Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

50 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

For me, the above remains a worry. Ollie on a good day is The Man. When he isn't - or he gets injured -  we have a raw, unpredictable rookie in Duran as the second option....and that's pretty much it

True.  But not many of the clubs around us have as good a second option (unpredictable as it is).  Plus - we've got two or three midfielders who will be looking at getting well into double figures for goal involvements.  Losing Ollie would be far from ideal - but that's a similar situation for any other team that loses their main goal scorer / contributor.

• Like 1

Just now, Aston_Villan4 said:

You don’t consider Maatsen or Onana to be marquee signings? Or are you referring to the Felix drama?

Yeah big established named players, like Felix, Sterling and that ilk. 

Maatsen and Onana, are the ideal signings for us. Not megastars, but can be with a great coaching set up. What we fortunately have. 

we have a handful of these kind of players and I’m quite excited by our long term future 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Why ask "how so?" then? 🤣

You've said our window is closed.

I asked how so.

You said because we aren't making any more signings.

I said that was inferred from the previous post.

You haven't explained why you think we aren't making any more signings.

I think Emery's press conference confirms that he is expecting Buendia to be available and ready to play and that Mings / Kamara are ahead (potentially a long way ahead) of where a lot of us thought they were / would be.  Obviously still risks involved but there's clearly a lot of confidence that they will be playing first team football in the not too distant future.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Maatsen and Onana, are the ideal signings for us. Not megastars, but can be with a great coaching set up. What we fortunately have. 

we have a handful of these kind of players and I’m quite excited by our long term future 

i dont think we've signed anyone that we couldn't have signed without CL football

thats the disappointment

onana and maatsen look good signings, some of the younger guys look like good prospects, but we could still have signed them if we finished 5th

• Like 2

Our "ridiculous squad depth" is quickly becoming a worry at least in defence. With Carlos and Cash out, Mings and Kamara still not fit and Geertruida not signed, we seem to have no more than 2 fit senior CBs. Konsa can't play RB because he's needed in the middle. Ned has to start. And if someone else has to be subbed off in the coming month, I guess Bogarde will play.

If anything is ridiculous it's how thin we are in defence. Maybe Rogers can do a job at CB, at least he's tall.

I don't think Onana would have signed without CL

Wasn't Ure after him?

I think Onana, apart from Kamara, is the best Villa signing in about 20 years.

I also think Maatesen will be a very good signing as well, as will Enzo.

I would have preferred a Raphinia on loan or something, but overall an 8/10 transfer window

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

You've said our window is closed.

I asked how so.

You said because we aren't making any more signings.

I said that was inferred from the previous post.

You haven't explained why you think we aren't making any more signings.

Ok Then GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

For years people have been complaining about how teams like Brighton can sign players before they become megastars and how we should be better at doing the same (whilst overlooking the flops Brighton have signed and the big hits we've signed - Luiz, McGinn, Emi, etc).

Since January we've signed Ned, Rogers, Maatsen and Onana who are all going to be big players for us this season.  Plus a handful of other youngsters who could develop significantly.  Hopefully they will provide the core of our team for a few seasons - but I expect most of them to more than double in value if we have / want to sell them.  Either way it's great for us in the mid - long term.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ROTTERDAM1982 said:

I think Onana, apart from Kamara, is the best Villa signing in about 20 years.

Very good signings indeed. 

But Emi Martinez for £17m is on a different planet in terms of importance of signing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, East London Villa said:

All of the players you mentioned are due back in full training within a month. A month in which there is a 2 week international break. You can't sign players just to cover that.

Finally some sense in here today!

7 minutes ago, East London Villa said:

All of the players you mentioned are due back in full training within a month. A month in which there is a 2 week international break. You can't sign players just to cover that.

I think the point is more so we're short at the back generally, even without Cash and Carlos being out, so that being the case just highlights how little wiggle room we have in the inevitable case of injuries there.

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i dont think we've signed anyone that we couldn't have signed without CL football

thats the disappointment

onana and maatsen look good signings, some of the younger guys look like good prospects, but we could still have signed them if we finished 5th

I'm not convinced that anyone who would only sign for us if we could offer CL football is the type of player that we should be signing.  It can be a factor (and I'm sure it was for Maatsen and Onana) but I want someone who says "I've signed because I know Unai will take me to the next level" (paraphrasing Onana) rather than "I've signed so I can play against Juventus next season." 

For example, I think CL helped us convince Emi to extend his contract but it's about more than just that - as he says we make him and his family happy and have helped him win the World Cup.

I feel for the club really, weve money to spend and sensible owners wanting the same as the fans, never a better feeling and structure around the club (certainly in my time supporting) 

Sadly hamstrung by the rules seemingly in place to keep the status quo. I'd love a fairytale to come from this and despite having to sell and limited in who we buy, we continue to defy the odds and be a success. 

I actually think we may just win something this season I really do.

UTV. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â