Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

Good solid signing which increases squad quality for not a lot of money.

Emery will make him better positionally!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Just because we are Aston Villa and in the champions league, doesn’t mean we can go around taking players for free that are contracted to other teams. I mean, it should be the case, but, ultimately, it’s not 

Contract was null and void for the final year once Luton got relegated Tayls.

not sure though might’ve had something in the contract stating a small amount would be paid to Luton if they did go down. 

Its like groundhog day on here, im happy to rear my head on here if this all goes wrong but lets trust the manager on who he brings in and also remember there is a fine line to going for it as you have CL to not qualifying for it next year and having over gambled

As per last convo on this topic his Villareal and Sevilla teams its about the team and not the individual - Read through those line ups and be honest to how many of them we would have accepted after previous spells with english clubs eg Capoue/Coquelin/Foyth

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

Its like groundhog day on here, im happy to rear my head on here if this all goes wrong but lets trust the manager on who he brings in and also remember there is a fine line to going for it as you have CL to not qualifying for it next year and having over gambled

As per last convo on this topic his Villareal and Sevilla teams its about the team and not the individual - Read through those line ups and be honest to how many of them we would have accepted after previous spells with english clubs eg Capoue/Coquelin/Foyth

Excellent post my friend 👏👏👏👏

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

We don't need world beaters to beat a lot of sides because we have Unai Emery and a team that listens to him.

What we do need is more bodies of an adequate level. High hopes players like Barkley and Nedelkovic can come in and make 30+ appearances each, easing the pressure on the spartans like Watkins, Luiz and McGinn who, to their detriment, we've basically needed every game.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think the big question is, does Unai want a CDM?

or does he just want better general midfielders, for the positions we already have.....I am genuinely unsure.

I don't really care how it does it....but we are conceding too many goals, and that needs fixing.

If he fixes that and we become harder to score against, I will be happy.

I know I'm a bit less concerned about clean sheets / goals against than you (a 2-1 is a just as good as a 1-0 win and all that) but I think there are probably three things that can be done that will reduce the number of goals we concede and NOT impact on the number of goals we score (at least not in a negative way).  All stats below from (or calculated from) fbref.com

(1) We need a CDM to replace / cover Kamara.  Our PPG with Kamara in the team last season was 2.05 and we conceded 22 goals whilst he was on the pitch (from 20 matches) - ignoring the minutes played element of that it averages out at 1.1 goals per game against.  At the same time we scored 36 goals in those 20 matches (1.8 goals per match).  In the 18 matches where he didn't play we gained 27 points (1.5 PPG), conceded 37 goals (2.05 goals per game) and scored 34 goals (1.88 goals per game).  Now it is overly simplistic to account for the big difference in those stats just by whether Kamara was playing - the team were shattered at the end of the season (although Kamara being available could have helped spread the load better), etc.

(2) We've conceded a lot of goals from set pieces / crosses as we've missed having someone like Mings who is competitive in the air and either wins a higher percentage of headers or at least reduces the number of second phases where the ball gets headed / passed back into the danger zone.  Although I like Konsa - one of his weaknesses is in the air (he only won 0.88 aerial challenges per 90 mins last season - putting him in the bottom 3 percentile and he made 2.14 clearances - also in the bottom 3%) compare that to Mings last season (71.8% aerial challenges won - over 2 per match, and 163 clearances in 35 matches (4.65 per match).

(3) I think we've allowed too many crosses (no stats to back this up) and that a key factor in this is down to positional issues particularly at RB.

PS - I appreciate that I haven't provided Torres's stats for issue 2 - but in my mind he's so critical to the way that we play when in possession that we have to work around his defensive frailties (for what it is worth though he matches Konsa exactly on aerial challenges won - 0.88 but makes 2.68 clearances per game so is slightly better there - but still bottom 9%).

I really hope this is guiding our transfer policy this season or (as a minimum) our training programme - i.e. potentially retraining Konsa as an out and out RB.

Edited by allani
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, striker said:

Good solid signing which increases squad quality for not a lot of money.

Emery will make him better positionally!

OK having given you a little bit of a kicking over the weekend - this is a very sensible post that I can fully agree with on every single aspect. 😉😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, allani said:

I know I'm a bit less concerned about clean sheets / goals against than you (a 2-1 is a just as good as a 1-0 win and all that) but I think there are probably three things that can be done that will reduce the number of goals we concede and NOT impact on the number of goals we score (at least not in a negative way).  All stats below from (or calculated from) fbref.com

(1) We need a CDM to replace / cover Kamara.  Our PPG with Kamara in the team last season was 2.05 and we conceded 22 goals whilst he was on the pitch (from 20 matches) - ignoring the minutes played element of that it averages out at 1.1 goals per game against.  At the same time we scored 36 goals in those 20 matches (1.8 goals per match).  In the 18 matches where he didn't play we gained 27 points (1.5 PPG), conceded 37 goals (2.05 goals per game) and scored 34 goals (1.88 goals per game).  Now it is overly simplistic to account for the big difference in those stats just by whether Kamara was playing - the team were shattered at the end of the season (although Kamara being available could have helped spread the load better), etc.

(2) We've conceded a lot of goals from set pieces / crosses as we've missed having someone like Mings who is competitive in the air and either wins a higher percentage of headers or at least reduces the number of second phases where the ball gets headed / passed back into the danger zone.  Although I like Konsa - one of his weaknesses is in the air (he only won 0.88 aerial challenges per 90 mins last season - putting him in the bottom 3 percentile and he made 2.14 clearances - also in the bottom 3%) compare that to Mings last season (71.8% aerial challenges won - over 2 per match, and 163 clearances in 35 matches (4.65 per match).

(3) I think we've allowed too many crosses (no stats to back this up) and that a key factor in this is down to positional issues particularly at RB.

PS - I appreciate that I haven't provided Torres's stats for issue 2 - but in my mind he's so critical to the way that we play when in possession that we have to work around his defensive frailties (for what it is worth though he matches Konsa exactly on aerial challenges won - 0.88 but makes 2.68 clearances per game so is slightly better there - but still bottom 9%).

I really hope this is guiding our transfer policy this season or (as a minimum) our training programme - i.e. potentially retraining Konsa as an out and out RB.

This is exactly what I and others have been banging on about. A DM that can actually defend and has aggression, as well as technical qualities. An RCB to replace Carlos who is dominant in the air, quick, and competent on the ball. Plus a RB that has pace, positions himself well and doesn't play opposition strikers onside all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Chiesa would be better for our style than Zaniolo, much more direct so would make the impact Bailey has this season I'm fairly sure.

My only worry is he was getting to elite standard, did his ACL and might just now be a good player with not much room for improvement as he hits mid 20s.

New manager doesnt like his work rate, doubt Unai be that keen

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

There is no way we're signing Weston McFlurry for £25m and there certainly isn't a chance in hell we're dropping £40m on Smith Rowe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So, Barkley is verbally agreed and all in place but won’t go through until July. I am guessing this is to do with our accounting year ending 30th June or something and keeping in line with PSR. Does that mean that we might see a couple of deals like that that won’t go through officially until our new financial year? Sounds clever in theory but how do we stop them being hijacked, especially with people like Fabrizio and Ornstein leaking every detail?

Edited by WallisFrizz

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

This is exactly what I and others have been banging on about. A DM that can actually defend and has aggression, as well as technical qualities. An RCB to replace Carlos who is dominant in the air, quick, and competent on the ball. Plus a RB that has pace, positions himself well and doesn't play opposition strikers onside all the time.

Yeah - but it's interesting that the stats really back this up as well.  The question marks for me are (a) how fit is Mings, (b) can Mings play as a RCB alongside Torres, (c) where does Konsa fit - he's a good player but I don't think he fits the brief above for either a RCB or a RB.  Can we play Konsa at RB with McGinn in front of him without compromising on getting the best out of SJM and / or unbalancing the side when we have possession?  I'm not sure that Konsa would be happy being our 3rd CB - even though he'd get plenty of games/

Edited by allani

Â