Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Pretty sure we're done, in my opinion we ain't bringing in a rightback on loan, that would mean we have 3 rightbacks, nobody is buying Cash & specially not whilst he is injured, Ned will deputise whilst cash is out & I think the games coming up are perfect for him to get good minutes in the tank learning under Emery. We all know how much potential Ned has, he isn't going to fulfil that unless we play him in the 1st team, perfect opportunity to throw him in with a good set of fixtures coming up. Alot of people worry how old he is, if your good enough age doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

Hang on a mo🧐 we turned down bids for Carlos and Duran, and we were trying to sign Geertruida, so we must have some money, and the fact we were trying to sign Geertruida shows that that's a position that we feel needs strengthening, and he won't have been the only option, I think there's a chance we will do some business today, it could in fact be a very busy day, with incomings and outgoings, maybe some loans for younger players

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

91v93m.jpg

that's what this transfer window feels like to me

its PSR / FFP working in all its glory, its not villa, its football

Well the big one is Jack rolling off, that £100m of profit was a huge benefit for us in the last 3 years. Equivalent of £33m in income for Squad Cost Rule which is like the funding for 3 first team players. 

Just now, useless said:

Hang on a mo🧐 we turned down bids for Carlos and Duran, and we were trying to sign Geertruida, so we must have some money, and the fact we were trying to sign Geertruida shows that that's a position that we feel needs strengthening, and he won't have been the only option, I think there's a chance we will do some business today, it could in fact be a very busy day, with incomings and outgoings, maybe some loans for younger players

We've no idea what the Carlos bid was, it could have been so low it would result in a financial loss that didn't give any headroom at all. I can only assume we expected West Ham to return and match Chelsea's bid for Duran which is why we rejected it. 

The inability to add Geertruida means we are done on the incomings this window. We don't have headroom to add any cost

PSR can get in the **** bin. What a great model it is when you can qualify for the top European cup competition, be completely debt free and yet we're having to sell to buy. How on earth does that encourage ambition?

Generally speaking, I think the squad is ok. Not really improved the starting XI much (though we'll see how Onana and Maatsen affect things as the season goes on), but I really do worry about our defensive options.

• Like 1

A deflating few days. It’s sad to think Emery and Monchi won’t really be able to do all the business they want to do until Gerrard’s big hitter contracts expire in 2026, as this window has shown they are almost impossible to shift, even on loan in some cases. Feels like we won’t hit our full potential until then and we may need to keep selling to meet PSR/SCR. At least Emery is a master pragmatist. Gerrard, Lange, Purslow have a lot to answer for.

• Thanks 1

I think that’s it’s been a weird window for many clubs and it’s hard for clubs to shift names generally. We can’t ignore that also. Unless you're prepared to overspend or be sage like Brighton I don't you can say clubs around us had a great window either 

I think has to be one of the most frustrating summer windows in a long long time. I thought 3-4 weeks ago we would’ve pitched up a 10 and a replacement right back. Instead, nothing. Feliz hs gone to Chelsea (idiot) and Gert has gone to Leipzig (they seem to be putting together a good team). 

I think all we can hope for today is getting rid of Donk and maybe Carlos. I think if Carlos goes we will get Chalobah on loan. 

All very meh! 

1 minute ago, daggy_333 said:

Aren't they interested in Toney?

They’re interested in anyone that puts on a pair of boots.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

Aren't they interested in Toney?

I can definitely see that, he wants to leave, they need a striker, they have the money and will spend it

27 minutes ago, JoshVilla said:

PSR can get in the **** bin. What a great model it is when you can qualify for the top European cup competition, be completely debt free and yet we're having to sell to buy. How on earth does that encourage ambition?

Generally speaking, I think the squad is ok. Not really improved the starting XI much (though we'll see how Onana and Maatsen affect things as the season goes on), but I really do worry about our defensive options.

That's it in a nutshell for me

Not the perfect window but still a very good one and progress. Ned gives us something we didn't have, that is progress there. Carlos will need to be professional and get on with the job. Mings still has a huge part to play. Then Kamara back in a month or so. Defensively we are strong enough. For now. Jan window to come. 

6 minutes ago, Herman22 said:

I think has to be one of the most frustrating summer windows in a long long time. I thought 3-4 weeks ago we would’ve pitched up a 10 and a replacement right back. Instead, nothing. Feliz hs gone to Chelsea (idiot) and Gert has gone to Leipzig (they seem to be putting together a good team). 

I think all we can hope for today is getting rid of Donk and maybe Carlos. I think if Carlos goes we will get Chalobah on loan. 

All very meh! 

Yeah the sale of Diaby, constant links to Felix. The saga over Geertruida. Felt like we were going to do something, it was a question of when not if. 

It now looks like it was Duran + Diaby out free's up room for Felix to come in. Carlos going out made room for Geertruida coming in. So the failure to sell Duran and Carlos was the root of the issue and means we have to go with what we've got.

Barkley deal for the price we paid look better by the day. 

• Like 1

Why I’m overall happy with the transfer window (within the ridiculous restrictions):

Maatsen is an international with pace, bringing us an attacking outlet we need. He’s only 22 and on a lengthy deal. Onana is a very different midfield option who will make tackles, cover ground and pick that pass. As the opening day showed also, he’s a threat from set pieces. Also, 22 on a long-term contract. At £50m with clubs like United spending that on prospects like Yoro, we’ve got a great value deal, and I think he will be one of the season's best signings. 

Barkley is there to give us experience from the bench, make interceptions, cover ground, create turnovers, and pick that pass. Can chip in with goals. £5m is nothing in today’s market for that. 

Jaden is back, and we paid very little for him. Once he is settled under Unai's tutelage, I think he’s one to watch. 

Dobbin’s out on loan, proving that we will be clever when dealing with the nonsense of PSR. 

We’ve struggled to sell for profit; that’s slowly changing and will be a constant in the years ahead, especially as we find young players to shift for profit. Again, it shouldn’t be that way. But we are doing what we can within the rules. Conversely, the window has given me confidence that we won’t be bullied into selling cheap for the sake of it. West Ham messing Durán and us about might be a blessing. I think Unai giving him the number 9 might be another masterstroke. There are many variables at work, but if it clicks, we will keep a good player who will continue improving. 

We are lending squad players like Samuel and Enzo value experience. Hopefully, they will be back next season much more rounded than when they arrived.

Next summer will be a vast window; we will be moving on to older names and bringing in more younger talent. Whatever the next 12 months bring, we will be competitive and up there, we have many excellent players and a generational, elite-level manager who is here on a long-term deal. That, for me, shows that our long-term future is in the safest hands. Having Dibu, the best goalkeeper in the world, on a long-term deal is just as important. For me, he’s the cornerstone of our squad. 

It’s a big year for Buendia, too - from a significant injury and if he can prove worthy of a new contract. He’s got tremendous incentives to show he’s good enough for our current stature. We’ve got the rise of Morgan Rogers - a big talent who keeps getting better. 

Unai has shifted his tactics and has shown great trust in young Ned, who looks very promising at just 18. Maybe we will pick up another right back. The hours will tell. 

We still have a big squad, and we need to shift names. But I think it’s been a window when many clubs have overspent—Spurs spent over £100m on names without improving their defensive issues (and a striker who isn’t as good as Watkins). We haven’t overspent and found deals despite the ridiculous rules. 

The reality is that we got where we are ahead of schedule, and we have names of players we signed under previous managers we gave too much to in terms of contract length and salary—but that probably also reflected our position at the time. It’s frustrating, absolutely, but Unai and Monchi continue to show that they won’t make those mistakes. 

We have very rich and committed owners who will continue to be our best custodians and challenge the nonsense rules designed to hold clubs like ours back.

I’m not saying the window was incredible, but we are finding value and making big moves without overpaying or being fleeced under the current ridiculous system. The window is one of improvement in small but meaningful ways - but also in trying to write down the wrongs of previous management. If not this window, next summer. 

I understand the frustrations some have. However, I will say, don’t think about it just this summer; think of where we will be next summer, too. 

We move forward with hope in our hearts and the Champions League anthem ringing in our ears. UTV.

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â