Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

5 hours ago, Pongo Waring said:

Could do with him 

There is another lad at Hull who looks like he has potential. I think his name is Philogene or something. We should sign him up!

• Like 1

I still cringe at the McKennie link but definitely fits the Unai idea of filling in any of the midfield positions, center or wide, depending on our set up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Had to check back to see whether that was Savile or Greaves…

Bit of a giveaway though that his surname isn't Savile.

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

I still cringe at the McKennie link but definitely fits the Unai idea of filling in any of the midfield positions, center or wide, depending on our set up. 

He was complete rubbish at Leeds.

Rabiot would be a much better fit for how we play but late 20s and high wages makes that sort of deal difficult.

Feels a bit like Juventus need a new buddy to help them out with FFP so given we're in the CL they're fluttering their eyelashes at us now.

Not sure what they're smoking if they think we'll be happy to give them Luiz for McKennie + Soule. There's a 40m difference there for a start.

If McKinnie gets his head on straight, he's the best American player in the system right now, and it's not really close. If Unai has faith that he can get that player out of him consistently? He's worth a buy.

But that's an extreme long shot, IMO.

I don't want to think about selling important assets, but here we go. Hypothetically speaking, if we sold:

• Luiz - £70m
  • Ramsey - £40m
  • Cash - £25m

And we bought:

• Geertruida - £30m
  • Baena - £45m
  • Fofana - £30m
  • Gallagher - £40m

Would we be stronger or weaker?

5 hours ago, OhioVilla said:

If McKinnie gets his head on straight, he's the best American player in the system right now, and it's not really close. If Unai has faith that he can get that player out of him consistently? He's worth a buy.

But that's an extreme long shot, IMO.

He played a lot of games and full 90 mins for Juve last season. Wasn't expecting that after the Leeds loan

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

He was complete rubbish at Leeds.

Rabiot would be a much better fit for how we play but late 20s and high wages makes that sort of deal difficult.

Feels a bit like Juventus need a new buddy to help them out with FFP so given we're in the CL they're fluttering their eyelashes at us now.

Not sure what they're smoking if they think we'll be happy to give them Luiz for McKennie + Soule. There's a 40m difference there for a start.

McKennie outperformed Rabiot last season for Juventus

Kamara will likely get back on the bench in late Nov and then mins in Dec. Hope to be back match fit by Jan. So effectively misses half the PL season and almost all of the CL group games. We need a plan for this, one option is keeping Dendonker until January and then Loaning him out again. Realistically though we need an alternative to Kamara in the squad, Tielemans is the best alternative we have atm. He was excellent when paired with McGinn for Arsenal and Bournemouth games. 

How many CMs will we need in the squad? If we add Barkley and Gallagher is this the right balance in terms of midfield? I really don't know what Emery is thinking for the next phase of evolution for the team. Is an option having an inverted full back and 3 CBs? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

If we going after an American CM / DM then surely we’d be looking at Johnny Cardoso at Betis … 

Didn't he die in 2005!? We could sign his replacement Jay Leno I suppose.

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

A lot weaker

‘A lot’ weaker you are clearly exaggerating Zatman. If we actually managed to sign those players there is clearly an argument to be had if we’d be stronger or weaker, we’d miss Luiz’s class in midfield but the strength of the squad would be improved. We know he’s a really good young player but we didn’t even really have Ramsey all season and still finished 4th.

Geertruida > Cash

Baena = Ramsey

Fofana < Luiz

Gallagher > Iroegbunam (who is our only other central midfield squad player currently)

I don’t want Luiz or Ramsey sold but if we were able to bring the quality of those four players above in we’d quite possibly be better off IMO. Big if though because we’d have lots of competition for those players.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

‘A lot’ weaker you are clearly exaggerating Zatman. If we actually managed to sign those players there is clearly an argument to be had if we’d be stronger or weaker, we’d miss Luiz’s class in midfield but the strength of the squad would be improved. We know he’s a really good young player but we didn’t even really have Ramsey all season and still finished 4th.

Geertruida > Cash

Baena = Ramsey

Fofana < Luiz

Gallagher > Iroegbunam (who is our only other central midfield squad player currently)

I don’t want Luiz or Ramsey sold but if we were able to bring the quality of those four players above in we’d quite possibly be better off IMO. Big if though because we’d have lots of competition for those players.

You're missing the fact that none of them players touted have played in the Prem before bar Gallagher. 

We've seen with Bailey, and this season Diaby, that you don't just waltz up and set it alight. 

For every 'foreign' player that settles 1st season, you can guarantee there are 5 or 6 who struggle. 

So yep, we'd be a lot weaker IMO. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Geertruida > Cash

Baena = Ramsey

Fofana < Luiz

Yep we would be weaker