Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I was thinking, would Emery look to make Weston McKennie a RB or RWB if we go properly 3 at the back. 

I honestly don’t think so but can only go by this opinion from watching him at Leeds. Just didn’t seem to have the fitness, pace and ability offensively for such a role. He had the body shape of Winnie the Pooh!

I’m not particularly against his transfer to us as part of a Luiz deal but would have to form part of a midfield two, three or four surely depending on opposition.

Personally if we have to deal with Juve, I would have preferred a deal involving Carlos Alcaraz, Illing-Junior or Chiesa.

15 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I honestly don’t think so but can only go by this opinion from watching him at Leeds. Just didn’t seem to have the fitness, pace and ability offensively for such a role. He had the body shape of Winnie the Pooh!

I’m not particularly against his transfer to us as part of a Luiz deal but would have to form part of a midfield two, three or four surely depending on opposition.

Personally if we have to deal with Juve, I would have preferred a deal involving Carlos Alcaraz, Illing-Junior or Chiesa.

Yeah I'm ignoring Leeds entirely and just looking at his other seasons. Seems to have the stats of a Full Back or Wing Back. Carries ball forward, gets assists, very good defensively, very mobile and gets around the pitch. Seems to play a lot of 90mins so doesn't tire as much despite workload. 

I just don't see him being reliable in CM as his passing isn't good enough. Though could have said that about McGinn and he's improved under Emery.

I'm not saying we should sign him. I'm just wondering where he would fit if Emery was interested. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

This probably a slightly more credible tweet, yet there’s nothing mentioned on the sources account 

If we are prepared to accept €60m for Dougie, loads of clubs will be all over this.

IF (big IF) there is truth to the rumours, then I can only imagine this is us basically putting the FOR SALE sign out, and seeing if a bidding war ensues. 
I am sure Juve would still take €25m for McKennie is we sold Dougie elsewhere. 

13 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Lo Celso consistently has amazing underlying stats. 

So did El Ghazi, it doesn’t prove the point. Little game time at Spurs as well, he’s just not suited to PL football.

54 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I was thinking, would Emery look to make Weston McKennie a RB or RWB if we go properly 3 at the back. 

Has he ever played the position?

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

2 games at RB back in 2019 according to Transfermarkt  :D 

• Haha 1

Either we're going to end up having to sell a big value player almost every year, in which case we'll struggle to maintain Top 4 by continually selling our best players.

Or we think that our revenue will grow enough with Adidas, Betano and Champions League that we can get by on selling kids and lower value players.

If the latter, I'd suggest Dougie is worth more than 6 points to us next season of if Weston McKennie would be playing even a handful of games... and we should consider biting the bullet on the 6 point deduction

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

We need some athleticism in the midfield, to compliment the vision of Tielemans and Luiz.......a modern day version of Carradus/ Bremner.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

We need some athleticism in the midfield, to compliment the vision of Tielemans and Luiz.......a modern day version of Carradus/ Bremner.

I would agree to this, which is why I hope there is truth in us pursuing Conor Gallagher. Very much in the mold of what you have described above.  I really like Gallagher.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not right back but has been used at right wing back a couple times for Juve

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I would agree to this, which is why I hope there is truth in us pursuing Conor Gallagher. Very much in the mold of what you have described above.  I really like Gallagher.

Me too.....and its this diversity of attributes, that our team lack, despite the great league finish......its all well and good, having top players, but if they are much the same,as each other,  balance is lost.

I would have gone for him, when he was at the Albion on loan.....we simply can't afford £50 mill players, under the current restrictions.

We simply can't raise sufficient revenues, to comply with this restrictive standing.....It has tarnished the notion of having wealthy Owners, as they have their hands tied.

It could end up, jeopardising  the progress of the Premier League, by limiting the opportunity to be competitive with the top European clubs.......typical English mentality.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why are people so convinced that we’re not having PSR issues?

where did we make any profit in the last 3 years?

Have we ever, made a profit?......just the odd year, as I recall.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Have we ever, made a profit?......just the odd year, as I recall.

I don’t think the club has officially had a profitable year in a long time. 

technically, I’d say the year we sold Jack was an on the books profitable year. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Why are people so convinced that we’re not having PSR issues?

where did we make any profit in the last 3 years?

It's all in the FFP thread but we did make a profit in 2022.  Then we made a stonking great loss and this year none of us are really sure if we need to sell a player or not by the deadline.  I think that's right anyway.

I still don't think there's really a deal to be done with Juve for Doug.  They haven't got the cash and probably won't pay him much more in wages, he loves it here, his missus is here and we are in the Champions League.  We'd be better selling Cash and Duran for smaller amounts and sell Bodymoor Heath imo.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nick76 said:

So did El Ghazi, it doesn’t prove the point. Little game time at Spurs as well, he’s just not suited to PL football.

I wonder why a player who got injured a couple of times and is primarily a CAM/LM might struggle to find game time in a team with Son, Maddison, Kulusevski, Brennan Johnson and so forth.

And spurs often preferred to play 3 in the middle of the park when maddison was out. Using Bentancur at the base and the athleticism of Sarr and Bissouma further forward. 

Lo Celso scored 2 goals and got 2 assists in just 506 minutes. 

Saying he's unsuited for the premier league when he has a higher tackle success rate than any of our midfielders And attempted mroe of them. His only real weakness is lack of size in the air.

But if he can be had for less than 20 mil quid he'd be a fantastic signing. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Confused 1

Â