Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

1 minute ago, MachoFantastico said:

I know they offered great money, but I'd have rather we had kept Diaby. Unless we needed to sell him to stay within PSR. 

We needed to sell him to stay within PSR. 

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Some people acting like it's the end of the world if we don't sign anybody.  This team was good enough to get 4th last season, why wouldn't it be again?

It's not end of the world. It's just a deflating / disappointing window especially the end of it. This is because all the other teams have improved their squad a considerable amount. Chelsea and United in particular. While we've moved Luiz, Moreno, Diaby and Dendonker out and replaced with Onana, Maatsen, Philogene and Barkley. Hard to say that's much improvement in reality. 

Our edge is Emery and what was very astute signings in January. We also have to hope for better luck with injuries. 

Edited by CVByrne

Just now, CVByrne said:

Because all the other teams have improved their squad a considerable amount. Chelsea and United in particular. While we've moved Luiz, Moreno, Diaby and Dendonker out and replaced with Onana, Maatsen, Philogene and Barkley. Hard to say that's much improvement in reality. 

Our edge is Emery and what was very astute signings in January. We also have to hope for better luck with injuries. 

That remains to be seen.

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That remains to be seen.

indeedm but on the face of it, United and Chelsea have done a lot of good work to improve their squads. West Ham and Brighton too

9 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

They aren't his replacement and not at his level. One is coming back from a serious injury,  one gets injured a lot and the other is unproven 

I wasn't asking you. They are his replacement.

To be fair Ramsey, Kamara, Buendia, and Mings, are basically four new players that we didn't have last season, Rogers has adapted much quicker than anyone expected, even Emery, as he said he wasn't expecting him to play much when he was signed, but such has been his form that he's been more like an high profile expensive signing than the relatively low key signing that he was, maybe Kosta can have a similar impact, the signs are good, also the fact that Emery was prepared to let Iling-Junior go out on loan, tells me that he rate Philogene highly, he's another that can have big impact if we're patient, to get he, Iling, and Rogers, for under £30m is simply astonishing

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

indeedm but on the face of it, United and Chelsea have done a lot of good work to improve their squads. West Ham and Brighton too

And yet we beat West Ham still. Brighton had a great window but it takes a lot to break into the top 8 or even 6. How have United had a great window? They overpaid for everyone. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Chelsea have also hit the reset button by sacking Poch and hiring an unproven manager, all while trying to bed in loads of new signings.  United look like the same United from last season.   

We really don't need to replace Diaby, I sometimes feel like football is just as much about transfers as it is about watching games to some. We don't need to overhaul our squad, the best teams don't do this, they make gradual improvements year on year. See Liverpool, and Man City in particular.

Saying that I do agree we are short in defence and it'll be surprising if noone comes in but in Unai we trust. 

• Like 2

Just now, useless said:

To be fair Ramsey, Kamara, Buendia, and Mings, are basically four new players that we didn't have last season, Rogers has adapted much quicker than anyone expected, even Emery, as he said he wasn't expecting him to play much when he was signed, but such has been his form that he's been more like an high profile expensive signing than the relatively low key signing that he was, maybe Kosta can have a similar impact, the signs are good, also the fact that Emery was prepared to let Iling-Junior go out on loan, tells me that he rate Philogene highly, he's another that can have big impact if we're patient, to get he, Iling, and Rogers, for under £30m is simply astonishing

Kamara played most of last season, Ramsey played a surprising amount of games too. Buendia and Mings for Zaniolo and Lenglet should be improvements depending on how they come back from their injuries. 

A lot does hinge on injuries. We don't have the depth of quality of the big 6 (maybe we do with Spurs) so it'll be down to luck how much we need to rely on it. 

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Some people acting like it's the end of the world if we don't sign anybody.  This team was good enough to get 4th last season, why wouldn't it be again?

Couple of reasons I think:

-Other teams have strengthen more than us thus closing the gap.

- We have a champions league campaign with more difficult and intense fixtures to content with this year.

- We will be reliant on at least 3 squad players that are returning from long-term ACL injuries this year, two of which are still a month or two away.

- Our starting RB is out for a month and is injury prone, and his stand in is an 18y/o.

We will be absolutely fine if we are lucky with injuries. 3-4 bad injuries and we will struggle. I’d like to see a loan today to at least address my last point. 

• Like 1

I was hoping for that one marquee signing, so it's difficult not to feel some disappointment about the transfer window. However, I'm sure we could have signed 2-3 more players if we had really wanted to. I find it extremely encouraging to see that our directors and manager are thinking long-term. We have successfully lowered the average age of our squad, we have rotations for most positions, and so on. Overall, we will be fine and even better for it in the long term.

We don't know has and hasn't had a great window until we see how the season goes, it's impossible to judge until then. I've seen many times where fans have celebrated a great window, and then we have rubbish season, the summer before we got relegated being a famous example, and then we've had windows that have been deemed to be poor, January 2019 comes to mind, but have then gone on to do well

• Like 2

Just now, CVByrne said:

Kamara played most of last season, Ramsey played a surprising amount of games too. Buendia and Mings for Zaniolo and Lenglet should be improvements depending on how they come back from their injuries. 

A lot does hinge on injuries. We don't have the depth of quality of the big 6 (maybe we do with Spurs) so it'll be down to luck how much we need to rely on it. 

But we still managed to finish fourth and have had CL form since Unai arrived for the most part. There is no “Big 6” either - that’s a media invention. 

14 minutes ago, MachoFantastico said:

I know they offered great money, but I'd have rather we had kept Diaby. Unless we needed to sell him to stay within PSR. 

Was UEFA rules why we had to sell him

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â