Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Have you not seen the Gresford thread? ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Don't tempt me to bump your favourite thread....

Mate.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Herman22 said:

Premier League clubs will be asked next week to agree to new financial proposals aimed at boosting English sidesโ€™ competitiveness in Europe.
ย 

The proposal, put forward by Crystal Palace, aims to give clubs such as Aston Villa โ€” who were surprise qualifiers for the Champions League โ€” more flexibility around spending and financial losses.

Uefaโ€™s coefficient payments are based on a clubโ€™s past ten years of results in European competitions. For the 2023-24 season, for example, Manchester City received ยฃ28million while Newcastle United were given only ยฃ3.8million. Aston Villa will be in a similar position to Newcastle next season after qualifying for the Champions League for the first time since 1983.
Palaceโ€™s proposal, which targets the โ€œartificialโ€ impact of those coefficient payments, would alter the Premier Leagueโ€™s Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSR), allowing clubs to claim the difference in coefficient funding between themselves and the top club in Europe as allowable losses.

That could allow Villa, who are believed to be close to the line in terms of breaching PSRโ€™s maximum ยฃ105million losses over three years, an extra ยฃ20million-ยฃ30million in allowable financial losses. Newcastle, who failed to get out of the Champions League group stage, have claimed they were hamstrung in the tournament by needing to keep within PSR limits.

Palaceโ€™s chairman, Steve Parish, has long argued that Uefaโ€™s coefficient payments are unfair and, unlike the Premier Leagueโ€™s payments structure, are not based on merit according to the season just played.

The proposal will go to the Premier Leagueโ€™s annual meeting next week, where โ€” as revealed by The Times this month โ€” Villa will also try to convince clubs to raise the PSR limit from ยฃ105million to ยฃ135million. The move by Palace is regarded as an alternative plan that would help Villa but not change the general PSR limit.

Uefa is reducing the size of coefficient payments for the new Champions League format that starts next season but it is still not clear exactly what they will be.

The Premier Leagueโ€™s annual meeting near Harrogate will also vote on a proposal by Wolverhampton Wanderers to scrap VAR. Although most clubs are expected to vote against Wolves, there is a general sympathy with some of the points raised by the club.

Wolves have sent a six-page document to the other 19 clubs in support of their proposal. It claims VAR is damaging the reputation of the league. The document states: โ€œSince the introduction of VAR, we are giving oxygen to those who suggest that the Premier League and PGMOL [Professional Game Match Officials Limited, the refereesโ€™ body] are corrupt, and this is damaging the reputation of our league.

โ€œUnder the current version of VAR, itโ€™s impossible to solve the problem because people often distrust referees who are far removed from the pitch and cannot experience the game as those present do.

โ€œThe involvement of multiple referees in decision-making increases suspicion of corruption, as accountability is dispersed, making it easier to shift blame. Fans also expect technology to be 100 per cent accurate and when VAR fails to meet this expectation, itโ€™s harder to justify and explain the inaccuracies, leading to greater dissatisfaction and mistrust.โ€

That's good. Basically the big clubs with their bullshit advantages of coefficient payouts entrenching their positions. If we're allowed to get the extra PSR headroom of whatever 15-20m we'd get I don't see how that helps us with the European rules however. They're more stringent so we'll breach those and what get a fine? Or luxury tax

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I think raising it to ยฃ135m is a good compromise tbh. Every teams wage bills going up so surely taising it slightly will help every club

Yeah I agree especially as the rules are changing the year after. It's basically saying let's stop these cases and points penalties ruining the credibility and spectacle of the season. The rule changes to squad cost from 25/26 onwards. The PSR being raised allows teams to focus on the rule changes and sort their squads out without having to navigate one rule set next season and then a new one year after.

I don't this a PSR raising gives teams any real advantage in terms of transfers really. We can't go sign more players because we would have the 25/26 rules to comply with. I think what it will give us is an ability to play next season and at the end we'll know our prize money and can plan next summer if we've the flexibilityย 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

When the club published its profit and loss earlier this year (up to may 2023) it gave a figure of 119.6m loss over the 3 year period.

PSR rules allow for a loss of 105m over a 3 year period which leaves the overspend at 14.6m technically

I already explained to you how Aston Villa officially announced that the figure you mentioned didn't take into account transfer amortisation. They released a 97m figure which I'm not sure whether that is the amount of transfer fees to be amortised or the figure after amortisation.

42 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah I agree especially as the rules are changing the year after. It's basically saying let's stop these cases and points penalties ruining the credibility and spectacle of the season. The rule changes to squad cost from 25/26 onwards. The PSR being raised allows teams to focus on the rule changes and sort their squads out without having to navigate one rule set next season and then a new one year after.

I don't this a PSR raising gives teams any real advantage in terms of transfers really. We can't go sign more players because we would have the 25/26 rules to comply with. I think what it will give us is an ability to play next season and at the end we'll know our prize money and can plan next summer if we've the flexibilityย 

I agree with that CV

2 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Don't tempt me to bump your favourite thread....

Mate.

Donโ€™t join the fanboys!๐Ÿ˜€

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

ย 

This is good for the league. Itโ€™s fairer and within the rules. We should be able to have more wiggle room and not punished for climbing up the league.ย 

16 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Buendia to Milan --> Loan with option to buy? Seems like a good fit.ย 

(I don't even care which Milan)

Even to Milan Baros?ย Milan Baros Aston Villa 2005 | Aston villa, Milan baros, Astonย ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, sne said:

Linked to both Soler and Solet. Wonder who's next?

I don't know, but I have a song for them (albeit an awful one):ย MIDDLE OF THE Road - Soley Soley / To ...ย 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Not an football finance expert either but similarly come from a Financial background where you're right... your published figures are a representation of the final Profil/Loss for an accounting period, inclusive of any deductions.ย However clubs have 2 different reporting obligations;

1. One to Shareholders, stock exchanges, companies house etc.ย  -ย  this would show the complete final figures as mentioned above
  2. A report into the footballing bodies based on their criteria. We may spend money on 15 different expenses but if they only consider 10 as part of their formula then we would provide the footballing authorities with a set of figures that differ from #1 but which comply with their requirements

The public get full transparency of #1 but #2 is murkier and we have to hope the club fully understands the formula in order to stay compliant with it. Purslow being an architect of it should mean we know the requirements better than most - i hope!!!

This is 100% correct.

The big area for me which always leaves me confused is youth development, which I am certain can be deducted for PSR, but I am not sure on the exact rules - and suspect there is wriggle room. It would be hard to have a cut-off at (for example) age 18, when football has U20, U21 and U23 development leagues and competitions, including internationally - and transfer rules exist on U18 players.ย 

Mbappe moved to PSG when he was 18 - for โ‚ฌ180m, with the first season on loan. Given he was 18 - could they blag this as youth development? It would be crazy, but how would the rules be written other than age - appearances? (which could also be manipulated).

We signedย Kosta Nedeljkoviฤ‡ in January for about โ‚ฌ8m - when he was 18. Are we thinking of him as a first team player?
Lino Sousa was signed on 1st February, when he'd just turned 19. Surely he's a youth player?
We bought Duran for about ยฃ15m in January 2023, and he'd just turned 19. First team or youth?

In recent years we've spent reasonable sums of money on the likes of Louie Barry, Kellyman, Iroegbunam, Josh Feeney, Swinkels, Bogarde, and about 90% of the WBA academy. The sums invested in youth is significant, and I suspect PSR is a major factor in this.ย 
All of these transfer fees will be included in the accounts - probably being amortised over the contracts, and then recalcuated when a new deal is signed (unless different rules apply to youth transfer fees).ย 

None of us know, but if Duran and Kosta, and all the others under 21 (for example) are adjustable for PSR rules - we could be adding back ยฃm's to our published accounts just for youth development.
With the other allowances such as infrastructure and the womens team - the difference between published and PSR accounts could be well over ยฃ10m a year (and I mean well over).ย 

ย 

ย 

When is the end date for the current PSR period?ย 
Didnโ€™t Forest get into trouble because they didnโ€™t sell Johnson before the end of 30 June? Is this the same deadline for all clubs? If so would we be looking to sell players before that date and buy players after it? The Champions league money wouldnโ€™t be paid before the start of next season so wonโ€™t count towards a PSR period which ends on 30 June

2 minutes ago, mallett said:

When is the end date for the current PSR period?ย 
Didnโ€™t Forest get into trouble because they didnโ€™t sell Johnson before the end of 30 June? Is this the same deadline for all clubs? If so would we be looking to sell players before that date and buy players after it? The Champions league money wouldnโ€™t be paid before the start of next season so wonโ€™t count towards a PSR period which ends on 30 June

What usually happens is any deals for new players won't be official until the 1st of July. Banking on selling players before June 30th is not really realistic as most teams will want to have transfers go through after that date.ย 

Forest messed up plain and simple. Their PSR issue had nothing to do with the Johnson sale. Any club selling players generally know that even with deals agreed before June 30 they generally won't be ratified until July 1st.

ย 

10 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Didn't he move to Leeds last season? Or did I dream that.ย 

They didn't take up the option to sign him after getting relegated. He's sh!t though anyway so can't see us getting him. If we were going to get some USMNT represention on "the roster", i'd take Musah or Pulisic from AC personally

• Like 1

Not sure if anyone has said the express have a "dream summer" for villa we luiz signing a new deal, Summerville and Archie Brownย 

Not heard of brown before, sounds like a Brum born attacking left back playing in Belgium

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not sure if anyone has said the express have a "dream summer" for villa we luiz signing a new deal, Summerville and Archie Brownย 

Not heard of brown before, sounds like a Brum born attacking left back playing in Belgium

Is that it?ย  The Express might want to revisit the word dreamย ย ๐Ÿคฃ

• Like 2

Transfermarkt has us with 3% as an interested club for Olise but we are obviously stacked on the right with Bailey and Diaby.

He is such a a good player. Likely to go to another top 4 chasing rival. Heard on talksport Utd are close to signing them.ย 

ร—
ร—

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

ร‚