fact! The media rumour mill is not reliable in any way! 

Like I said I have faith that Monchi and our owners are smarter than that. If they're not then we should be worried.

Barkley is a risky replacement. Luiz is 5 years younger and been fairly consistent for 2 seasons.

Barkley is a player that at 30 had his best ever season, in a role that he'd never really played. Has had more than his fair share of injuries. In addition he was playing for a counter attacking, that looked to get the ball forward at every opportunity. That team that got relegated too.

So while I think signing Barkley could be a smart move, if it's to replace Luiz then it's a huge risk. The only saving grace is we have Tielemens who can do a similar job

It's not about being smarter than that it's about the reality of PSR. I work with agents of PL players and as an agent for ex pros from big clubs myself, I go off more than the rumour mill. I can categorically tell you that it's widely known that we along with several other clubs are facing financial restrictions that force our hand when it comes to player sales.

You are grossly misunderstanding the whole situation and sticking your fingers in your ears.

Of course it's not definite he will sign for Juve as deals aren't done until the ink is dry and we aren't seemingly at that stage yet. But it's looking very, very likely.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep, at face value this looks a poor deal for us.

Why would you take it at face value when there's lots of important context to consider?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Leeroy said:

Maybe he wants to leave as well? I know it seems weird, but Juventus are still renowned in peoples eyes. There’s still the possibility he is open to leaving Villa despite achieving top 4, that could be a personal goal of his that he ticked off and he may want a new challenge in a new league. 

Personally Luiz has been one of my favourite players since his first goal for us vs Bournemouth, but if he leaves I know there’s players out there that can soften the blow. I doubt us signing Barkley and McKennie would mean we won’t sign someone like a Baena etc. 

• Like 1

I look at it like this:

2023/24:  Luiz, McGinn, Kamara, Tielemans, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam/Chambers

2024/25:  Gallagher, McGinn, Kamara, Tielemans, Barkley, McKinnee

That's a huge improvement overall to the squad and depth at central midfield.  We'd have one of the strongest CM groups in the Prem and more than enough depth to cover injuries and rotation for Europe. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

We are valuing him at a reasonable price so that we don't price him out of a move. We aren't being conned at all. We are just aware of our PSR situation and are actively doing what's required to resolve it. 

Many factors come into player valuation and one of the key ones is whether the selling club can afford to keep the player in question.

Since we can't, due to the PSR rules, his valuation will have to be lower. It's not rocket science.

We are selling him for less than his value and we would undoubtedly be asking a lot more for him if we were in a stronger position, hence we are being conned. Or to coin a more diplomatic phrase, we are getting the short end of the stick.

There are other ways around our PSR situation - i.e. selling someone else. I struggle to believe that Luiz is the only player other clubs want, we have lots of other good players here and they are less important than Luiz. 

And even if we genuinely can't offload anyone else, it's disappointing that we got ourselves into a position where we had to sell a key player before a certain date because from a business point of view it really isn't very clever. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaoDeMings said:

Why would you take it at face value when there's lots of important context to consider?

In face value, that includes all the important context we know.  

When I talk about face value I mean we don’t know if the club has a world class player to be brought in Luiz’s position lined up in another deal elsewhere.

We don’t know if Luiz has asked to leave

We actually don’t know the numbers in the deal, it might be those two players plus more cash or other details, maybe they have massive add ons or they have the wrong add on players.

The face value/context is the players named so far, the cash stated, our apparent PSR issue…that’s the deal that looks poor so I can only say that based on what has been reported hence why I say on face value.

Just now, Leeroy said:

We are selling him for less than his value and we would undoubtedly be asking a lot more for him if we were in a stronger position, hence we are being conned. Or to coin a more diplomatic phrase, we are getting the short end of the stick.

There are other ways around our PSR situation - i.e. selling someone else. I struggle to believe that Luiz is the only player other clubs want, we have lots of other good players here and they are less important than Luiz. 

And even if we genuinely can't offload anyone else, it's disappointing that we got ourselves into a position where we had to sell a key player before a certain date because from a business point of view it really isn't very clever. 

You can't sell players that nobody wants to buy. Don't forget that other clubs fave the same PSR.issues that we do and are not gonna spunk tons of money on the likes of.Moreno, Dendoncker and Duran.

We are in a pickle and the Luiz sale gets us out of it. That's the bottom line unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's not about being smarter than that it's about the reality of PSR. I work with agents of PL players and as an agent for ex pros from big clubs myself, I go off more than the rumour mill. I can categorically tell you that it's widely known that we along with several other clubs are facing financial restrictions that force our hand when it comes to player sales.

You are grossly misunderstanding the whole situation and sticking your fingers in your ears.

Of course it's not definite he will sign for Juve as deals aren't done until the ink is dry and we aren't seemingly at that stage yet. But it's looking very, very likely.

And now that Fabrizio b**tard is reporting the life out of it i really cant stand him.

Extremely risky business Imo Mckennie who was a flop at leeds and has hardly done nothing in Serie A no thank you!! 

I was only just accepting the Barkley one. (As a squad player) but this has just gone to a new level of disappointment, so ill be seeing Barkley and Mckennie and no more Luiz 😫 these are players that were only seemingly good enough for us around two seasons ago and its at THIS time we need the most premium quality type of players

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

In face value, that includes all the important context we know.  

When I talk about face value I mean we don’t know if the club has a world class player to be brought in Luiz’s position lined up in another deal elsewhere.

We don’t know if Luiz has asked to leave

We actually don’t know the numbers in the deal, it might be those two players plus more cash or other details, maybe they have massive add ons or they have the wrong add on players.

The face value/context is the players named so far, the cash stated, our apparent PSR issue…that’s the deal that looks poor so I can only say that based on what has been reported hence why I say on face value.

Fair enough. I somewhat agree with that I suppose I just have faith enough in our leadership that there is enough context behind-the-scenes that makes it a good deal for us in the long run.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

We've also been linked with a Soler/Baena type CM as well as Gallagher.  So if Luiz does go, Iling-Junior and McKennie are not replacements, just added squad depth.  The Luiz replacement will be signed after the Euros.

I think Baena is more a 10/left sided attacking midfielder and would be competing with Rogers/Buendia/Ramsey for a spot in the team more so than the others I listed. 

5 minutes ago, KMitch said:

I look at it like this:

2023/24:  Luiz, McGinn, Kamara, Tielemans, Dendoncker, Iroegbunam/Chambers

2024/25:  Gallagher, McGinn, Kamara, Tielemans, Barkley, McKinnee

That's a huge improvement overall to the squad and depth at central midfield.  We'd have one of the strongest CM groups in the Prem and more than enough depth to cover injuries and rotation for Europe. 

Yeah but Gallagher is far from a definite, in fact it’s less than 50/50 given Gallagher’s love for Chelsea.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We've also been linked with a Soler/Baena type CM as well as Gallagher.  So if Luiz does go, Iling-Junior and McKennie are not replacements, just added squad depth.  The Luiz replacement will be signed after the Euros.

Yeah thats what I think too. We've sold to help with PSR, we've gained some better squad depth, and we'll get our 'big' signing for the position after Euros.

Â