Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Or, they do better selling their own players which is something we’ve been absolutely terrible at for ages. Thankfully, we’re improving there.

It’s a tough balancing act - but those typically-well-run clubs (I’m looking at Brighton…) would’ve been able to spend an absolute fortune in our position… yet they aren’t there in part because they’ve sold their better players (largely). 

I agree about the selling aspect, Monchi and Unai are correcting that. But Newcastle aren’t any better, they pretty much avoided PSR issues because of the Saudi influence in selling ASM, their only other big sale was Wood to Forest before this window - they spent huge without major sales. They were very lucky that Cashley left them in a good PSR position. Like us, they've had to fiddle the deals around PSR also. They aren't clear either and there's no guarantee they won't have to sell more big names. 

11 minutes ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Overall, assuming no surprises now I'm fairly pleased with the window:

Onana - I feel he's a better profile for our team than Luiz

Maatsen - improvement on Moreno and should lock down the LB spot in due course.

Philogene - feel like people are sleeping on Jaden a bit, wonderful footballer with great defensive work ethic.

Nedeljkovic - has looked pretty damn impressive for an 18 year old so far. There's and element of risk of course but I can see why he is being given minutes.

Our financial position for psr/scr is perilous so to come out of the window with 2 solid options for each position and complying with those regs is superb work. Sure it's always nice to think we could do more, but I also respect that the club doesn't get taken for a ride selling players on the cheap and bringing in panic buys. I like that we are giving Mings and Buendia the opportunity to come back from injury and be a part of the squad. I like that Emery trusts the players he has and has shown a desire to give players opportunities based on their performances and not reputations.

*cries in Ross Barkley*

Next summer we will be able to move on Carlos, Buendia, Dendonker, Digne, Coutinho as they'll all be down to 1 year left on contracts and the fee's we can sell them at (and profits/losses) will be negligable.

Remember Squad Cost Rule is 80% this year, next year it's 70% so we'll need to cut down even more than we are at right now. We'll likely not have CL income either so it's a big big drop in how much we can afford. 

Iling Junior and Barrenechea might well be replacements for Digne and Kamara. Cash might be sold and replaced by a RB/RCB type (like we tried to get in this window). 

The crux of it is we'll be cutting again next summer more than adding. 

• Thanks 1

Our strongest team is weaker but the depth is a bit better. No real back up to Pau is a concern.

Don't really understand how we are tied by PSR currently, we've not spent a penny this summer. What a broken system.

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Next summer we will be able to move on Carlos, Buendia, Dendonker, Digne, Coutinho as they'll all be down to 1 year left on contracts and the fee's we can sell them at (and profits/losses) will be negligable.

Remember Squad Cost Rule is 80% this year, next year it's 70% so we'll need to cut down even more than we are at right now. We'll likely not have CL income either so it's a big big drop in how much we can afford. 

Iling Junior and Barrenechea might well be replacements for Digne and Kamara. Cash might be sold and replaced by a RB/RCB type (like we tried to get in this window). 

So it's going to get harder and harder to progress then.

It's all a bit pointless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I know you like to be negative but it's not likely we don't have Champions League next season.

It's quite likely England will get the 5th place extra spot. It's also likely we'll maintain Emery's career ppg average at every club hes been at, which would see us finish at least 5th.

It's possible we don't, but likely? Get out of it. 

1 minute ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So it's going to get harder and harder to progress then.

It's all a bit pointless.

That's the purpose of the financial rules, to maintain the status quo 

1 minute ago, AndyM3000 said:

Our strongest team is weaker but the depth is a bit better. No real back up to Pau is a concern.

Don't really understand how we are tied by PSR currently, we've not spent a penny this summer. What a broken system.

The problem is it’s not just transfer fees that count towards PSR. I heard someone say that we’re spending something like 90% of our revenue on wages, which is crazy. However, when you have the likes of Dendoncker, Hause and Diego Carlos hoovering up probably £200k a week of that, it’s no surprise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

Chelsea wanting Toney but is now 90% off to Saudi, means they may come in for Duran with some sort of swap for us?

They would need to give us £70m for Duran to make it worth our while.

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Chelsea wanting Toney but is now 90% off to Saudi, means they may come in for Duran with some sort of swap for us?

We cannot sell Duran on deadline day. We have no other strikers at the club and they have nobody to offer us either.

23 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

This team doesn’t have Luiz, Diaby and down a top CB from last season.  

The same Luiz who went missing from Feb and Diaby who was very inconsistent. Need to let it go 

Still hugely looking forward to the window being closed and only having to worry about the footballing side of things, we've started the season well and the signings that have actually been made look like smart ones. I just can't shake the feeling that we're asking for problems defensively though, and for me that was one area of the squad that needed addressing the most from last season before you factored in outgoings. We're so short on numbers there that it's a precarious situation as is, as well as it just being an area of the starting eleven that could be improved upon  given the amount of goals conceded last season.

All going well there's going to be over 50 games to be played this season and I'm not sure we're best-placed to manage that at both centre back and right back. Mings' return is still largely unknown but certainly no time soon, Cash is out and tends to miss a few games a season, Nedeljkovic looks a real prospect but isn't at a point in his career where he should be relied upon, Carlos is main back-up at CB despite club club seeming to actively want him replaced, Bogarde hasn't ever played a competitive senior game at centre back but is now high up the pecking order there etc. Hope my concern proves to be wrong but I would be an awful lot more comfortable were there another body in there, preferably a player that could cover a couple of positions as one injury at CB/RB and you're suddenly looking dangerously light in an extremely competitive league as is with CL football also to come.

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I know you like to be negative but it's not likely we don't have Champions League next season.

It's quite likely England will get the 5th place extra spot. It's also likely we'll maintain Emery's career ppg average at every club hes been at, which would see us finish at least 5th.

It's possible we don't, but likely? Get out of it. 

Something will have to give - whether we threaten legal action, but rules are changing too, not ideally but they are. 

We've signed the likes of Rogers and Ned for under £20m - so there's absolutely no reason why we can't keep finding such talent. 

The challenge is to get older high earners off of the books and next summer presents a chance to do so. 

If we’re not signing any defenders, even on loan, it doesn’t make sense to lose Dendoncker from the squad as he can cover both CB and CDM. Unless Bogarde is thought of that highly, which I hope is the case.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â