Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

10 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I know you like to be negative but it's not likely we don't have Champions League next season.

It's quite likely England will get the 5th place extra spot. It's also likely we'll maintain Emery's career ppg average at every club hes been at, which would see us finish at least 5th.

It's possible we don't, but likely? Get out of it. 

Well we've less than a 20% chance of geting 4th according to the bookies atm. It's just hard for any team outside those 3 top sides qualifying back to back years. I'm just being realistic. For me success is getting into Europe again next season.

7 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Still hugely looking forward to the window being closed and only having to worry about the footballing side of things, we've started the season well and the signings that have actually been made look like smart ones. I just can't shake the feeling that we're asking for problems defensively though, and for me that was one area of the squad that needed addressing the most from last season before you factored in outgoings. We're so short on numbers there that it's a precarious situation as is, as well as it just being an area of the starting eleven that could be improved upon  given the amount of goals conceded last season.

All going well there's going to be over 50 games to be played this season and I'm not sure we're best-placed to manage that at both centre back and right back. Mings' return is still largely unknown but certainly no time soon, Cash is out and tends to miss a few games a season, Nedeljkovic looks a real prospect but isn't at a point in his career where he should be relied upon, Carlos is main back-up at CB despite club club seeming to actively want him replaced, Bogarde hasn't ever played a competitive senior game at centre back but is now high up the pecking order there etc. Hope my concern proves to be wrong but I would be an awful lot more comfortable were there another body in there, preferably a player that could cover a couple of positions as one injury at CB/RB and you're suddenly looking dangerously light in an extremely competitive league as is with CL football also to come.

We are a  man down in the centre at the moment as Lenglet loan ended and Mings is still not back,, and I don't think the management are that keen on Carlos either.

Edited by The Fun Factory

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Well we've less than a 20% chance of geting 4th according to the bookies atm. It's just hard for any team outside those 3 top sides qualifying back to back years. I'm just being realistic. For me success is getting into Europe again next season.

I agree qualifying for europa league would still be a successful season, especially alongside getting out the league stage of CL. Conference league would be a bit of a disappointment for me.

But I don't think it's likely we fail to qualify for the Champs League. Factoring in the likelihood of 5th place being good enough,  I'd give us a greater than 50% chance at the moment.

If injuries are kinder to us than last season I'd go higher.  

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we’re not signing any defenders, even on loan, it doesn’t make sense to lose Dendoncker from the squad as he can cover both CB and CDM.

He really can’t. He’s too slow for either position and not good enough on the ball, he’d struggle so badly in Emerys teams

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If we’re not signing any defenders, even on loan, it doesn’t make sense to lose Dendoncker from the squad as he can cover both CB and CDM. Unless Bogarde is thought of that highly, which I hope is the case.

Dendonker is going out of a financial compliance necessity 

• Like 1

Just now, Indigo said:

It'd be crazy to sell Duran now and have no actual back-up to Watkins.

Maybe Monchi will be opportunistic in trying to pick up some of their bomb squad on the cheap. Massive risk though.... 

Just now, MrBlack said:

I agree qualifying for europa league would still be a successful season, especially alongside getting out the league stage of CL. Conference league would be a bit of a disappointment for me.

But I don't think it's likely we fail to qualify for the Champs League. Factoring in the likelihood of 5th place being good enough,  I'd give us a greater than 50% chance at the moment.

If injuries are kinder to us than last season I'd go higher.  

I think PL gets the extra CL place, and so 6th and  7th will be Europa League. I think we can finish in top 7 and if we can make the playoffs in CL we play up to March and 10 games total. To me that's a brilliant season, getting Europe next season is key

• Like 1

Just now, El-Reacho said:

Maybe Monchi will be opportunistic in trying to pick up some of their bomb squad on the cheap. Massive risk though.... 

They have players in that list like a Chalobah or Disasi who could fit into what Villa could do with defensively, the problem is if you're swapping Duran we're left with only Watkins as a striker and I don't think any of them at Chelsea - I'm guessing Broja or Fofana - would be worth taking in return. Unless the club really need a sale that badly I can't see the benefit in letting a player like Duran go this late in the window.

5 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

If Chelsea genuinely are trying to to a deal for Duran, and we say no, Duran is going to go back to acting like a petulant prick.

Is there some new news on this they I've missed? I thought that shipped had long since sailed.

Surely they've already got too many players before signing anyone else and would need us to buy one of their players as well for the PSR limits they're presumably close to?

Just now, Indigo said:

They have players in that list like a Chalobah or Disasi who could fit into what Villa could do with defensively, the problem is if you're swapping Duran we're left with only Watkins as a striker and I don't think any of them at Chelsea - I'm guessing Broja or Fofana - would be worth taking in return. Unless the club really need a sale that badly I can't see the benefit in letting a player like Duran go this late in the window.

Yeah - unless we're going to try and pick those players you've mentioned from Chelsea to bolster the back line and then pick up a striker on loan from elsewhere. Seems a bit late in the day for that sort of upheaval.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Is there some new news on this they I've missed? I thought that shipped had long since sailed.

Surely they've already got too many players before signing anyone else and would need us to buy one of their players as well for the PSR limits they're presumably close to?

This is just a hypothetical off the back of something reporter Miguel Delaney apparently said.

Just something a bit more interesting to talk about outside of how the window has or hasn’t been shite.

• Thanks 1

On the outgoing side a few I'm keeping an eye on.

Keepers: Oliwier Zych - if he's not staying as 3rd choice (Gauci can and be registered for CL if Barrenechea goes on loan) then needs another loan as a very promising young keeper. Maybe a loan move for Lander Emery as well.

Defenders: Bogarde is likely to stay as cover, but Sil Swinkels and Kerr Smith are young defenders that are past getting much from U21 football. Need a loan if they're not in the first team picture.

Midfielders: Barrenechea Dendoncker or both on loan. Kane Taylor recently signed, will he go straight out on loan or will he play a few months for the U21s first? Perhaps letting Barrenechea go on loan is because we rate Taylor enough to keep him as first team emergency cover.

Attack: Rico Richards won't get any more from U21s football. Needs a loan or a permanent move. Kadan Young is most likely to stay with the U21s for now but there were some interesting rumours early in the window about a loan move to Germany. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â