Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Lenglet signed on deadline day on loan last year and I'd at the very least expect a similar signing today. I just can't envisage us not signing another defender and going until January with 3 fit centre backs and one who has been out injured for a year and isn't even fit enough to train with the first team squad yet. We have a minimum 24 games between now and 1st January, plus internationals for a lot of our players. 

We have done unbelievably well over the last 18 months to get where we are and I can't believe we would be so negligent to end the window one centre back injury away from a crisis.  

• Like 3

Just now, markavfc40 said:

Lenglet signed on deadline day on loan last year and I'd at the very least expect a similar signing today. I just can't envisage us not signing another defender and going until January with 3 fit centre backs and one who has been out injured for a year and isn't even fit enough to train with the first team squad yet. We have a minimum 24 games between now and 1st January, plus internationals for a lot of our players. 

We have done unbelievably well over the last 18 months to get where we are and I can't believe we would be so negligent to end the window one centre back injury away from a crisis.  

Lenglet was to covered by Mings. Mings salary was covered by our insurance. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Lenglet was to covered by Mings. Mings salary was covered by our insurance. 

I am aware of why Lenglet was signed. Mings is still out and I'd imagine if things go reasonably well he is still a couple of months away from being fit enough to start a game. We need cover at CB until January at least. 

Edited by markavfc40

This is how **** up and skewed against us football really is that Chelsea can sell a player at a profit basically  to themselves - Washington to Strasbourg for €21mill (both wholly owned by BluesCo) and we have to live within restrictive accounting rules … We are banned for player trading with Vitoria until after the window yet only own 29% … they don’t want us to compete or be part of the party … 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

He's posted a photo wearing a D&G jacket that's absolutely covered in motifs made from pearls.

Read into that what you will 🧐

Think my "Pearly Kings and Queens" reference was maybe a bit too subtle/niche.

• Haha 1

If we weren’t linked and heavily teased with a couple of players in the last month it wouldn’t even be so bad! But this has felt sickening ill be honest😞… feels like i been sucker punched multiple times, João Felix was one thing but Geertruida!😤… I genuinely thought that would be finalised but goodness me that Leipzig agreement post was the final straw, that broke me.

I’ll  say it again it basically feels like only two signings have been made Maatsen and Onana, and then these Carlos links are p**sing me off how many more clubs is he going to be linked to, just stop it now because it just looks silly smh, not blaming the club for this but whoever is posting all those links on tweets it’s ridiculous . 

Sold Luiz for 40, Diaby for 55, Archer for 15 and Kellyman for 19… bought Onana for 50 and Maatsen for 37 so why the f**k can’t we spend more… i remained patient and was reasonable but we’ve been toyed with here, theres gonna be some convincing themselves they’re happy with the squad, well we’re now weaker and furthermore Enzo and Illing Jr are loaned out so much for the deeper squad talk, should have kept Enzo at least. 

Edited by RicRic

13 minutes ago, RicRic said:

If we weren’t linked and heavily teased with a couple of players in the last month it wouldn’t even be so bad! But this has felt sickening ill be honest😞… feels like i been sucker punched multiple times, João Felix was one thing but Geertruida!😤… I genuinely thought that would be finalised but goodness me that Leipzig agreement post was the final straw, that broke me.

I’ll  say it again it basically feels like only two signings have been made Maatsen and Onana, and then these Carlos links are p**sing me off how many more clubs is he going to be linked to, just stop it now because it just looks silly smh, not blaming the club for this but whoever is posting all those links on tweets it’s ridiculous . 

Sold Luiz for 40, Diaby for 55, Archer for 15 and Kellyman for 19… bought Onana for 50 and Maatsen for 37 so why the f**k can’t we spend more… i remained patient and was reasonable but we’ve been toyed with here, theres gonna be some convincing themselves they’re happy with the squad, well we’re now weaker and furthermore Enzo and Illing Jr are loaned out so much for the deeper squad talk, should have kept Enzo at least. 

Mate, you need to take a breath and relax. It’s not worth getting so upset about. I fully trust the management, they’re doing the best they can for the club. If we get injuries then I back Unai to rejig the team…we’ll be fine

We’ve got Ramsey, Mings, Buendia vs last year and Kamara coming back shortly. Add to that Maatsen, Onana, Barkley, Ned and Jaden P.

We've lost Luiz, Diaby, Zaniolo and Lenglet 

We’re up by five

Edited by rodders129
  • Like 1

Monchi will no doubt be busy on the phones but one situation to look at is in Saudi with Al Ahli... my mate is out there and the local view that he's seen is that they think they have Osimhen on the way. There's wider reports that they're still progressing with Toney. He may be a back-up option if Osimhen changes his mind again or they could genuinely be looking to go big this summer.

Issue there is that they'd need to sell a foreign player. Only mention it as they still have Gebri Veiga on the books and he was previously looking to leave Saudi... #clutchingatstrawsnow

*they also have Demiral who would be a beast for us or Firmino I think (unless he's with Slippy G)

8 minutes ago, RicRic said:

If the window closes now, I am happy with the squad.

They way we played against Arsenal, despite the result we would beat 85% of the league in that game, and we aren't even at full strength yet.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brighton spent £200m on transfers this summer. Wow

They are the team that deserve their big spend. They’ve raised tons of money in player sales and compo for all their staff going to Chelsea.

12 minutes ago, RicRic said:

I hear you mate but we were posting losses in the previous years so even if we did have some profit from this year, it needed to offset.

I'm not loving where the squad is because I foolishly dreamed of more but I'm happy we've not fallen foul of PSR or whatever **** they create to hold our progress back. After years of spending we seemingly needed a sensible year. Annoyingly it's happened when we got CL football and dared to dream. But **** me, we could have the Lambert or McLeish teams this year and I'd still be happy that we'll see CL football again.

• Thanks 1

In a way as frustrating as this is it actually makes it more satisfying. If you can just sign anyone it makes it quite boring. We have to box clever within the restrictions, bank the UCL revenue this year, clear the deadwood next year and then the brakes are off 2026 and beyond.

We’re in the UCL this season!! Let’s just enjoy it and back the squad to do as best they can. We can all see we’d ideally like two or three more quality additions but we’ll get there. Rome wasn’t built in a day. The other positive is you regain loyal players who got us here in the first place. Players like Digne, Cash, Carlos, Mings, Buendia….you lose your soul if you just bounce out the characters and go full Chelsea

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Brighton spent £200m on transfers this summer. Wow

They have brought in loads of money through player sales over the last 3 seasons. They are also not competing in Europe so don't need to worry about SCR.

Our problem right now isn't PSR as we sorted that before the 30th of June. SCR is the issue now. We need to move on a big earner (or the equivalent of a big wage) in order to bring in a big signing.

Champions league clubs don't simply attract bigger name player because they can play in Europe. Champions leagues clubs have higher turnovers (because of the money from Champions league) so can offer higher wages. We need to get 5th at a minimum at qualify again for Champions League, that way we can really spend next summer.  Part of the frugality this season is that we don't want to spend Champions league team money now only to fail to get champions league football next season, as then we end doing the PSR juggling next summer. Plus SCR is being lowered next summer to get us in line with Europe. 

• Like 1

Think we’re going to have a serious issue with burn-out again this season. Once again we’re in a position where we’re going to have to over-rely on the first eleven.

Only positions where we’ve got like-for-like quality is at that inside left fwd position with Rogers and Ramsey. Arguably you could say Digne provides a solid alternative to Maatsen, but other than that, there’s a massive drop off. The likes of Duran and Philogene are fine to come on in games and start the odd cup tie, but no way are they good enough / mature enough yet, to start on a regular basis.

Geertruida and Felix would have gone a long way to fix that, but now, especially with even more high pressure games, I think we’re going to struggle big time in the second half of the season.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â