Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Mate we’ve added zero attackers and replaced Diaby with Philogene WEAKER 

No Tim,Donk,Luiz in midfield, and brought in Onana and Barkley WEAKER 

Maatsen replaced Moreno slightly stronger but Digne still starts so its not that great of an upgrade, but a top player nonetheless

We just had to start Bogarde who shouldn’t really be starting for us in PL games

btw i love the operations at the club but they should have done better here, there’s nothing wrong in saying that.

These are FACTS, so who needs help me or you ! ☝🏽

Buendia, Ramsey and Mings coming back from injury - Stronger :) 

Plus Kamara coming back sooner.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Worried about coming 6th or 7th? 

I was worried about us going out of business 7 years ago. How far we have come!

I think getting 4th again would be a monumental achievement regardless. 

United, Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs all look inconsistent. Think 4th & 5th are there for the taking if we can avoid major dips in form.

• Like 1

Squad is fairly even to last season. We are basically betting on having less injuries (Mings, Buendia, Kamara and Ramsey all back - eventually) and the development of several players like Rogers, Duran and Gauci.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Squad is fairly even to last season. We are basically betting on having less injuries (Mings, Buendia, Kamara and Ramsey all back - eventually) and the development of several players like Rogers, Duran and Gauci.  

Importantly Unai knows this better than everyone.  People worried about dropping to 6th when the man himself says we are one of eight teams going for four or five CL places and it will be extremely tough to cope in both competitions.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

Buendia, Ramsey and Mings coming back from injury - Stronger :) 

Plus Kamara coming back sooner.

Ramsey was available last season despite much absence , i do get what you mean though, but Buendia might even it out

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

Worried is the wrong word probably, but concerned we may fall behind in the league and a lot of matches to play 

1 hour ago, nepal_villan said:

Luiz - Onana

Zaniolo - Ramsey/Buendia

Lenglet - Mings

Diaby -JPB

Iroegbunam - Barkley

Moreno - Maatsen

Chambers - Kosta

We are arguably up a couple of players in squad simce Iroegbunam and Chambers barely played

• Like 4

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

Mate ok I’ll rephrase less numbers than… because thats a fact ! 

We lost 8 players who actually played any part in the first team but that includes Dendoncker and Chambers who barely count. 

We’ve added 6. But that doesn’t include adding Bogarde to the squad, the return of Buendia or the future return of Mings. 

So numbers wise we’re about where we were last season. Except with better quality 

I’d say we’re doing alright

• Like 4

6 hours ago, RicRic said:

Im slightly worried for us this season and have us down to finish 6th or 7th… we have a weaker squad despite the claims that it is stronger… both Enzo and Dendocker have gone out on loan along with Iling jr, Diaby and Luiz to add to that list too..at least one of those between Enzo and Donk could have been kept for domestic competitions. 

Yes we are still playing impressive football but we are low on numbers especially  for players that can play at this level anyway… not adding to that RB/CB area will cost us, something we probably could have got done had we not spent the whole summer chasing after that golf ball head Felix 😒 Duran is proving that he is worth whatever we was going to pay for any striker as it stands, his Liverpool heroics late last season till now has been impressive. 

We aren’t lower in numbers than last season. However you look at it. Last season we only had Cash as an RB. This season we’ve got two. With Mings back same number of CB’s plus Bogarde. We begin the season with two LB’s last year one. Midfielders same in numbers but expecting one back hopefully. The attack is better with a much developed Duran. 
Then behind that we’ve got Bailey from last year, but when we compare the others:

Rogers is better than Diaby (for our approach), Ramsey is better than Zaniolo, then we’ve got Buendia and JPB. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I think 5th would be fantastic, good chance for CL. Yet it’s second time so can’t give people chance to laugh about qualifying while not getting 4th.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Segundo said:

A couple of weeks ago I thought we'd added a lot of depth with better quality back up players, and just needed a Geertruida type to enhance our RB/RCB options.  Since then we've loaned out SIJ and Enzo, sold Archer and let Dendoncker go on loan, so I'm less convinced about our strength in depth than I was,  even though we have two decent, experienced options per position except maybe RB and LCB until Mings is back.  No doubt some of those decisions were PSR driven and I guess we only have to make it until January.  Perhaps Unai sees Digne as temporary cover for LCB because he played him there in a couple of pre-season games.        

I think the club has gambled (with agreement from Emery) in couple of things:

-depending on young players to fill the squad (I think they rate Bogarde high enough). Doing that would reduce the cost while increase those players costs, which will help revaluate the whole squad on our next rebuild.

-Players that played in higher level yet not being able to have proper minutes, went on quality loans, again reducing costs, higher values, but also improving to see if they can get integrated to the team in the future. I think it was a tough decision especially with Enzo, I think he pushed for the loan and he demanded minutes. 

However we look at it, we could see the longer term vision in it. We’ve gambled (although a resonable one) for the shorter term. Bogarde and Kosta are far from only being kids. I don’t think they’d be any worse than Lenglet or Zaniolo for example.

5 hours ago, RicRic said:

Maatsen replaced Moreno slightly stronger but Digne still starts so its not that great of an upgrade, but a top player nonetheless.

Maatsen is going to be an absolute monster when he's settled into the squad. I think he'll be regarded as one of the best full backs in the division come seasons end.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RicRic said:

Worried is the wrong word probably, but concerned we may fall behind in the league and a lot of matches to play 

Probably only the same amount as last season to be fair in terms of number of games and given our draw, aside from Juve and Munich, the others aren’t any bigger than the PL teams we play weekly and we had a few decent teams in the ECL last season as well when it comes to quality.  It’s a step up of course but not like going from no europe to Europe like Newcastle last season.  I think we’ll be ok.

• Like 1

My thoughts on the summer transfer window:

I get the restrictions we clearly had to deal with and I was very much of the view the Luiz deal was good or at least would be good and I "trusted the process" 

Both players going out on loan, stinks abit. Sure they might be worth more next year, which is great investment, however I think we just fell short in the transfer market (RB and maybe a 10) and so that investment should be now. 

I think Maatsan looks great, but 

I understand that, Juve might have been the only offer but we don't know either way. What we do know is that previous decisions put us in that place and how bad would it have been if we didn't get 4th???? We could say,  In hindsight, we got 4th so great decision, but I'm not sure it was a good business move, seems way too risky, even if it did pay off.

Onana is great and I'm sure better for Unai than Luiz. 

Philogene is a step down from Diaby

Barkley I always thought was a great signing, still do.

Maatsen looks great, but in hindsight I don't think should have been a priority. 

Anyway it's up to Unai now, with a squad I'd hope he prefers. Just a little miffed.

• Like 1

Ranking the Premier League clubs’ transfers windows: Unhinged, treacherous, hmmm - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

6 – Aston Villa

Seeing Douglas Luiz go was a blow, but Amadou Onana comes into the midfield for him and looks like being one of the top-tier signings of this summer by any club.

Elsewhere, the arrivals of Jaden Philogene from Hull City and Ian Maatsen from Chelsea for a combined £55million seem expensive, but Villa are convinced they have bought players for the present as well as the future.

They didn’t do enough to put together a squad ready to compete full throttle in both the Champions League and the Premier League, but PSR restrictions rendered that extremely difficult. Rome wasn’t built in a day, etc.

Describe it in one word: Witty

The Athletic ranked us 6th out of the 20 PL clubs in terms of "who won the transfer window".

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

6/10 seems fair for the window. We signed some quality players but also had to let some go for our financial security (out of hands unfortunately).

We couldn't shift Carlos and rejected offers for Duran, although in hindsight the decision not to sell him looks a very wise one as he could easily be worth £80-100m next summer.

We didn't sign the quality right back and attacking midfielder that some were craving (myself included) but it's clear we wanted them because of the strong Felix and Geertruida links. 

Our net spend was about £7m or something very low but I'm hoping that we've kept our powder dry for January to make a top signing if we need to.

If we want to spend more in future we need to shift the deadwood who are taking up wages like Carlos, Donk, Hause, Coutinho etc (next summer a few are out of contract which is great) and we need to increase our turnover to close to £400m. Once we do that we should be able to spend £100m net every summer in theory, provided our expenses don't shoot up too much in that time.

Edited by Leeroy

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â