Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Posted (edited)

People might have Michael Bradley PTSD from McKennie but McKennie is 10x the talent and has suffered from most sides no longer playing a 3 man midfield. But for the US, he has excelled as a box to box 3. Motivation has also been a question over his head.

But what McKennie has going for him is versatility as he can play 5/6 of the non defender positions and then has also been utilized as RWB for Juventus and the US. So in that way, it does make a lot of sense for Unai. 

So as difficult as the comparison is, McKennie is a fundamentally different player than Luiz, who only plays in the double pivot. 

And if nothing else, McKennie is excellent in the air. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

People might have Michael Bradley PTSD from McKennie but McKennie is 10x the talent and has suffered from most sides no longer playing a 3 man midfield. But for the US, he has excelled as a box to box 3. Motivation has also been a question over his head.

But what McKennie has going for him is versatility as he can play 5/6 of the non defender positions and then has also been utilized as RWB for Juventus and the US. So in that way, it does make a lot of sense for Unai. 

So as difficult as the comparison is, McKennie is a fundamentally different player than Luiz, who only plays in the double pivot. 

People remember seeing him at Leeds, and when you figure out how to evaluate ANY player under Greggggg Berhalter, please let the rest of us know.

Agree that motivation appears to be a lingering question. Also agree he has started a lot of games for Juve.

Agree with @paul514 that I'd build from the back forward: in which case, my primary concern is a Kamara rotation/replacement player (rotation eventually, starting all games the first half of the year).

Edited by 479Villan
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

This is what's strange IMO...both McKennie and Gallagher are not the same players as Luiz at all. They're not too dissimilar themselves mind.

Emery loves Luiz. He batters and bollocks him constantly, but it's because he's important, and he can do the things we need him to do. Or he can when Kamara's there...

Perhaps the Luiz performances dropping without Kamara has meant Unai wants something different in that position now? Something sturdier. The last 10-15 games of the season we were rotten. Bottom half form easily.

I don't see or want that, just trying to figure out our thinking.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Like the pennies we're looking to pay for Gallagher?

I don't think we can afford to gamble someone will be willing to bid £50m with a year left.

Chelsea can. They're about to breach FFP and are still focussing on incomings.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Sidenote.

Anyone find it funny that players alot on here are quick to slag off, are seemingly attracting interest from top, top clubs?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sky reporting this now 🤔

Re Juventus and McKennie.

I can't believe it to be honest. Still!

In this deal, if it were to come off. I'd rate McKennie maximum £15m.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sidenote.

Anyone find it funny that players alot on here are quick to slag off, are seemingly attracting interest from top, top clubs?

Like who? Who are a lot on here quick to slag off?

We aren't signing McKennie if we're signing Gallagher, they're too similar, and we aren't replacling Luiz with Gallager, as they're nothing like each other, if Luiz was to leave, we would have no choice but to sign another midfielder that resembles his skillset, as what he does is vital to the way we play, it wouldn't work just to replace him with Gallagher or McKennie

That's not to say he won't leave, I doubt he will, but it can't be guaranteed, but if he does, Gallagher if he signs would not be his replacemet - or in other words our pursuit of Gallagher doesn't make it any more likely that Luiz will leave

7 minutes ago, useless said:

We aren't signing McKennie if we're signing Gallagher, they're too similar, and we aren't replacling Luiz with Gallager, as they're nothing like each other, if Luiz was to leave, we would have no choice but to sign another midfielder that resembles his skillset, as what he does is vital to the way we play, it wouldn't work just to replace him with Gallagher or McKennie

That's not to say he won't leave, I doubt he will, but it can't be guaranteed, but if he does, Gallagher if he signs would not be his replacemet - or in other words our pursuit of Gallagher doesn't make it any more likely that Luiz will leave

We might just . . . change our style of play?

(We'd need to anyway if we sign Gallagher, you get the best out of him by pressing which we do less of than almost every other side)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I can't believe it to be honest. Still!

In this deal, if it were to come off. I'd rate McKennie maximum £15m.

Yeah something simply isn't adding up at all.

Got to be much more to this, or nothing at all.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Like who? Who are a lot on here quick to slag off?

I was thinking Cash for example, linked with Atleti and AC Milan from what I'm seeing.

Even Doug gets his share of pelters due to his recent spell of form but there is a much broader picture.

*** Also... You know I can be dramatic on here for effect at times so had to add some kick 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

We might just . . . change our style of play?

(We'd need to anyway if we sign Gallagher, you get the best out of him by pressing which we do less of than almost every other side)

Isn't that a deliberate choice though? It's not like we don't have fit players who can't press, it seems like we simply choose not to. Of course I could be wrong and Unai was waiting for players like Gallagher all along to ultimately play a high pressing style, but it seems unlikely.

Just seen a report that we could be in for Guendouzi again.... Could be the usual rehash, but it be interesting if we do sign him.

At his best he is definitely a good option, so in Unai I trust ...

A part of beeing " a big club" is to know when its time to trim the squad and sell (good) players in the right time. Even if it hurts the supporters. Maybe that time is now with Dougie.

Posted (edited)

The best thing about all the links to italian players we have had is 99.99% of it has been complete bs. So it's best to assume that way until a concrete link comes up from the A list reliable sources

Edited by CVByrne

Dybala has €12m release clause, he has had niggling injuries in his time at Roma so might be open to a move to us where we don't use him as much and manage his body better. Can play with Watkins or instead of him in no9. 

• Like 1

Â