Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, allani said:

Yeah - but it's interesting that the stats really back this up as well.  The question marks for me are (a) how fit is Mings, (b) can Mings play as a RCB alongside Torres, (c) where does Konsa fit - he's a good player but I don't think he fits the brief above for either a RCB or a RB.  Can we play Konsa at RB with McGinn in front of him without compromising on getting the best out of SJM and / or unbalancing the side when we have possession?  I'm not sure that Konsa would be happy being our 3rd CB - even though he'd get plenty of games/

I'd look at Konsa being the rotation option for RCB and RB, that should see him get plenty of games. All though Konsa is a solid defender at this level, but he is at best a support act. We need a genuine world class centre back. To be a title challenger and in contention in Europe this is a requirement. This needs to be the aim. But realistically we are going to struggle with this. 

Mings won't be anywhere near ready till January. He'll do well to be part of preseason training (I expect it'll be too intense for him). So fitness wise I don't think he'll ready for any kind of selection till September. Then he'll need to gradually build his match fitness, and get his touch back. That will take 3 to 6 months. Really and truly he won't be back to his best till 25 - 26 season.

If we really have any chance of Araujo, i believe we will jump at it, as the 50 - 60 million he'll cost could well be worth it. As potentially he is world class, and he ticks all the boxes for what we lack at right centre back. Quick, aggressive, good in the air. 

At right back Nedeljovic could be that guy we need. But he'll need time even if he is. Hopefully he can have a season as back up at right back, and develop well. If he is off on loan then we need to sign another RB.

Edited by Philosopher
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

I'd look at Konsa being the rotation option for RCB and RB, that should see him get plenty of games. All though Konsa is a solid defender at this level, but he is at best a support act. We need a genuine world class centre back. To be a title challenger and in contention in Europe this is a requirement. This needs to be the aim. But realistically we are going to struggle with this. 

Mings won't be anywhere near ready till January. He'll do well to be part of preseason training (I expect it'll be too intense for him). So fitness wise I don't think he'll ready for any kind of selection till September. Then he'll need to gradually build his match fitness, and get his touch back. That will take 3 to 6 months. Really and truly he won't be back to his best till 25 - 26 season.

If we really have any chance of Araujo, i believe we will jump at it, as the 50 - 60 million he'll cost could well be worth it. As potentially he is world class, and he ticks all the boxes for what we lack at right centre back. Quick, aggressive, good in the air. 

At right back Nedeljovic could be that guy we need. But he'll need time even if he is. Hopefully he can have a season as back up at right back, and develop well. If he is off on loan then we need to sign another RB.

The RCB is definitely where I would prioritise too (alongside the DCM position).  Even if your assessment of Mings return is pessimistic - there's no way that he will be fit enough to play 20 - 30 matches before the end of 2024.  So we absolutely need someone to play there.  I think that Konsa / Nedeljovic might be enough at RB (even if we sell Cash) although, like you say, it is hard to tell whether the jump to the Premier League is one that KN can make that quickly.  But I can't think we'd have spent that long in January finding him, signing him and pushing for the medical issue to be resolved if we weren't expecting him to be in the squad.  I get the sense he'll surprise people in the same way Rogers was starting to.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Konsa as support CB? How much would you sell him for out of curiosity? 

I think we will get another CB in on loan this season, RB and CDM then LB are my main priorities this year.

1 minute ago, allani said:

The RCB is definitely where I would prioritise too (alongside the DCM position).  Even if your assessment of Mings return is pessimistic - there's no way that he will be fit enough to play 20 - 30 matches before the end of 2024.  So we absolutely need someone to play there.  I think that Konsa / Nedeljovic might be enough at RB (even if we sell Cash) although, like you say, it is hard to tell whether the jump to the Premier League is one that KN can make that quickly.  But I can't think we'd have spent that long in January finding him, signing him and pushing for the medical issue to be resolved if we weren't expecting him to be in the squad.  I get the sense he'll surprise people in the same way Rogers was starting to.

I have that feeling about Nedeljovic too. Hopefully he'll have been working hard on his spanglish, and ready to go full steam ahead in preseason.

I'd like Fofana as although he is as much an 8 as a 6, he is known for his positional sense, and athleticism (athleticism is something our midfield lacks), so he could play alongside a sitting DLP or a DM. 

I feel Luiz is up for sale, so if we get 80 million for him, and bring in Barkley,  Fofana, and Araujo for about the same money I'd be satisfied with that. Whether I'd happy or not depends on how they perform.

Alternatively if we can keep Luiz, and move on fringe players instead  (as well as bring in the aforementioned players), that would be even better.

My assessment of Mings is sensible considering it's he second ACL to that knee, plus there was cartilage damage. Throw in he is 30 and that it's inevitable that he will pick little niggling injuries on his way back to fitness I think my prognosis isn't pessimistic. We need a 5th cb.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Personally I’d take ESR.

Maybe not for the reported £40m, but honestly think he’d be brilliant on the left hand side in this Emery team. 🤷🏻‍♂️

He is a good player that's injury prone, and overpriced, so no thanks.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Personally I’d take ESR.

Maybe not for the reported £40m, but honestly think he’d be brilliant on the left hand side in this Emery team. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ya think?! We'd be having our pants pulled down for more than 20m given his current standing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

Konsa as support CB? How much would you sell him for out of curiosity? 

I think we will get another CB in on loan this season, RB and CDM then LB are my main priorities this year.

When I say support I mean he can play alongside a world class operator like  VVD or as a back up to world class partnership, but ultimately a partner of him and Torre is a little lacking as both prefer to be the covering defender, rather than do the stopping. It's why a defense with those two is back off season. That's before we talk about the weakness in the air on long balls and set pieces. Also Mings was faster than Konsa, he has good pace, but there are quicker cb's out there.

I wouldn't sell him I'd sell Carlos. But I'd say he is worth 40 to 50 million.

Edited by Philosopher

3 hours ago, Tayls said:

Just because we are Aston Villa and in the champions league, doesn’t mean we can go around taking players for free that are contracted to other teams. I mean, it should be the case, but, ultimately, it’s not 

I read he signed a two year deal with a release if they got relegated

25 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Personally I’d take ESR.

Id definitely take him its juat the injuries thats a worry for me

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Smith Rowe for 15-20m tops. Fine with that. Anymore and absolutely not. Injuries are too much of a worry.

He’s the sort of player that will just run down his contract as no one is paying what they think he’s worth… maybe let’s get him on a free in two years!?

• Like 2

In the last 2 seasons ESR has played a total of about 700 minutes of football combined in all competitions and has 4 assists to show for it. He turns 24 in the summer. Guy badly needs to go on loan somewhere where he will play week in week out for a season. If he can manage that then maybe they cn sell him for a decent fee even if he'd only have a year left on his contract by then.

As is I wouldn't want us to pay more than £10m tops for him and I doubt he'd get enough time on the pitch to prove hes worth even that. Hard pass.

I don't like the idea of selling Luiz. He was one of our most important players for most of the season before he ran out of gas and lost the partner who enabled him to do what he does best.

Since Konsa seems to have fallen out of favour on this forum why don't we sell him.

He is an England international so would fetch a decent fee.

2 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Would take him at Villa. Makes sense 

Must be well into his 30s now. I remember him at Man. City in 2011?

Dzeko on the bench for Bosnia tonight and he's 38.

• Like 1

Â