Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

That's it Guys.

I am Happy.

Would have like Gerty. but wasn't to be.

back to the grindstone, and focus on winning games.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think that is a significant point...as examples look how Dougie come on, and now we have MR steaming on in terms of development.

Once they settle in and get accustomed to the way we play, the ceiling could be anything.

I feel up beat, in the type of young players, we have gone for, and the likelihood of seeing better players emerge in time.

It might take a bit of time, but I foresee a stronger finish to the season this time.

I’m encouraged too… there have been good signs.

We seem to have a tight knit squad with a degree of togetherness and who seem to enjoy each other’s company.

The young base we have is really positive and, judging from recent footage and the celebrations after Jhon’s goal, there is a good vibe there… I’ve noticed how Maatsen, Ramsey, Rogers seem quite close and Duran has been involved with that group too and looks happier… Onana is going to be a big influence at such a young age too.

We have a good mix… I think we have enough senior players with plenty of experience and plenty of knowledge and guidance to share. You can’t get much better than big Emi in terms of leadership, inspiration, drive and so on and McGinn has a big and likeable personality too. He’s grown into that captaincy/leadership role really well. But they are also excellent pros… like Watkins and Tielemans too. Pau and Konsa… Digne, Bailey now, Mings to come back in… great examples to learn from and listen to.

The thing is with young players, more often than not, is that they’re more likely to listen and learn, to follow or take instructions on board and have the energy and desire that is needed… the investment into Unai’s methods. 

I think that unity and lack of egos is going to really help us and may be a big advantage we have over some other clubs/teams…

Both performances so far have been good too… we’ve made a decent start. Kind of think Arsenal got away with one there… if we can find consistency (and avoid major injuries), we are going to do really well again.

Mainly… because we have King Unai and he is getting to do things in his way…

Also recall how he said we wanted a relatively tight squad and a “family” at the club… I think we are getting there.  

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Mings will be fine....he overcome the last one, when arrived with us.

When he comes back fit, and match fit, I think we will go with a 3-4-3 Pau-Ty-Ezri

I have high hopes for Mings, Buendia and Kamara.

JJ is already back with us and going to be a big help… I think many have forgotten just how good he is and has been for us. He will remind them…

Don’t think we will change system/formation though… even if Mings just takes the Lenglet role, that’s encouraging. He could partner Pau too, I don’t think two left footers is such a big deal either… there are plenty of CB partnership consisting of two right footers.

• Like 1

We've got a very solid squad. 

I'm not a huge Cash fan, but he was good enough to get us to a conference league semi and top 4. 

Mings, Kamara, Ramsay and Buendia are big players returning. 

I'm over the moon we've brought Philogene back. Barkley is going to be excellent value for money. Onana already looks a cult hero and Matsaan is going to be viewed as a steal by the end of the season. 

We've extended the manager and the world's best keeper. We've kept Duran and Rogers is developing into what looks to be one of the signings of the last few years.

We are in a strong position. 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Nobody is disputing this but until he's actually played then unfortunately we are still dealing with the unknown. There are countless instances of players coming back from injuries and breaking down again with niggles and taking far longer to regain full fitness, or match fitness, regardless of projections.

My original post stated that it was a concern, so until he's back playing at any level then my concern will remain. As I said, I don't see Torres or Konsa staying free from injury so then the drop off at CB with Carlos and Bogarde would be significant imo. 

OK.  I obviously mistakenly took your "massive concern" and "precarious" at face value and was just trying to point out that I don't think that's the way that the club see it.  A more general concern would be a view that I fully share (for the reasons you state).  Although I disagree with your point that we are dealing with the unknown.  There's masses of data available which means that the medical team assessing Mings will have loads of information against which they can assess his injury / recovery / etc. So whilst nothing will be 100% sure until Mings is back out playing - I think the club will have pretty precise information on what could be considered likely in 90% of cases, or 70% of cases or 20% of cases (and that those scenarios will have factored in the age, general fitness, prior injury/recovery history, etc).

This means that my concerns (at the moment) have been eased by the fact that the club will have based on their action (or inaction given that we've not signed or loaned another CB) on that information and that's convinced me that they must be more confident about the situation (acknowledging your general point about risk/certainty).  Monchi and Emery are unlikely to have deliberately chosen to try and play an entire season with 3 CBs.  So from that I have (rightly or wrongly) gained confidence that they are comfortable with our defensive options over the coming weeks.  Or that if they aren't comfortable, then that they've tried everything they can to do something to address this but have been thwarted.  

I suspect that under previous leaderships / ownerships my concerns would be different.  But I don't think Emery likes leaving much to chance and / or ignoring small details let alone the big stuff.  If he had major doubts about Mings then I'm sure our priorities would be different. 

For example, we clearly needed to sign a backup CDM and so Enzo made sense as cover for Onana (once that deal was announced).  The fact that Enzo might (or has - it's hard to keep track of what has actually been confirmed and what is just random SM bods saying things have been confirmed) go out on loan - suggests to me that in the last few weeks Kamara has made significantly more progress than we had expected.

I’m chill with this window.

got out of PSR trouble and got a lot of young prospects. Building Villa up to be something special for a few years to come.

also us missing out on “marquee signings” I’m not bothered. I’m not that interested in vanity signings, “because we’re a CL club now”

or buying cover for injuries, I’m not bothered, as they’re all back soon. 

Shame we were (as all ways) limited by not being able to sell our fringe players. but that’s to be expected, it’s the same for most clubs. 

if I could leave my feeling about the window, it’s “We’re not going to the restaurant, we are cooking and Emery is a great cook

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I’m chill with this window.

got out of PSR trouble and got a lot of young prospects. Building Villa up to be something special for a few years to come.

also us missing out on “marquee signings” I’m not bothered. I’m not that interested in vanity signings, “because we’re a CL club now”

or buying cover for injuries, I’m not bothered, as they’re all back soon. 

Shame we were (as all ways) limited by not being able to sell our fringe players. but that’s to be expected, it’s the same for most clubs. 

if I could leave my feeling about the window, it’s “We are cooking, not going to the restaurant” and Emery is a great cook

You don’t consider Maatsen or Onana to be marquee signings? Or are you referring to the Felix drama?

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We've got a very solid squad. 

I'm not a huge Cash fan, but he was good enough to get us to a conference league semi and top 4. 

Mings, Kamara, Ramsay and Buendia are big players returning. 

I'm over the moon we've brought Philogene back. Barkley is going to be excellent value for money. Onana already looks a cult hero and Matsaan is going to be viewed as a steal by the end of the season. 

We've extended the manager and the world's best keeper. We've kept Duran and Rogers is developing into what looks to be one of the signings of the last few years.

We are in a strong position. 

Duran staying may be one of our better bits of the window.  When he was itching to go, I'd  have been delighted to see him go, but now he seems to have accepted he's with us, I have high hopes he'll be very handy 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â