Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

McKennie outperformed Rabiot last season for Juventus

He was like a Rabiot in the headlights.

(this is just a joke, I don’t really watch any Serie A)

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

You're missing the fact that none of them players touted have played in the Prem before bar Gallagher. 

We've seen with Bailey, and this season Diaby, that you don't just waltz up and set it alight. 

For every 'foreign' player that settles 1st season, you can guarantee there are 5 or 6 who struggle. 

So yep, we'd be a lot weaker IMO. 

Yep, you're selling known entities for relative unknowns with no PL experience expecting them to be better because they have a higher ceiling 

We've seen that fail a lot of times 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Geertruida > Cash

Baena = Ramsey

Fofana < Luiz

Gallagher > Iroegbunam (who is our only other central midfield squad player currently)

We don't know these things right now though.

All of those players have never played outside their home country. Two of them have only ever played for one club.

They could take until 25/26 to adjust.

It's a list of good players you've come up with mind.

I'd also say if we sold Ramsey for £40m I'd be pretty pissed off. Price for any of our sellable assets is £70m+.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

A fit McKennie would add a lot of physicality and drive to our midfield, but he absolutely cannot play the "controller" like Dougie, nor can anyone else we have, really. Would be crazy to effectively swap them in the context of our current squad.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

I already mentioned Rogers.

McGinn, Grealish pretty much count as a 'long time ago' don't they or do you want to start throwing Dwight Yorke into the mix as profitable transfers?

Philogene's 5 mil - not really going to cover Kamaras wages for even one year - Archer is coming back isn't he so until sold permanently doesn't quite fit your argument- yes we made some money on Chuk and Ramey but not big bucks. 

Luiz wasn't a cheap signing at the time.

Ramsey was the last player who came through the youth team set up to play regularly .

Free signings on mammoth wages don't count in my book, even if they are good business overall.

But yeah you can cherry pick what you like and change the criteria of the argument to suit yours if that makes you feel better but our scouting and youth system isn't yet up to par yet, but is improving every year. We are doing a lot of things right, just love us to bring in some more leftfield signings - which we are getting linked to already so think Monchi will work that magic.

Konsa £12m

Luiz £15m 

McGinn £2.5m

Cash £14m

Moreno £13m

Mings was 3rd choice LB for Bournemouth when we took him on loan.

Watkins had one season as a striker before we signed him. Though Brentford almost always get good fees, which they did.

Most of the squad fighting relegation are still here for the Champions League. I have no concerns on our ability to develop players and increase their value. We've been doing it.

I get what you mean, we'd all love to find another McGinn or "the next Michu" but these don't happen very often. Brighton made a business model  out of doing it, but even the fees they pay are higher now, it's not easy to keep doing it

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

We don't know these things right now though.

Three of those players have never played outside their home country. Two of them have only ever played for one club.

They could take until 25/26 to adjust.

It's a list of good players you've come up with mind.

I'd also say if we sold Ramsey for £40m I'd be pretty pissed off. Price for any of our sellable assets is £70m+.

Yeah that’s fair. Lots of foreign players have settled in quickly for us though - Kamara, Torres, Moreno. At Newcastle Isak, Guimaeres, Botman were all really good in their first season. Likewise Vicario, Udogie, Van de Ven at Spurs, Paqueta, Soucek, Alvarez at West Ham etc etc.

I’ve no idea how quickly those players would take to settle, based on playing style I reckon Fofana would hit the ground running, Geertruida I think would cope physically with the league too but the Dutch league is a relatively weak league compared to ours. Gallagher obviously knows the league. Baena might be the only one that struggles to adapt straight away but yes I’m speculating. 

Just thought I’d throw it out there. If we do end up selling Ramsey or Luiz, or both, then we’re going to have to have a really, really good window if people aren’t happy with those players. So the club runs the risk of p*sing off the fans if that happens.

3 hours ago, Leeroy said:

I don't want to think about selling important assets, but here we go. Hypothetically speaking, if we sold:

• Luiz - £70m
  • Ramsey - £40m
  • Cash - £25m

And we bought:

• Geertruida - £30m
  • Baena - £45m
  • Fofana - £30m
  • Gallagher - £40m

Would we be stronger or weaker?

Considerable weaker until proven otherwise. I’d also want maybe one or two more if we’re selling all three of those. 

Tbh I’d be pretty uninspired with that window if that’s all we do. 

I also think that we might be putting too much emphasis on PL experience. We’ve seen that we can mix it with anyone with the squad we have, it’s in Europe where we’ve played average. 

Perhaps if we want to consistently go deep in European competition, CL included, we need players that have European experience and that means players that may come from inferior leagues.

3 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think I’d sell Cash, Carlos and Duran before Ramsey and Luiz.

Me too, though I think we would have to take a loss on Carlos, so I'd keep him.  Try and get £18m profit on Cash, £15m on Duran, sell Tim, KKH, Chrisene for another £12m-15m profit with buyback, Dendoncker we would probably break even, get Coutinho's wages off the books.  Surely about £50m would give us some breathing room with all the improved sponsorship deals and Champions League money on top. 

I wouldn't buy Gallagher myself, I'd try and get Onana in from Everton while they're in the shit, Smith Rowe on a loan-to-buy, a right back, Barkley and Hermoso.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, burchy said:

100% and there are others we can shift too (Digne, Dendoncker, Chambers, youngsters like Archer, Iroegbunam, Kesler, Sanson’s gone, Coutinho next).

JJ and Dougie are massive players for us and so important for our future.

Why have so many forgotten the run of form Dougie had, alongside the run of goals, creativity/assists and consecutive home wins? That was massive for our season and what we have achieved… people were raving about him as our best player then.

I also recall, in ECL, Unai wanted to rest him and keep him on the bench but we struggled in those games and were forced to bring him on to create chances for us and getting us playing… and that’s what he did. He’s proven himself many times over… the lack of respect is a bit disappointing tbh.

Just imagine if we had a fit and firing Ramsey over the course of the entire season… even better if he was back to linking up with an injury free Moreno (also being under appreciated) too.

JJ has huge potential and talent, a key part of our future. Again, his value is as low as it could be now and will skyrocket when he’s back in the side - utter stupidity to move him on this window and Unai said he wants to keep him and work with him anyway. 

People seem to value the words of idiot journos more than the main man, King Unai…

We won’t let anyone leave unless an offer that’s too good to turn down arrives… and even then, it depends on whether the player would actually want to leave (why would they? We’ve achieved something massive… Champions League! A dream come true.)

Unai said we can dream… we go forwards, not backwards.

At a time when we should be excited and looking forwards to progressing even more… there is far too much negativity and, whether people realise it or not) talk of getting weaker when we should actually be getting stronger… and need to if we want to be competitive in elite competition.

Edited by Jas10

Posted (edited)

As I’ve said before if it was my money I’d go for some experience at ST (Pavlidis) and ship out Duran.

I’d get Geetruida in as starting RB but also CB/DM cover.

Hermoso on a free, sell Digne and get Gutierrez in from Girona.

I’d also try and get Veerman or Baena as comp/cover for Luiz. I know Baena plays more left than Luiz at present but he could play more centrally. 

If we’re pushed for cash I’d play Geertruida at DM. If not then I’d try and get Wieffer.

Edited by burchy

23 minutes ago, burchy said:

I don't think luiz would want to go to go to Italy anyway, the whole story just sounds utterly made up, like the Barcelona one which was instantly debunked.

21 minutes ago, burchy said:

I also think that we might be putting too much emphasis on PL experience. We’ve seen that we can mix it with anyone with the squad we have, it’s in Europe where we’ve played average. 

Perhaps if we want to consistently go deep in European competition, CL included, we need players that have European experience and that means players that may come from inferior leagues.

I'd agree when you're adding to what you already have but not when you're replacing 3 starters 

Bring in a quality midfielder from la liga alongside luiz, no problem, replace luiz with a quality midfielder from la liga is a different proposition though 

Torres is quality and I think he can get even better but he had a learning curve this season, we'd have been a better defensive unit if he had Mings working alongside him every day, same goes for Carlos who still hasn't had that 

We could actually see Dougie sign a new contract… a more positive take on the situation rather than just (under)sell him… he’s a very valuable and important player. 

I’m sure our players are delighted to be in CL now and show their best in the commotion for US. And finish as high as possible in the league to get it again…

Must be loving it at the club and learning, developing under Unai - they seem to know how lucky they are and to appreciate and respect him. So much to enjoy and look forward to… 

They can all follow Emi’s example too…

I can't believe people are actually still debating mckennie.

Do people forget he has actually played in the PL?, and was terrible?

So bad not a single PL club signed him after his PL loan ended.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I can't believe people are actually still debating mckennie.

Do people forget he has actually played in the PL?, and was terrible?

So bad not a single PL club signed him after his PL loan ended.

We’re going to see a lot of BS coming out of Italian, Spanish, probably Turkish media all window… British too!

the most laughable is that Dougie’s valued at 40m 😂 even 70…

Best to take it all with a pinch of salt but we can still enjoy and get excited about speculation on targets, no matter how unrealistic they may be 😆 

CL helps though…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

Think the Luiz situation is very simple.

Offer him new deal, if he accepts perfect, 

If contract is not accepted, we do not actively try and sell him but we must listen and seriously consider offers if they come in

• Like 2