Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You are wrong on Barkley. It had been clearly stated by Monchi that Emery directly wanted him for his physicality. How he performed here before has no relevenace he is in a completely different team and situation now. So not weird.

spacer.png
judging by those stats you can see why Unai was keen to bring in him as a midfield option - especially with recoveries, duels and progressive passes

https://www.premierleague.com/news/4044806

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

I hate when history gets rewritten to suit an agenda.

In 2021-22 we were nowhere near the club we are now and were fishing in a different market.

1. Coutinho came in and made a difference on loan. He took a wage cut and we bought him permanently.  At the time it was largely welcomed. He even showed sparks when Emery first came in but his body caved in.

2. In August 2021 it looked certain Luiz was going to Arsenal as his contract was running down. Dendonker was a solid replacement with premier league and international experience.  Luiz stayed at the end and Denson ended up as more of a squad player. We changed manager and he became even less suited to our style. We have now outgrown him.

3. Digne has been a good player for us for the past two and a half years, even seeing off Unai Emery's first signing as villa manager. 

4. Kamara on a free was a great signing. Helped us get to top 4.

1. No he wasn't I and MANY others thought signing him was incredibly stupid

2. Dendonker I agree was brought as a solid squad player.
3. I was a supporter of the Digne deal so I can't say much, but he hasn't been as good as I expected him to be. He has been a solid signing.
4. Kamara was a great signing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, East London Villa said:

If Barrenechea Dendoncker leave today and we bring nobody else in, our squad size is identical to the one we approached the 1st half of last season with. And the 2nd half of last season.

24 players, with 2 per position + 3rd choice goalkeeper + 1 spare utility player.

This is the senior squad size that Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool will all end up with by tonight.

We all want depth but that has to balanced with the financials AND how much a player in position 25, 26, 27 etc is likely to contribute vs gaining value/experience out on loan, with someone picked out of position for a couple of games instead or an U21 stepping up.

31st August 2024 (subject to late change)

GK E.Martinez R.Olsen J.Gauci
RB M.Cash K.Nedeljkovic  
CB E.Konsa D.Carlos L.Bogarde
CB P.Torres T.Mings  
LB L.Digne I.Maatsen  
DM A.Onana B.Kamara  
DLP Y.Tielemans R.Barkley  
RAM L.Bailey J.Philogene  
LAM J.McGinn J.Ramsey  
FW M.Rogers E.Buendia  
CF O.Watkins J.Duran  

1st February 2024

GK E.Martinez R.Olsen J.Gauci
RB M.Cash K.Kesler-Hayden  
CB E.Konsa D.Carlos C.Chambers
CB P.Torres C.Lenglet  
LB L.Digne A.Moreno  
DM B.Kamara* T.Iroegbunam  
DLP D.Luiz Y.Tielemans  
RAM L.Bailey N.Zaniolo  
LAM J.McGinn M.Rogers  
FW M.Diaby O.Kellyman  
CF O.Watkins J.Duran  

1st September 2023

GK E.Martinez R.Olsen F.Marschall
RB M.Cash C.Chambers  
CB E.Konsa D.Carlos  
CB P.Torres C.Lenglet  
LB L.Digne A.Moreno  
DM B.Kamara L.Dendoncker  
DLP D.Luiz Y.Tielemans  
RAM L.Bailey N.Zaniolo  
LAM J.McGinn J.Ramsey*  
FW M.Diaby B.Traore O.Kellyman
CF O.Watkins J.Duran  

*got a long term injury after the transfer deadline

Thanks for this! Basically the last word on the transfer window and clearly shows a step up in the squad in via a measured and sustainable approach 

• Like 1

PSR has changed everything. I dont think Newcastle have signed anyone because of it. Nobody else were willimg to buy Luiz before the end of June so we couid avoid a points deduction this season. Its not the best window but we hsve strengthed the squad and strengthened a xoyple of areas of the pitch. Just have to get on with it.

Edited by PaulC

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

spacer.png
judging by those stats you can see why Unai was keen to bring in him as a midfield option - especially with recoveries, duels and progressive passes

https://www.premierleague.com/news/4044806

I don't think it's a bad signing, I'm just saying I found it weird. Moreso that he even wanted to come back. 

4 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

The rules are the fundamental problem. It’s absolutely ridiculous to blame this on Purslow/Gerrard. It’s a simplistic easy answer. We’ve been terrible at selling players for years. What helped us massively was the Grealish deal. What was the biggest sale after that? Diaby this summer and Luiz at £42m. What was the biggest sale we had before Grealish, Diaby and Luiz? Benteke to Liverpool. We are slowly correcting the mistakes of previous management and owners. 

You can say it's the rules, but for sure that particular time of recruitment was extremely poor, and whichever way you cut it the players concerned have no resale value and contributed very little.

Ings bought for £25M, 3 year contract on approx £5.5M a year, played 48 times sold for £12M

Dendoncker bought for £13M, 4 year contract on approx £3.8M a year, played 28 times, can't sell him (assume due to his salary), and therefore will have no resale value

Coutinho bought for £17M, 4 year contract on approx £6M a year, played 22 times, can't sell him (assume due to his salary), and therefore will have no resale value

Carlos bought for £26M, 4 year contract on approx £4.5M a year, played 30 times, don't appear able to sell him, will probably leave on a free.

Thats £81M in fees and £68.2M in salary.

4 players, played 128 games (up until now) and cost £137.2M, thats £1.07M per game played. Our 22/23 accounts showed income from Gate Receipts for the year to be £18.8M so that means they cost us the equivalent of 7 seasons of gate receipts.

The issue isn't what's been paid, it's what they have contributed, and for those particular players all bought around the same time, the answer is very little. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dissappointment aside.

A lad on one of the Villa groups just did a good graphic.

When everyone is fit, we actually DO have 2 quality players per position.

So it's really not as bad as we may feel. ( Obviously only RB really u for debate )

LB: Digne, Maatsen

LCB: Pau, Mings

RCB: Konsa, Carlos

RB:  Cash, Ned

LM/LW: MgGinn, Ramsey

DM: Onana, Kamara

CM: Tielemans, Barkley

ACM: Rogers, Buendia

RM/RW: Bailey, JPB

Striker: Ollie, Duran

It is seriously nowhere as worrying as we may feel atm.

Obviously we have the caveat that we need to hope Tryone and Kamara can come back quickly and strong, as well as hope no injuries occur until they do!

None of the above are just Academy patch players either, they are all high level players.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Best way I can describe this window is, weird.

It's been weird from day one and the ending has been weird. 

We start out selling Luiz to Juventus and in return trying to sign McKennie (weird) and Iling Junior. Two players that don't make us any better. Weird. We then learn McKennie isn't part of the deal either because a) contractual issues, or b) he's too fat. Not sure. Either way, he gets subbed out of the deal and Barrenechea is parachuted in. Someone I'm sure you'll admit, you've never heard of before the start of the window. Weird deal.

We re-sign Barkley. Weird. Not because I don't think he's a decent squad option, more because he doesn't have a great relationship with the fans and his last spell here was a disaster quite frankly. So that was weird.

We sell Kellyman to Chelsea for £20m. Mega weird.

We spend 3 months being told Felix is close to joining or we're after him with Emery speaking to him every day. Then he signs for Chelsea. Kinda weird.

We sell Irroegbunam for 10m! Great! Oh wait, who's this Dobbin bloke coming the other way for 10m. That's weird. 

Iling Junior and Barrenechea are loaned out. Erm, ok, we've sold arguably our best midfielder and replaced him with two players who aren't needed? (I understand the long term PSR benefits). That's a bit weird. Why didn't we just sell for more money/to somebody else/involve players we do need...? Weird.

The Geertruida stuff. More frustrating than anything. 

Weird. Weird. Weird. (and I'm sure i've probably missed a few things).

But I'm fine with it. 

You missed off the signings of two first team players Onana and Maatsen 

Just now, rodders129 said:

Thanks for this! Basically the last word on the transfer window and clearly shows a step up in the squad in via a measured and sustainable approach 

Thanks. For the record I'm disappointed that we haven't managed to do a bit more, but it would have meant shifting Carlos for a defender, or Duran for an attacker. Suitors for Carlos have come and gone in a different direction, understandable given his huge wages, age and injury record. Duran had interest but not at the value that would make it worth selling him, since he has a lot of potential.

I trust that Emery Monchi etc have made us as strong as they possibly could within the confines of Premier League PSR and UEFA SCR (which drops again next year from 80% to 70%).

Now down to Emery to prove he can coach the likes of Nedeljkovic Philogene Bogarde into Premier League players, get the best out of Barkley and the returning injured.

9 minutes ago, paul514 said:

1. No he wasn't I and MANY others thought signing him was incredibly stupid

2. Dendonker I agree was brought as a solid squad player.
3. I was a supporter of the Digne deal so I can't say much, but he hasn't been as good as I expected him to be. He has been a solid signing.
4. Kamara was a great signing.

Yeah, for sure, there was risk with Coutinho on a permanent but you can see why it was sanctioned. He was terrific in some of our best performances January-May 2022. Yes it hasn't worked out! But one dud doesn't negate my point, it is hyperbole to lay the blame with Purslow. The squad that finished 7th with Emery was 95% a squad built in the Purslow era.

If hindsight were foresight no club would ever end up with deadwood but every Club does eventually. 

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, East London Villa said:

Thanks. For the record I'm disappointed that we haven't managed to do a bit more, but it would have meant shifting Carlos for a defender, or Duran for an attacker. Suitors for Carlos have come and gone in a different direction, understandable given his huge wages, age and injury record. Duran had interest but not at the value that would make it worth selling him, since he has a lot of potential.

I trust that Emery Monchi etc have made us as strong as they possibly could within the confines of Premier League PSR and UEFA SCR (which drops again next year from 80% to 70%).

Now down to Emery to prove he can coach the likes of Nedeljkovic Philogene Bogarde into Premier League players, get the best out of Barkley and the returning injured.

Next season I reckon we’ll need to sell one or two ‘assets’. I think there’s a chance it’s Kamara. We’d be looking at 50 mill pure profit with an eye to Barrenechea coming back as cover.

I could also see Cash being sold given his age and the fact we could get 25/30 mill for him (I’m a big advocate of Cashy btw)

We’d then have 80m to reinvest probably on a versatile defender (Rb/CB) and a ST/WF both in the sub 25 age bracket 

The deadwood at that stage will be Coutinho and Dendoncker, with Carlos and Digne as v expensive older players 

Edited by rodders129

Just now, rodders129 said:

Next season I reckon we’ll need to sell one or two ‘assets’. I think there’s a chance it’s Kamara. We’d be looking at 50 mill pure profit with an eye to Barrenechea coming back as cover.

I could also see Cash being sold given his age and the fact we could get 25/30 mill for him (I’m a big advocate of Cashy btw)

We’d then have 80m to reinvest probably on a versatile defender (Rb/CB) and a ST/WF both in the sub 25 age bracket 

As long as it’s not Rogers who we have to sell next summer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dissappointment aside.

So it's really not as bad as we may feel. ( Obviously only RB really u for debate )

Obviously we have the caveat that we need to hope Tryone and Kamara can come back quickly and strong, as well as hope no injuries occur until they do!

None of the above are just Academy patch players either, they are all high level players.

Thought this all along & have said it's a solid window considering the PSR & UEFA 80% wage constraints. If we are lucky with injuries this season I expect us to be fighting for that 4th spot & expect to qualify for the Champions League knock out phase, also think we will go further in the cups. We're stronger Sqaud & a wiser Sqaud & we have one of the best managers about. Emery managed to get us to 4th last season with Mings, Beundia & Ramsey out all season & Kamara out for half a season .... 2 are back in the Sqaud 2 are back very soon. Never back against Emery, his tool box is bigger & better than last season.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Dissappointment aside.

I don't know if it's a VT thing or our fans are just generally glass half empty people?

Maybe it's a Birmingham thing.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Frodo said:

Thought this all along & have said it's a solid window considering the PSR & UEFA 80% wage constraints. If we are lucky with injuries this season I expect us to be fighting for that 4th spot & expect to qualify for the Champions League knock out phase, also think we will go further in the cups. We're stronger Sqaud & a wiser Sqaud & we have one of the best managers about. Emery managed to get us to 4th last season with Mings, Beundia & Ramsey out all season & Kamara out for half a season .... 2 are back in the Sqaud 2 are back very soon. Never back against Emery, his tool box is bigger & better than last season.

spacer.png

It seems reasonably clear to me that the reason for many of our fans feeling disappointment with the window (myself included a little bit) is down to expectation given the season we just had. The comments in this season's match thread so far, which have repeatedly mentioned the strength of our bench, illustrate to me at least that we have improved our squad depth considerably this summer, and I think we all realise that our drop off at the end of last season was in part due to our limited depth leading to our players being gassed for the final run in. That element I think we have improved, even if not monumentally.

The only objective arguments which make sense to me regarding the window being a poor one are; that we lost Dougie (which does suck, obviously), and that we were expecting big name signings on the back of CL qualification.  

As I've mentioned before, the loss of Doug is a blow, but in terms of influence on games, I don't think Doug was all that influential. Last year we got more ppg with Doug out of the side (1.63ppg), than with him in it (1.44ppg).

I would argue that the effect that the loss of Pau when he got injured showed the real effect of a principal player's influence on results. Last year we got 2.06ppg with Pau in the side, and 0.88ppg with him out. 

In terms of the big signing argument, yeah it would have been nice, but what matters is team cohesion, and how we get results as a collective. I'm not nearly as down on the window as some on here, although I understand why there is some disgruntlement. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

Funny, I'm actually sitting watching The fellowship of the ring, extended edition all in lovely 4k ... decided to put it on because I couldn't stand watching sky sports news anymore this morning 🤢🤮

• Like 2

Just now, Frodo said:

Funny, I'm actually sitting watching The fellowship of the ring, extended edition all in lovely 4k ... decided to put it on because I couldn't stand watching sky sports news anymore this morning 🤢🤮

Must be odd watching your old journey in 4K?

1st February 2024                 31st August 2024 (subject to late change)
          Better 0/1          
GK E.Martinez R.Olsen J.Gauci   0 0 0 0   GK E.Martinez R.Olsen J.Gauci
RB M.Cash K.Kesler-Hayden     0 1   1   RB M.Cash K.Nedeljkovic  
CB E.Konsa D.Carlos C.Chambers   0 0 0 0   CB E.Konsa D.Carlos L.Bogarde
CB P.Torres C.Lenglet     0 0 * 0   CB P.Torres T.Mings  
LB L.Digne A.Moreno     0 1   1   LB L.Digne I.Maatsen  
DM B.Kamara* T.Iroegbunam     0 1   1   DM A.Onana B.Kamara  
DLP D.Luiz Y.Tielemans     0 -1   -1   DLP Y.Tielemans R.Barkley  
RAM L.Bailey N.Zaniolo     0 0   0   RAM L.Bailey J.Philogene  
LAM J.McGinn M.Rogers     0 -1   -1   LAM J.McGinn J.Ramsey  
FW M.Diaby O.Kellyman     0 1   1   FW M.Rogers E.Buendia  
CF O.Watkins J.Duran     0 0   0   CF O.Watkins J.Duran  

Excusing the fact that we can't fully judge the window until the end of the season, @East London Villa useful little grid, strangely has made me feel better about things.

Don't know how to post it in a more visually friendly way but I essentially tweaked an old technique where you measure each attribute (player) to see if the new option is better (+1)/ worse (-1) / even (0). From this you get an accumulated value. For some changes I've erred more on the side of caution and said its even (such as Lenglet to Mings) due to the post-injury form being an unknown. The change from Jan to now gives an overall mark up of +2 despite some conservative scoring. 

The downside being that the loss of one player vs the gain of another may not be equal (-1 and 1) but for a purely basic check we've survived the PSR deadline in June and come out slightly better. 

For that, hats off to Monchi and co

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â