Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

Joe Gomez still looking for a club…

He would be most expensive of the 3. Might be something to look at in Jantif we can find a move for Carlos same window. 

6 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Hate to say it, but don't see us doing big things in the transfer market until the summer of 2026. That's when many of the Gerrard-era contracts expire including those of Coutinho, Donk, Carlos and Digne.   

I get what you mean but I think we made at least one big signing in Onana and he was coveted by quite a few clubs. A lot of fans are envious about the move too… 50m is a huge fee but worth it for someone of his age, potential and physicality. 

I think Maatsen will prove to be a big signing too once he gets running here…

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

"When fit" is the issue though, he's suffered a 12+ month injury and hasn't returned yet, there's still so much uncertainty what condition he will return in, players out that long nearly always get setbacks and he hasn't any preseason to warm up. Relying on him is a big risk IMO especially for the first half of the season

There is always a risk.

JJ was injured in an international game, and initially we thought it was innocuous, but it lasted most of the season…..There is little room for speculation.

For my part, I think he will come back fine…..what I don’t know is timescales.

13 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

"When fit" is the issue though, he's suffered a 12+ month injury and hasn't returned yet, there's still so much uncertainty what condition he will return in, players out that long nearly always get setbacks and he hasn't any preseason to warm up. Relying on him is a big risk IMO especially for the first half of the season

Whether he is a big risk or a risk, is debatable.

It’s  like discussing whether a young player, will come good or not….it’s speculation.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don’t care what system we use, I just see Tyrone as a key component, in reducing last years stat of 61 goals conceded.

Ok mate, sorry if I got you worked up 😆

I think Ty will be key too, when and IF he proves his body is up to the challenge… but we have to wait and be patient for that. He’s not a young player either…

I think we have and will find other ways to concede less too. Feel like we’ve sacrificed some flair and creativity in exchange for some steel, physicality and defensive nous. Onana and Kamara together will be immense imo.

We won’t just have to rely on Ty for all that… I think we will become more robust as a team or whole anyway.

I think, again for now, Unai sees Pau and Konsa as our undisputed CBs (he recently spoke of his preference for him to play CB rather than RB) and we will see them get better and better. Konsa is a brilliant defender but I think we can expect more from Pau as he only has one season under his belt with us.

I want Mings to be heavily involved too but we can’t make a call on that yet… the pair of them could do with a bit of competition though… but we have been hindered in our capacity to spend and strengthen.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought it was clear as day when the clubs owner spoke about it.

Wonder why you didn't post your views at the time explaining it. As the owners only said the rules were unfair is all. We managed to spend plenty of money after NS said that. 

Where was your analysis then? Can you find your quotes from the time. 

Thanks in advance 

"Aftertiming - When a person claims to be on the good side of a bet or prediction after the result without proving any evidence before or during the event."

Edited by CVByrne
  • Haha 1

We deal with what we've got. In some ways I'm glad the window is closing and we can focus on the football. I take comfort in knowing that there's players still returning and I'm so excited to see Buendia and Mings return to action. It'll be a tough season, but I have total faith in Monchi and Unai. Hopefully in future windows we'll have more freedom.

• Like 1

After a few (6) drinks I’ve finally remembered that Emery got us 4th with terrible luck in terms of injuries.

He knows what’s going on and what’s right for the club, probably even more than I do. 🤔

I’d rather we tried for more signings like Ned and Rogers instead of reverting to the Martin O’Neil days of signing overpriced “experienced” PL players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

As one of the more positive posters on VT, I know many of you will be keen to read my summary on the summer transfer window. 

I’ll be straight up and honest - I thought we would bring in more players. To begin with it started to look as though we would be carrying out a complete rebuild. I was gutted that we lost Dougie as he offers so much playing box to box, to the point where there is hardly a midfielder playing in Europe that does what he does so well. I was initially surprised by the two players that we acquired from Juve as part of the deal, however now I understand a bit more about the PSR side of things, it’s starting to make more sense. I I hope they come good for us next year, otherwise we should make a decent bit of profit from their sales. 

Signing Onana and Mastsen was smart. Two excellent players, both young, both hungry, and both seemingly in demand by fellow champions league qualifying teams. Brilliant. Adding Philogene back into the mix was also a good decision, he’s played well at Hull, and I hope he can deliver for us this season, would be great to have another academy player doing the business. Barkley was another smart addition, but I’m not sure how often he will feature. 

Im not going to mention the new younger academy players, I know very little about them, but here’s hoping they do well on loan. If anything else, they are going to be handy for PSR again should it come to that. 

I expected us to sign a striker, or some sort of central attacking player. I don’t know if we have been frustrated this window by other teams, or whether it is purely is down to finances - I don’t know enough about it to really comment. But part of me feels like we should have added something in that department. 

It’s going to be an interesting season. I’m not sure if we will do as well overall in the league - it’s hard to tell. But I want to see some consistency pretty quickly, because we lost that in the second half of last season. 

Champions league though - that’s going to be quite something… bring it on! 

I’m hopeful we get some insight into this window down the road. Would’ve love to know how much PSR really hampered us. Plenty of evidence out there to suggest that was the main reason we couldn’t be as aggressive in the window as we’d hoped.

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

I’m hopeful we get some insight into this window down the road. Would’ve love to know how much PSR really hampered us. Plenty of evidence out there to suggest that was the main reason we couldn’t be as aggressive in the window as we’d hoped.

Have you seen the Talksport interviews with Vidagany and Monchi? 
Damia said that we had to sell Dougie because of PSR and Diaby because of SCR and being in CL.

As a club, we’ve been vocal about our dissatisfaction and frustration with the rules. We wanted to do more… NSWE wanted to back Unai heavily.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Wonder why you didn't post your views at the time explaining it. As the owners only said the rules were unfair is all. We managed to spend plenty of money after NS said that. 

Where was your analysis then? Can you find your quotes from the time. 

Thanks in advance 

"Aftertiming - When a person claims to be on the good side of a bet or prediction after the result without proving any evidence before or during the event."

At least you’re not aftertiming CV. You tell everyone about Villa’s ”ridiculously” good squad depth, then go beserk when a signing slips away: No dressing things up, before or after from you.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

If Unai is happy, I'm happy.

UTV

I’d agree on principle. But how do we know when our Unai is genuinely happy?

He’s a without a doubt a coaching genius, the best there is. But that doesn’t mean he always speaks the whole truth and nothing but the truth, like some unspolit child from the Bible.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â