Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

8 hours ago, Leeroy said:

We play an inverted left winger. We've got enough players I'm just not convinced of the quality. Buendia wasn't great even before his injury. If Ramsey gets back to his best he'll be an asset, but still lacked consistency in his first 2 seasons. Rogers could be fantastic but needs to add end product. 

But be honest, compared to our rivals, our attacking options are limited. Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs all have better quality depth. Maybe not Newcastle but they like us are struggling to break through the Sky 6 advantages.

We don’t play an inverted winger at all, imo. We play central attacking midfielders who start on the left…..Sancho is an and out winger who will keep width a lot more than Emery wants on that LHS. Anyway, as you say we definitely have the quantity and I believe we have the quality in that role. It will be interesting to see who starts there regularly as the season progresses - JJ will be huge there imo 👍

8 hours ago, est1874 said:

If Luiz only got us £25m plus a couple of unwanted prospects that we immediately got rid of for the season, why would Onana fetch us £100m?

I thought Luiz got us £42m, plus Illing a young English player who could easily be worth double next summer and Barrenachea. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I thought Luiz got us £42m, plus Illing a young English player who could easily be worth double next summer and Barrenachea. 

No, it was £42m for Luiz but we payed them £20m for the pair. So we got about £22m net.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

No, it was £42m for Luiz but we payed them £20m for the pair. So we got about £22m net.

I don’t think is right, I think it was more like €14m for the pair.

But the deal was written down: Luiz was valued higher, around £55m but Juve valued Illing Jnr at £15m and Enzo at £20m, so it was a deal that suited everyone with lower values for smaller amortised sums.

click for full article

Aston Villa’s transfer window reviewed: A mix of deluxe and low-cost signings made Emery happy

“Financial fair play?” said Aston Villa manager Unai Emery, repeating part of a question posed to him in Friday’s press conference. “I don’t understand a lot. I am asking, asking Damian (Vidagany, the director of football). But I accept it.”
Every machination, decision and action of Villa’s summer window centred on staving off profit and sustainability rules (PSR) breaches. Speak to those in charge of safeguarding Villa against the threat of such sanctions and they will explain how close the club were to facing possible points deductions.
This meant Villa had two deadlines this summer: pre-June 30, which was the end of the previous PSR accounting period, and August 30, officially the final day of the transfer window. Villa staff worked tirelessly to shapeshift and navigate the complexities and contradictions of PSR, having to sell homegrown talent for pure bookable profit while adhering to European football governing body UEFA’s rules of having ‘club-trained’ players.

On 31/08/2024 at 11:48, The_Steve said:

Onana will easily be a £100m player next summer. I think he's going to be as important as Dougie was but in a different way. I think £50m was a bargain and he will continue to improve greatly under Unai.

I think the days of £100m transfers are more or less over for the time being until they increase the PSR limits in line with inflation.  Or unless Chelsea are buying.  

A right back battery of Cash-Ned-Bogarde with Konsa as an adjunct is a poor result for Monchi, who is supposed to be a dealmaking guru. Our right side will be identified by our Champions League opponents as an obvious weakness, and they will target it. I know we were working under imposed restrictions, but it's annoying that we couldn't shift one or two of our players over the last week or so, or at least strike a loan deal for a veteran right back.

I'm sure the "proper fan" gatekeepers one here will think because I'm complaining about something I must be a Bluenose, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Edited by maqroll

1 minute ago, maqroll said:

A right back battery of Cash-Ned-Bogarde with Konsa as an adjunct is a poor result for Monchi, who is supposed to be a dealmaking guru. Our right side will be identified by our Champions League opponents as an obvious weakness, and they will target it. I know we were working under imposed restrictions, but it's annoying that we couldn't shift one or two of our players or at least strike a loan deal for a veteran right back.

I'm sure the "proper fan" gatekeepers one here will think because I'm complaining about something I must be a Bluenose, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

Re bolded part - Like who? I no ant think of any that either wouldn’t be on huge money or wouldn’t improve us. 

2 hours ago, imavillan said:

click for full article

Aston Villa’s transfer window reviewed: A mix of deluxe and low-cost signings made Emery happy

“Financial fair play?” said Aston Villa manager Unai Emery, repeating part of a question posed to him in Friday’s press conference. “I don’t understand a lot. I am asking, asking Damian (Vidagany, the director of football). But I accept it.”
Every machination, decision and action of Villa’s summer window centred on staving off profit and sustainability rules (PSR) breaches. Speak to those in charge of safeguarding Villa against the threat of such sanctions and they will explain how close the club were to facing possible points deductions.

Really interesting article. 

NSWE must be so pissed off at how the ‘big 6’ clubs are protected and they aren’t allowed to challenge the established order.

11 minutes ago, ender4 said:

NSWE must be so pissed off at how the ‘big 6’ clubs are protected and they aren’t allowed to challenge the established order.

Looking at it in another way though, we are relatively protected from any ambitious upstarts coming for a top 8 position. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, imavillan said:

click for full article

This meant Villa had two deadlines this summer: pre-June 30, which was the end of the previous PSR accounting period, and August 30, officially the final day of the transfer window. Villa staff worked tirelessly to shapeshift and navigate the complexities and contradictions of PSR, having to sell homegrown talent for pure bookable profit while adhering to European football governing body UEFA’s rules of having ‘club-trained’ players.

I think this window will be a big advantage for us, we’ve still improved, yet very low net spend. Many of the unwanted players are getting to their last year of their contracts. What has been done this window (despite being in CL) will put us in a very good position not to be done with Luiz like this summer. We’ve seen with Brighton and West Ham that you could spend on the next season or the one after for sales you’ve made before. 
We’ll have a more clear view about what we need, planning early on without rush. 

The good thing is we’re playing more youngsters right now and depending on them, they’d either fell the squad or have higher values. 
Iling and Enzo loan would hopefully develop them and they come back either ready for the squad or have a higher value. Duran value is already going higher. 

I think we have a better platform to build from right now. We usually have a good winter windows under Emery, hopefully we do a great job until then. Being in the mix and qualifying in CL. Doing that we could add one or two players in January we still have available loans.

34 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It also forces us to be smarter and recruit better. Expect more Neds come January I imagine. The rules are BS, but I trust we have the best team to help navigate it whilst keeping us competitive on the pitch. 

55 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Looking at it in another way though, we are relatively protected from any ambitious upstarts coming for a top 8 position. 

I’m not sure it does.  West Ham, Newcastle, Brighton, etc… basically have the same revenue and therefore spending power as Villa. 

Whereas the big 6 clubs can spend an extra £200-300 million more than us every summer.

45 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I’m not sure it does.  West Ham, Newcastle, Brighton, etc… basically have the same revenue and therefore spending power as Villa. 

Whereas the big 6 clubs can spend an extra £200-300 million more than us every summer.

But if you are a promoted club who has been taken over and wants to give it a go you are held back from competing with us. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â