Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

The PL is one of the most competitive leagues in the world. 

Ligue 1 isn't. 

A point I thought would be fairly easy to grasp.

Seems not. 

City have won 6 of last 7 PL titles, PSG have won 6 of last 7 L1 titles 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Easy… we sell Doug, clear the PSR deficit.. we can spend again in July 

So could we sell Doug in June, and buy him back in July? I must be honest this FFP thing baffles me. I know it's on a 3 year cycle, but it seems so silly.  

• Haha 1

Just now, HKP90 said:

So could we sell Doug in June, and buy him back in July? I must be honest this FFP thing baffles me. I know it's on a 3 year cycle, but it seems so silly.  

Technically it’s possible. 

but very unlikely to work out as easy as that 

• Thanks 1

If Tammy is available for €10m it’s a no brainier for me. Already a fans favourite and would give great competition to Watkins. Could also play off the right with Ollie up front, he’s said in the past he prefers to be on the wing rather than up front. 

If we could get 30m+ for Duran this would be a great bit of business. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Easy… we sell Doug, clear the PSR deficit.. we can spend again in July 

Sadly, yes. Take our medicine then recover after 1st of July. As Emery has alluded to a few times.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

If Tammy is available for €10m it’s a no brainier for me. Already a fans favourite and would give great competition to Watkins. Could also play off the right with Ollie up front, he’s said in the past he prefers to be on the wing rather than up front. 

If we could get 30m+ for Duran this would be a great bit of business. 

Where on earth have you read Tammy for 10m?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

FFP is so broken and unfair.

Yes and no really. I'm yet to see anyone propose a solution to the current FFP format that keeps clubs like City and Newcastle from running away with it, whilst also allowing "ambitious" clubs like ourselves to spend.  

But that's probably for the FFP thread.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Villa_Vids said:

FFP is so broken and unfair.

The folks who say it is fair, because the big teams bring in more income, generally neglect to speculate how one becomes a Big Team. You don't catch up by going slower and spending less. That's why this version of FFP is not in the slightest bit fair. It punishes ambition and success, unless you are already successful. 

It HAS to go, and needs to be replaced by something which is fair for all teams, not just Man City, who breach them anyway!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Technically it’s possible. 

but very unlikely to work out as easy as that 

Couldn't we just "sell him" to Vitoria and loan him back with an obligation to buy.  City can get away with selling Savio to Troyes (who never played a single game for them and they've been relegated) and was loaned out to Girona. 

This is why PSR is complete bollocks, we're punished for having ambition.  You don't see Liverpool or Arsenal having to sell Salah or Odegaard.

20 minutes ago, duke313 said:

City have won 6 of last 7 PL titles, PSG have won 6 of last 7 L1 titles 🤷‍♂️

"Anyone can beat anyone in the PL"

Since man city lost to us in December they won 19 games drew 4 lost 0

Since Xmas arsenal drew 1 game and lost 1 game, won all the others 

It's a myth that sky have peddled about how competitive and exciting the PL is

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

The folks who say it is fair, because the big teams bring in more income, generally neglect to speculate how one becomes a Big Team. You don't catch up by going slower and spending less. That's why this version of FFP is not in the slightest bit fair. It punishes ambition and success, unless you are already successful. 

It HAS to go, and needs to be replaced by something which is fair for all teams, not just Man City, who breach them anyway!

I agree with your general point on ambition and the big teams but it’s a consequence not the cause, the reason was to stop teams spending beyond their means which conveniently for the big teams gave them a safety net.

I don’t know how you get to a set of rules that allow villa with great owners to spend beyond their means while stopping a team with a shit owner doing the same. Or are we happy that an ambitious poorly run club could spend its way out of existence is okay? Lerner pulled back and we were **** Xia didn’t have the cash and we were ****.

The chicken and egg of you need success to bring in the money and you need money to bring success is a problem but that’s how you grow, you can’t catch up in 5 seasons it takes much longer than that when you earn less than half of the teams you are competing with. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

That may be true, but would you have held that against Kante whilst he was in Ligue 2?

It would certainly shape my expectations of the player, yes and wouldn't stop me asking if he were capable of doing it at a higher level. 

Just now, Nicho said:

I agree with your general point on ambition and the big teams but it’s a consequence not the cause, the reason was to stop teams spending beyond their means which conveniently for the big teams gave them a safety net.

I don’t know how you get to a set of rules that allow villa with great owners to spend beyond their means while stopping a team with a shit owner doing the same. Or are we happy that an ambitious poorly run club could spend its way out of existence is okay? Lerner pulled back and we were **** Xia didn’t have the cash and we were ****.

The chicken and egg of you need success to bring in the money and you need money to bring success is a problem but that’s how you grow, you can’t catch up in 5 seasons it takes much longer than that when you earn less than half of the teams you are competing with. 

This is why I'm arguing for greater regulation, just not this in this deeply unfair configuration. 

I'm not in any way financially minded, or legally minded, but how about something like- whenever a team buys a player, a percentage of the fee is distributed amongst the remaining teams in the league, based on where they finished the previous season or estimated squad value. It would mean that the big boys could still swing their dicks around, but the rest of us still get some possibility of getting some talent in. It also means that an expensive flop (such as some of those going to Chelsea), or superfluous spending actually hurts the big teams.  

Plus this recompense would not be big enough to cause teams to deliberately finish lower. 

35 minutes ago, HolteExile said:

The PL is one of the most competitive leagues in the world. 

Ligue 1 isn't. 

A point I thought would be fairly easy to grasp.

Seems not. 

I mean...it is though. It's not at the same standard of the Premier League obviously, but in the grand scheme of things is one of the top leagues in the world, and has frequently been seen as a good league to recruit from due to the transferable nature of the style of play to that of the PL.

32 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Where on earth have you read Tammy for 10m?

Questionable source is questionable, obviously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Worst part is ... This being broadcasted every where... Actually weakens our negotiating positions for our own players FFS 🤦🏽‍♂️

It’s probably already well known within the agent sphere. Not like there wasn’t any generalwarnings. we’ve been getting news of this all year, but it’s only now fans believe it 

• Like 1

Â