Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

16 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Interesting.

i don’t know if that means it’s 33 a year or 100 in one go. 

anyone know? Would make a big difference to us

You're the one saying you've painstakingly gone through the accounts and therefore can tell us where we're at.. You tell us

Back to transfers...

If we had Illing in part exchange for Luiz, which of Digne or Moreno will we shift? The one on big wages or the one that's had an injury plagued first full season?

Edited by StewieGriffin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Back to transfers...

If we had Illing in part exchange for Luiz, which of Digne or Moreno will we shift? The one on big wages or the one that's had an injury plagued first full season?

Iling is a winger isn't he?

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Interesting.

i don’t know if that means it’s 33 a year or 100 in one go. 

anyone know? Would make a big difference to us

It makes no difference, that's not how accounting for profit and loss works. If you sell something the transaction is recorded on the profit and loss account immediately, if the physical cash payment is made later the amount owed is just recorded as a trade debtor on the balance sheet which is a separate part of the accounts to P&L

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Iling is a winger isn't he?

He has apparently been utilised as a wing back this season as Juve mostly play a 3-5-2 system,  he only started 4 games this season (is it this season or last season now???) so would be a bit of a gamble if we signed as a full back on that amount of evidence... As a winger I read a couple of older reports on him which all described him as an old fashioned winger who wants to get to the byline and cross it in, so I can see why he'd be used a wingback rather than a genuine forward as I'm not sure there are many teams who play that way any more. If he's a winger I'm not sure how well he'd fit, if he's brought in as a full back I'm not sure he is experienced enough. I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope we sell Luiz to Arsenal... at least they will stump up the cash rather than us picking up the scraps in part exchange

20 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

It makes no difference, that's not how accounting for profit and loss works. If you sell something the transaction is recorded on the profit and loss account immediately, if the physical cash payment is made later the amount owed is just recorded as a trade debtor on the balance sheet which is a separate part of the accounts to P&L

I thought it would be counted for one year and not three I just wasn’t certain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

You're the one saying you've painstakingly gone through the accounts and therefore can tell us where we're at.. You tell us

Snarky

So, we spend about £10m on amoritisation, simultaneously bank around £50-60m for PSR purposes: am I right in thinking that? For all our trouble we additionally gain two players that a) the club have clearly liked for a while & b) play positions we do need signings in.

McKennie solves the immediate DM dilemma we have due to Kamara's injury, and his versatility means we wouldn't have to deal with a new issue once Kamara is fit. I have a feeling that Emery could make a proper player out of him.

Never watched Iling-Junior, but from what's been said by those above it sounds like he could offer further flexibility to our attack and might even be able to replace one of the LBs we're going to shift this summer.

Both players also appear to be quite accomplished in the air, which is another massive plus...

Seems like a deal that would kill quite a lot of birds with one stone: and alongside the Barkley deal would set us up very nicely to make a marquee signing or two to properly replace Luiz if needed (Tielemans...?), etc.

Edited by wishywashy
  • Like 2

Just hoping none of this is true because, atm, it feels like we’re losing a top class player and trying to fill the void with mediocre ones… they’re nowhere near his level, talent or potential. Don’t F this up Monchi…

It’s like Unai said, we don’t want to lose the potential of this side… we don’t want to end up with a weaker team FFS! Don’t give in to Juve’s cheapass tactics.

Dougie has been immense for us, especially over the course of Unai’s reign… mitigating reasons for his drop off this year or toward the end of the season but you have to be fair and look at his contribution and effectiveness as a whole and over a longer stretch of time… he’s a big part of why we managed to get into Europe for the first time since promotion and are now heading into the Champions League.

He can’t be replaced with box to box players or runners… we would need another classy operator, a playmaker or orchestrator of our play with superb technical ability and composure if we were to replace him… Unai wants a passing side that deals well with pressure.

Tielemans cannot be depended on for the whole course of a season nor show the consistency and availability that Dougie has over so many games… he’s not as good and much more injury prone (often knackered too).

To replace Dougie is not an easy task and new players need time to settle and adapt. He’s a key component of Unai’s side and often his go to man. We’d need a top class player to take on that role…

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

So, we spend about £10m on amoritisation, simultaneously bank around £50-60m for PSR purposes: am I right in thinking that? For all our trouble we additionally gain two players that a) the club have clearly liked for a while & b) play positions we do need signings in.

McKennie solves the immediate DM dilemma we have due to Kamara's injury, and his very significant versatility means we wouldn't have to deal with a new issue once Kamara is fit. I have a feeling that Emery could make a proper player out of him.

Never watched Iling-Junior, but from what's been said by those above it sounds like he could offer further flexibility to our attack and might even be able to replace one of the LBs we're going to shift this summer.

Both players also appear to be quite accomplished in the air, which is another massive plus...

Seems like a deal that would kill quite a lot of birds with one stone: and alongside the Barkley deal would set us up very nicely to make a marquee signing or two to properly replace Luiz if needed (Tielemans...?), etc.

Illing Jr is a left winger
McKennie is crap - That isn't even up for debate, he is crap.

On the financial's it depends on what the Doug's value is listed as and the Juventus players values are listed in a hypothetical deal and how many years the contract the Juventus players sign is for.

6 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t want Juve’s rejects…

Emi was an Arsenal reject too, until he was the best goal keeper in the world for us. 

Unai has (I think) more than earned our trust. It seems likely now that we will have to sacrifice Luiz this month to the PSR gods, and that sucks.

However, Monchi has been preparing this window for a year, knows exactly what profiles and players Emery wants to reshape and improve the squad, and I’ve no doubt we’ll be far stronger when the window closes than when it opens this Friday. 

Exciting times.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

57 minutes ago, Awol said:

Emi was an Arsenal reject too, until he was the best goal keeper in the world for us. 

Unai has (I think) more than earned our trust. It seems likely now that we will have to sacrifice Luiz this month to the PSR gods, and that sucks.

However, Monchi has been preparing this window for a year, knows exactly what profiles and players Emery wants to reshape and improve the squad, and I’ve no doubt we’ll be far stronger when the window closes than when it opens this Friday. 

Exciting times.

At the moment, it’s just speculation and we can react accordingly…

And, for some, initial reactions are going to be more emotional than considered or rational… that’s for later. The idea of losing such a key, important, classy and well liked player is going to affect some of us… to varying degrees.

The problem here is whether or not this sale is enforced… I’m sure Unai would not want to lose Luiz unless it was necessary. I have full faith and trust in him and he’s responsible for our success and ambition.

More of a wait and see on Monchi… we can’t be signing players Unai doesn’t actually want or rate or be pressured into a shit deal.

-

The example of Emi isn’t the best imo and is one that is often brought up…

he stood out in/after lockdown for Arsenal and was one of the most impressive players in the league… I was delighted when we were linked to him.

He wanted to be first choice or to get that chance but Arteta effed up and still preferred or prioritised Leno, who was injured at the time and restored to number 1 once he recovered.

Cutler identified Emi’s talents and prioritised him as a key transfer target. We exploited the situation magnificently. Gave and promised him the number 1 spot, regular first team football, right away and he relished the opportunity. 

During Covid time, Emi helped them win the Community Shield and FA Cup…  and much of that was down to his performances.

Emi rightly wanted to leave unless he was given that number one spot, far too good to be a backup and he’d waited long enough (promises were broken, even Wenger told him he would be number 1 but that never happened).

At that time, he was far from a “reject”…his quality was evident and being regularly displayed. I would suggest that they were loathe to let him leave and have regretted it ever since… if anything, it was Emi who forced the move rather than being rejected or seen as dispensable.

Not comparable to the kind of (mediocre) players Juve are seemingly attempting to cast off on us while trying to nab one of our best players. They should be forced to do better…

-

Looking back at Emi’s thread… he actually rejected a new contract offer from them before joining us. He was playing really well but they didn’t give him the chance or platform he deserved…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Illing Jr is a left winger
McKennie is crap - That isn't even up for debate, he is crap.

On the financial's it depends on what the Doug's value is listed as and the Juventus players values are listed in a hypothetical deal and how many years the contract the Juventus players sign is for.

A wingback in a 352 is definitely not a winger, and I disagree that McKennie is crap. Definitely at Leeds, can't dispute that: but given the circumstances at the time I think you could put someone like Rice in there and he'd have looked Sunday League. You don't force your way into the starting lineup at Juventus if you're crap.

Thanks for the insights on the finances, they're always appreciated. I assume that such a complex deal would have to be pretty favourable to us in terms of values/amoritisation for it to be worthwhile. Am I right thinking that this would be similar to the Arthur-Pjanic "loophole" but presumably without the comically overinflated values?

27 minutes ago, wishywashy said:

A wingback in a 352 is definitely not a winger, and I disagree that McKennie is crap. Definitely at Leeds, can't dispute that: but given the circumstances at the time I think you could put someone like Rice in there and he'd have looked Sunday League. You don't force your way into the starting lineup at Juventus if you're crap.

Thanks for the insights on the finances, they're always appreciated. I assume that such a complex deal would have to be pretty favourable to us in terms of values/amoritisation for it to be worthwhile. Am I right thinking that this would be similar to the Arthur-Pjanic "loophole" but presumably without the comically overinflated values?

It's similar that it involves a swap, whether values are inflated for financial reason's I have no idea and neither will anyone else until the accounts for this transaction are released...... if it happens.

On to the players Illing Jr, has played 90 minutes twice.

McKennie is crap, sorry but he is. He can't pass to save his life, look up the stats they are shocking for a midfielder and not suitable at all for a team looking to be filled with technical players, who are good in possession and can pass. He is probably one of the worst players I could think of to bring into Emery's Aston Villa team.

Edit - I forgot Illing Jr is listed on transfermarkt as only having played as a LM or LW playing for their men's team, apparently he played once in CM

Edited by paul514

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

If Luiz goes and we get this McKennie, is he a direct replacement for Luiz, or is this going to be a mix of McKennie and Barkley doing that job Luiz carried out?

Nope, utility man with lots of physicality and running... if he maintains his fitness, which has been an issue at times. Covers virtually anywhere but probably best suited to one of our "wide" CM roles unless we change systems. I would expect (hope!) another passer to be brought in to replace Doug, nobody else in our squad (nor RB, nor WM) plays that regista role.

We never knew how good he was gonna be but… some of us were excited to get him and could see his qualities when he played regularly around lockdown times. Not a reject, not a player Arsenal wanted to get rid of…

On 08/09/2020 at 23:02, Jas10 said:

Exactly my thoughts. Much much happier with Martinez than Romero too, we need a stable and reliable keeper for the long term.

Will he such a relief to get this position SORTED.

Owners are backing Deano big time, good to see and we must deliver this season (no relegation scrap).

On 08/09/2020 at 23:08, Jas10 said:

He appears to have “the lot”, delighted if we get this done.

On 08/09/2020 at 23:19, Jas10 said:

The standout keeper after lockdown, appears to have all the right qualities.

Helped his team to 2 trophies recently too, not bad...

On 08/09/2020 at 23:37, Jas10 said:

I only saw him in the games after lockdown and he really stood out and was a massive factor in Arsenal getting some of the results they did (eg vs Wolves, Chelsea, Liverpool).

He seems to have a great presence, confidence, assurance & is unphased (a world away from the likes of Nyland). 

He is at a good age & should have his best years ahead of him. Certainly appears to have all the necessary ingredients for a top PL keeper (good shot stopping, command of his area, catches the ball well etc.).

I, for one, would finally rest easy that we have a reliable GK for many seasons. It’s been such a problem position for us for far too long.

As mentioned, Arsenal fans do not want him to leave and many would like him to be first choice (Arteta has chosen Leno as undisputed no. 1, he’s been injured).

Many Arsenal fans wanted him to be number 1 and did not want him to leave…

Not at all a reject or cast off or deadwood etc.

Personal terms were agreed early… we kept pushing and our 3rd offer was finally accepted.

Emi was unsettled and unhappy, he rightly felt he deserved to play and at least show that he could be number 1 but they messed up and we took full advantage 😁

Cutler worked brilliantly with him, Emi developed and improved and even more with Unai and the new GK coach, got better with his feet too. World number 1!!

I’d love to sign another player like that or of that quality and potential! 😁
A player whose club is loathe to let them leave… that’s the kind we should be extracting from Juve, especially when they want one of ours… our very best.

But we haven’t been linked to anything or anyone of the sort so far…

Edited by Jas10

28 minutes ago, paul514 said:

team looking to be filled with technical players, who are good in possession and can pass. He is probably one of the worst players I could think of to bring into Emery's Aston Villa team.

The most crucial, the most important and most desired aspect of an Unai side…

Dougie is a MASSIVE part of that… many are underrating him (such short memories, lack of respect and appreciation) and underestimating the hole that will be left if he leaves… central midfield is so important (we struggled to get it right for yonks, Bouba and Dougie is a superb partnership) and losing a key player there is arguably more of a blow than losing a winger or attacking player.

He was reliable and constantly available too… not many players that are these days, that can continually perform at a high level too… 💰 

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wishywashy said:

McKennie solves the immediate DM dilemma we have due to Kamara's injury, and his versatility means we wouldn't have to deal with a new issue once Kamara is fit. I have a feeling that Emery could make a proper player out of him.

Do you want to see us lose 0-5 every game? McKennie as the DM?! What in the world… 

I’m American and I’ll say McKennie is CRAP! He’ll spend half the time on the treatment table too.

Can’t believe we’re talking about a potential world class player, who’s pretty much a full time Brazilian international vs. Weston f***ing McKennie… 

• Sad 1

Â