Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91qsenb0imjgsn8eini0

The rules are the fundamental problem. It’s absolutely ridiculous to blame this on Purslow/Gerrard. It’s a simplistic easy answer. We’ve been terrible at selling players for years. What helped us massively was the Grealish deal. What was the biggest sale after that? Diaby this summer and Luiz at £42m. What was the biggest sale we had before Grealish, Diaby and Luiz? Benteke to Liverpool. We are slowly correcting the mistakes of previous management and owners. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, avfc1982am said:

Mings hasn't played for 15 months, so with all due respect nobody knows how he'll be when he's eventually match fit. 

No.  But the coaching and medical teams will have access to a lot of data specific to Mings, a lot of data specific to similar injuries and a lot of case studies (from multiple sports) that will mean that they will be in a better position to make informed projections about when he is likely to be fit / match fit than us.  Clearly there are no guarantees and there is always an element of risk.  But if the prognosis on Mings or Kamara was bad then I'm sure that would have fed into our recruitment priorities.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

It’s absolutely ridiculous to blame this on Purslow/Gerrard.

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

We are slowly correcting the mistakes of previous management and owners. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, allani said:

Payed???  From someone studying for a PhD.........

😆

He makes a good point though, a statement that has always looked and sounded foolish but is so often repeated by so many fans. What we pay does matter… always.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Dendoncker was only 27 😂

Yeah, not exactly old but has virtually no resale value and a massive contract. I assume that was more the point. 

1 minute ago, allani said:

Payed???  From someone studying for a PhD.........

I can't spell to save my life but payed is my pet peeve. I can't work out why so many people spell it like that.

Best way I can describe this window is, weird.

It's been weird from day one and the ending has been weird. 

We start out selling Luiz to Juventus and in return trying to sign McKennie (weird) and Iling Junior. Two players that don't make us any better. Weird. We then learn McKennie isn't part of the deal either because a) contractual issues, or b) he's too fat. Not sure. Either way, he gets subbed out of the deal and Barrenechea is parachuted in. Someone I'm sure you'll admit, you've never heard of before the start of the window. Weird deal.

We re-sign Barkley. Weird. Not because I don't think he's a decent squad option, more because he doesn't have a great relationship with the fans and his last spell here was a disaster quite frankly. So that was weird.

We sell Kellyman to Chelsea for £20m. Mega weird.

We spend 3 months being told Felix is close to joining or we're after him with Emery speaking to him every day. Then he signs for Chelsea. Kinda weird.

We sell Irroegbunam for 10m! Great! Oh wait, who's this Dobbin bloke coming the other way for 10m. That's weird. 

Iling Junior and Barrenechea are loaned out. Erm, ok, we've sold arguably our best midfielder and replaced him with two players who aren't needed? (I understand the long term PSR benefits). That's a bit weird. Why didn't we just sell for more money/to somebody else/involve players we do need...? Weird.

The Geertruida stuff. More frustrating than anything. 

Weird. Weird. Weird. (and I'm sure i've probably missed a few things).

But I'm fine with it. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, allani said:

No.  But the coaching and medical teams will have access to a lot of data specific to Mings, a lot of data specific to similar injuries and a lot of case studies (from multiple sports) that will mean that they will be in a better position to make informed projections about when he is likely to be fit / match fit than us.  Clearly there are no guarantees and there is always an element of risk.  But if the prognosis on Mings or Kamara was bad then I'm sure that would have fed into our recruitment priorities.

Nobody is disputing this but until he's actually played then unfortunately we are still dealing with the unknown. There are countless instances of players coming back from injuries and breaking down again with niggles and taking far longer to regain full fitness, or match fitness, regardless of projections.

My original post stated that it was a concern, so until he's back playing at any level then my concern will remain. As I said, I don't see Torres or Konsa staying free from injury so then the drop off at CB with Carlos and Bogarde would be significant imo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Best way I can describe this window is, weird.

It's been weird from day one and the ending has been weird. 

We start out selling Luiz to Juventus and in return trying to sign McKennie (weird) and Iling Junior. Two players that don't make us any better. Weird. We then learn McKennie isn't part of the deal either because a) contractual issues, or b) he's too fat. Not sure. Either way, he gets subbed out of the deal and Barrenechea is parachuted in. Someone I'm sure you'll admit, you've never heard of before the start of the window. Weird deal.

We re-sign Barkley. Weird. Not because I don't think he's a decent squad option, more because he doesn't have a great relationship with the fans and his last spell here was a disaster quite frankly. So that was weird.

We sell Kellyman to Chelsea for £20m. Mega weird.

We spend 3 months being told Felix is close to joining or we're after him with Emery speaking to him every day. Then he signs for Chelsea. Kinda weird.

We sell Irroegbunam for 10m! Great! Oh wait, who's this Dobbin bloke coming the other way for 10m. That's weird. 

Iling Junior and Barrenechea are loaned out. Erm, ok, we've sold arguably our best midfielder and replaced him with two players who aren't needed? (I understand the long term PSR benefits). That's a bit weird. Why didn't we just sell for more money/to somebody else/involve players we do need...? Weird.

The Geertruida stuff. More frustrating than anything. 

Weird. Weird. Weird.

But I'm fine with it. 

You are wrong on Barkley. It had been clearly stated by Monchi that Emery directly wanted him for his physicality. How he performed here before has no relevenace he is in a completely different team and situation now. So not weird.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

The rules are the fundamental problem. It’s absolutely ridiculous to blame this on Purslow/Gerrard. It’s a simplistic easy answer. We’ve been terrible at selling players for years. What helped us massively was the Grealish deal. What was the biggest sale after that? Diaby this summer and Luiz at £42m. What was the biggest sale we had before Grealish, Diaby and Luiz? Benteke to Liverpool. We are slowly correcting the mistakes of previous management and owners. 

For context, and excluding players who actually played a good portion of the season, Chelsea spent £188M in 23/24 on players who played fewer than 16 Premier League games last year. Of those, £165M of talent played fewer than 12 games, and £78M of talent played fewer than 2 games. There is definitely a problem with the rules. 

2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

You are wrong on Barkley. It had been clearly stated by Monchi that Emery directly wanted him for his physicality. How he performed here before has no relevenace he is in a completely different team and situation now. So not weird.

Erm. Ok. This is awkward. See, the thing is, I’m never wrong? 

• Haha 4

I hate when history gets rewritten to suit an agenda.

In 2021-22 we were nowhere near the club we are now and were fishing in a different market.

1. Coutinho came in and made a difference on loan. He took a wage cut and we bought him permanently.  At the time it was largely welcomed. He even showed sparks when Emery first came in but his body caved in.

2. In August 2021 it looked certain Luiz was going to Arsenal as his contract was running down. Dendonker was a solid replacement with premier league and international experience.  Luiz stayed at the end and Denson ended up as more of a squad player. We changed manager and he became even less suited to our style. We have now outgrown him.

3. Digne has been a good player for us for the past two and a half years, even seeing off Unai Emery's first signing as villa manager. 

4. Kamara on a free was a great signing. Helped us get to top 4.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â