Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No he’s not, even the Italian fans don’t call him a credible journalist 

35 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Is he? He’s come up with some fake stuff or stories that didn’t materialise iirc… unless I’m confusing him with someone else.

He may just be regurgitating what the rest of the media there have been saying too 🤷‍♂️

I’m not ruling out a sale but I am ruling out underselling or selling for a crap fee or swapping for a relatively shite player. Can’t believe that we would do a deal that didn’t benefit us as much as possible…

Nothing from Romano or any British journos… not a peep.

As someone who’s married to an Italian football fan, and who also supports a team there, I can assure you that he’s seen as their version of Ornstein, although Ornstein has an even higher success rate as he won’t comment until it’s all done, whereas Di Marzio will comment at a negotiation stage. 

It’s Nico Schira and all the others that aren’t reliable. 

• Thanks 1

Di Marzio is reliable to some degree but he’s got a fair few wrong (like most of these journalists), I believe he was seen as someone on the same level as Ornstein. Di Marzio was convinced Rice was not signing for Arsenal for example last year, but got it totally wrong. It could also be that he was fed that story by an agent at the time. 

It’s likely true that Monchi and co are in Italy for something, The Trees last week on twitter mentioned that there’s been activity to and from Milan/Italy and Brum.

Something that’s slightly interesting that I mentioned in Dougies thread is that Kia Joorabchian (Dougies agent) has put a release clause in his second top client (Zirkzee). I do wonder if Luiz has something similar? Maybe teams outside the PL might have a slightly lower price and we are ok with shifting him over there as we don’t want to strength a rival in our division. Assuming this weeks news is true… 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Juventus has something like 10m fans spread all over Italy. Any story involving them is gonna generate a lot of clicks. Stories about Juve sells.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

Connect the dots:

1. Monchis trip to Turin

2. One of most accurate Italian journos reports on what they are discussing 

3. We are known to be close to the PSR edge.

Its not really a stretch to accept that we are considering selling him to juve. I don't think Monchi would go there if they had no chance of singing him.

They don't know much. They can be interested in Luiz, but they can't afford him. Luiz would go to Juve, most players would they're a huge club. He would also stay at Villa another season I'm sure. Ultimately all the cards are in our hands. 

I mean realistically we have one position we need to address more than anything else and we've not been linked at all to any true DMs. I don't see why we should believe any rumours until someone links us to a DM. 

10 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Didn't realise Doug only had two years left.

If he won't sign a new deal, he's got to go now bearing in mind our finances.

McKennie is a monstrous downgrade. Juve have been trying to shift him from the moment they signed him.

There are plenty of good young players at Juve.

Iling-Junior is an interesting young player who'd be an intriguing development signing upfront now we seem to have given up a bit on Duran. Soule got double figures in Serie A so has huge potential.

From the more established players Manuel Locatelli is probably someone who'd fit us pretty well with what we urgently need (a DM). Milik would be a decent backup striker aswell.

McKennie, no thanks. Could understand it when we were first linked in the DS era but his comical Leeds spell has put me off.

You think in the last two years Spurs have effectively signed all of Romero, Kuluveski and Bentancur from Juventus. Kulu was 25m, Bentancur 15.9m so I simply can't believe McKennie will be anywhere near 30m, more like 10m if that.

9 hours ago, useless said:

I look at Juve fans' comments, they seem to think this is common practice for them, they will have a target - in this instant seemingly Koopmeiners, and to help with the negotiations for that target, they will pay agents, and certain media to leak stories that they have someone else lined up as an alternative, I guess to give the impression that they aren't desperate for their main actual target perhaps, so won't overpay. It's possible that that's what's happening with the Luiz to Juventus rumours

Could be the same for us given the seeming acceleration of the interest in Gallagher so we've planted fake interest in McKennie to tell Chelsea to get a move in and make a decision on his future.

One thing's for sure we aren't signing all of Gallagher, Barkley and McKennie in the same summer as that is basically signing the same midfielder three times over and we still have McGinn as first choice with those attributes so would be a complete nonsense when we need a DM at some point in the next three months.

• Like 1

I’d love us to sign Gallagher. I think Unai will try and get us to start pressing as the next phase in our development. At the moment we rarely press but maybe Unai is looking to add players who can help us to evolve our style. Gallagher would be the perfect start.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if we were after McKennie as well. He is a versatile player who is also pretty energetic. McKennie could play 6/8 as well as right mid or right back. I think Unai will try and sign more players like that who can operate in a number of positions.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if Duran and Doug left. They seem the most likely according to reports and both make sense to a certain degree. Our summer will be largely determined by who we can shift. We currently have a number of players who contribute little but cost lots in wages and amortisation. Shifting them is the most important job of all. Lots of moving parts. No wonder there are so many rumours!

My view is we have to box clever, we are punching above our weight in the League with much inferior income and playing resources than our rivals. Inevitably we need to sell to improve the squad over time, we don’t have the resources of the “big six” currently.

I would imagine there is better value and possible players available for Unai’s intention for this team.

Maybe we evolve next season (as we have to) and Luiz offers the best return with least impact given several amortised incoming players may offer better depth and skills, improving us in the medium term.

One thing I’m sure of is that I trust this management and ownership to make the right decisions.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, villaglint said:

I called this a YAWN at the beginning and I'm wobbling on that but still cant see how this can be anything but BS. 

Why would we accept 40m euros for a player with 2 years on his deal who got 10 goals and 10 assists in the last year, just become a Brazlian international and never gets injured. 

Declan (bargain of the season supposedly at £100m) only got 7 goals and 10 assists. I'd argue he's given more licence to go forward in the Arsenal system than Luiz is. 

Maybe he has a release clause in the new deal he signed. He was basically out of contract and did us a favour signing again when he could have left for Arsenal for £20m at the time or worse, free. Some say he’s on £75K pw which is low for his value. In fairness Juve are a very big club to those in the game.

14 minutes ago, trillvillan said:

I think Gustavo Hamer from a relegated Sheffield United is a better player than McKennie… yup I said it! 

And he'd come for probably 40% of the salary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If we sell Dougie for (say) £60m (he's in his prime, but only has 2 years left on his current deal)
And buy Gallagher for (say) £40m (on a 5 year deal)
Are we weaker?

From a PSR perspective, we've got about a £50m swing from those 2 deals based on the assumptions above.
So I guess we can definitely keep JJ, we've got a 'homegrown' player for Europe and it gives us a lot of space to do more.

Adding Barkley too, and then let Monchi wheel and deal on the players on the fringes - it could give us a lot of space to add real quality elsewhere.

I don't like it, but it seems to be as good as it might get - especially if we can get other players Emery wants.

Edited by Pez1974
  • Like 1

Can we go back in time briefly and sign Adam Wharton — I think he would’ve been an amazing understudy to Luiz and eventually taken the reins over. Going to be an immense talent 

17 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

If we sell Dougie for (say) £60m (he's in his prime, but only has 2 years left on his current deal)
And buy Gallagher for (say) £40m (on a 5 year deal)
Are we weaker?

From a PSR perspective, we've got about a £50m swing from those 2 deals based on the assumptions above.
So I guess we can definitely keep JJ, we've got a 'homegrown' player for Europe and it gives us a lot of space to do more.

Adding Barkley too, and then let Monchi wheel and deal on the players on the fringes - it could give us a lot of space to add real quality elsewhere.

I don't like it, but it seems to be as good as it might get - especially if we can get other players Emery wants.

Maybe we could them to ransom over Alisha as well and get another £10m.

Â