Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

If we can move on the big costs from the club permanently next summer. 

Carlos, Digne, Coutinho, Dendonker. We look to move on Buendia and Cash also. This gives room to solve at RB, RCB and SS. 

Would be interesting if we could do something in Jan with Carlos to get in Joe Gomez possibly.

I wonder where Iling Jinior plays for Bologna, I assume one of the wingers as they play 4231/433. So we'll need to recruit a LB unless we want to keep Moreno 

1 hour ago, Amed said:

Hope I’m wrong but I genuinely feel something has changed with club and ownership. Rules are rules but how are we so much more restricted than everyone else?  It feels like owners have made some mistakes in previous years and are trying to recoup it back now - sadly smells of the end of Lerner era.

We aren’t more restricted than everyone else. We overstretched with Gerrard at the helm, achieved nothing so got in PSR trouble. One champions league qualification doesn’t change that. Man Utd make serious revenue, as do Chelsea who have also been bending the rules for years. Newcastle are more ‘like us’ but also can’t really spend. They’ve got Saudi - do you think they’d really not spend if they were able to.

Everything else about the club doesn’t suggest they’ve given up. New marketing strategy, ways to increase revenue, stadium refresh, investment into other clubs, etc. 

Have faith. It isn’t the owners that have screwed us here. 

Edited by Spoony

Frustrating transfer window. Did good early work, we had to sell Luiz for PSR reasons (bull****), but brought in Onana and Maatsen early who will become big players for us. 

But seeing Geertruida end up elsewhere when he was the missing piece in our defence was very annoying. I also feel in central defence we are light, currently we have only 2 fit senior CBs. 

In attack, the emergence of Rogers has been fantastic, but I am unsure why we didn't properly replace Diaby. Why we put all our eggs in the Felix basket I don't know, someone like Sancho on loan would have given us a boost.

We scored a lot of goals last season (76) which was a big reason we qualified for the CL, but Diaby and Luiz were involved in 28 of those goals. Not bringing in just one attacking player that has performed in a top league is a mistake IMO. 

We have a fantastic manager who will get the very best out of what we have but I am sure deep down he would have wanted a couple more high quality additions. 

2 hours ago, Amed said:

Hope I’m wrong but I genuinely feel something has changed with club and ownership. Rules are rules but how are we so much more restricted than everyone else?  It feels like owners have made some mistakes in previous years and are trying to recoup it back now - sadly smells of the end of Lerner era.

If it wasn’t restrictions, would they sell Luiz for that bad deal? Would they buy the 3 loaned players? 

3 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Frustrating transfer window. Did good early work, we had to sell Luiz for PSR reasons (bull****), but brought in Onana and Maatsen early who will become big players for us. 

But seeing Geertruida end up elsewhere when he was the missing piece in our defence was very annoying. I also feel in central defence we are light, currently we have only 2 fit senior CBs. 

In attack, the emergence of Rogers has been fantastic, but I am unsure why we didn't properly replace Diaby. Why we put all our eggs in the Felix basket I don't know, someone like Sancho on loan would have given us a boost.

We scored a lot of goals last season (76) which was a big reason we qualified for the CL, but Diaby and Luiz were involved in 28 of those goals. Not bringing in just one attacking player that has performed in a top league is a mistake IMO. 

We have a fantastic manager who will get the very best out of what we have but I am sure deep down he would have wanted a couple more high quality additions. 

Rogers is the main Diaby replacement, other than that it’s Bailey. Where would you start Diaby had he stay?

3 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Rogers is the main Diaby replacement, other than that it’s Bailey. Where would you start Diaby had he stay?

It's not really about who is starting though is it, it's about having players who can come off the bench and create or score a goal. Diaby did that multiple times last season.

Chelsea have a **** load of attackers, even I think too many, and some of them won't start. But they can rotate them in and out and keep them fresh and have game changers off the bench. Liverpool can too, Chiesa probably won't start for them but he's an amazing option off the bench. I don't think we have that luxury of depth. 

I think Diaby would have improved this season regardless and been preferred to Bailey more often. Even last season he started more games than Bailey anyway. 

I'd have been quite happy to see Diaby gone if we'd brought in a left sided attacking option like Sancho. Currently we have McGinn playing left wing for us which is just odd. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Carlos, Konsa, Torres is 3 CB with Mings nearing a return??? Why would we buy another?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GAVFV77 said:

Carlos, Konsa, Torres is 3 CB with Mings nearing a return??? Why would we buy another?

Carlos is injured currently and not very good. If Mings comes back as good as he was he strengthens us massively. Still feel we needed one more though.

Hopefully next summer we can offload Carlos and bring in someone younger and better. Mings will be 32 next summer too so we need to think about his replacement too. 

Watkins, Duran, Philogene, Buendia, Rogers, Ramsey, and Bailey are pretty good attacking options, Emery also often plays a midfielder out wide or in the No.10 role, so in certain situations the likes of Barkley, Tielemans, and McGinn can also become attacking options, Tielemans and Barkley can easily play as a No.10, McGinn can play in that area too, or as a wide midfielder

With Diaby what has happened is almost what I thought would happen last summer, when we signed him, my expectation was that the season just gone would be Bailey's last season with us and we would replace him this summer by buying back one of Aaron Ramsey or Philogene, but of course such has been Bailey's form, that instead of him being replaced with one of our returning youngsers, it was Diaby himself who replaced instead

The fact that we've got the luxury of being able to loan out Iling-Junior shows that our attack is pretty strong

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amed said:

We're not. Look at Newcastle. Owned by Saudi billionaires and hardly spent a penny this summer. We're not the only ones. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amed said:

Might be an idea to get your sense of smell checked. Might just be Covid though.

The only thing that has changed is for years as being one of the top spenders and if honest getting away with it.

The powers that be have started to punish clubs...Everton and forest.

Had they not im sure we would have spent more but we haven't. We have to cut our cloth accordingly now.

We are not a champions league club or a club that has qualified for europe on a regular basis so we do not have the revenue coming in.

We have also spent more on players with big wages that doesn't help that we can't get out.

Champions league came a year or two early. We need to get more revenue in to compete.

Sponsors....events at VP...dare I say it make a few things cheaper so that more people will pay...the demand is there but most are put off by the costs.

We need to keep the books balanced. The squad is better....more depth...players getting better..this season maybe a top 8.finish...maybe not.

We have a manager who is top class...thats points on the table....some clubs may have spent more...more players in but they need someone who knows what to do with them.

Enjoy the season all.

UTV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeroy said:

I'd have been quite happy to see Diaby gone if we'd brought in a left sided attacking option like Sancho. Currently we have McGinn playing left wing for us which is just odd. 

We’ve never played a genuine wide left player though have we?  Maatsen will soon be our attacking left side player once he replaces Digne. JJ will eventually be our left hand side no10 with Buendia and Rogers able to play both the left 10 role as well as the SS role. 

It hasn’t been a glamorous transfer window that we all hoped it would be post Champions league qualification but deep down we all knew the PSR and squad cost limitations. No point being dramatic about it, it is what it is. 

Our competitive advantage is Unai and his team, not shiny new signings. He has proved he can do wonders and overachieve with squads way worse than ours is. It may also allow him to blood in some talented young players like Rogers last season.

Unai said he was happy with the squad and unless we think he’s being ingenuine, which we have no reason to, then so should we. Can only hope we’re more lucky with injuries this season. For everything else we have the best man at the helm that we could dream of. 

Transfer window taking into consideration PSR/SCR - 7 out of 10

Transfer window ignoring PSR - 5 out of 10

Logically and my brain is with the top one.  I should be satisfied but feeling like the second one to be honest.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Brentford play better with Mbuemo and Wissa so to get out of this window with £40m is decent business 

The facts support that ,we picked up more points with out him last season than when he played.I see there is loads of posts saying basically he has a bad attitude with just a couple of stupid Tweets to back it up.I find it sad that he didn’t end up at a top PL club yours included to push on with his career and England caps.For me he is the best ever strike I have seen in a Bees shirt in my 60 plus years of supporting the club Oli was great but he never played in PL for us.Shame greed was the driving force here as much as I enjoyed his time with us and think he is a great player I’m so glad this is all over as it was becoming tedious at every press conference.

7 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

Champions league came a year or two early. We need to get more revenue in to compete.

Did it? Without the extra £50m CL revenue this season we most likely would’ve had to sell more key players, our sponsorship deals recently signed might not have been as lucrative.  To me it seems we needed to get Champions League otherwise we could’ve been set back further.

Onana is a huge signing and the window is a success because of that one deal alone for me. 

Morgan Rogers staying fit will be the make or break to our season. Convinced he’ll be a £100m player by January, especially if he puts in performances like he did against Arsenal on the world stage in a CL game against Bayern for example. 

• Like 1

It's thanks to Champions League that our revenue will be much higher this season going into next. Without it we would probably have to sell a number of players we'd rather keep instead of maybe just one or two. Yay!

Window is what it is, we had little choice to act in any other way. Some good, some bad, some remains to be seen.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â