Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Maybe a RB/CB short, but with the deck stacked against us as it is, a decent window.

We should have beaten Arsenal last week, things are good.

No reason we can't look again in Jan and see what's wise to do.

Emery's two January signings of Moreno and Rogers have both been transformative.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villan501 said:

those 3 signings seem very much Gerrard and purslow esque.

I'm struggling to see how this is the case. We've signed Dobbins, Illing Jr. and Barrenechea out of the necessity to be in compliance with the financial restrictions placed on the club. They aren't viewed as difference-making players at this moment in time. They aren't on massive wages like Coutinho and Carlos. In fact, no money was spent on them at all. They aren't veteran players, either.

We had to sell Luiz, and the two Juventus players plus cash is the best we could do. Dobbins was essentially just a swap deal to satisfy FFP rules. None of the three would've been pursued by the club under optimal circumstances, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, skarroki said:

We signed Dobbin for more than he is worth to get Iroegbunam sold for more than he was worth. 

We bought Iling-Junior and Barrenechea for that price in order to sell Luiz and not get a points deduction. 

That £30mil (less than that I believe but I'll go with it) is amortised over 5 years so this season that has actually cost us £6mil, which is about £5mil less than what we sold Iroegbunam for at pure profit. 

The comparison to Gerrard is bizarre, we never signed players close to this manner under him. This is definitely joined up future thinking. All those players are on loan, getting wages paid and possibly loan fees too, will all be coming back worth more than what we could sell for this window and what we paid for them. 

If those three helped us create more room in the budget and now they're all moved onto good loan clubs and having wages covered it's brilliant, it's been the opposite of stopping us getting a right back, it's opened up spending possibilities if needed. 

I honestly think they're forward thinking enough to prioritise the right areas of the pitch to make sure we're not left flapping around with hours to go looking for players. This has likely all been part of the plan. Similar to Liverpool, we might be short in a position like they are at DM, but if they can't sign their target then they just move on rather than panic buy option 4 on the list. 

I understand your point and like Wezbid said similar. I'm merely pointing out RB has been problematic for a while and yes those guys a full season playing very well increase in value but I simply pointing out the now.and need for an upgrade to RB.

Villa have mings and kamar coming back with beindia recently back, if we sign no-one  else I'd be happy with strength but still concerned about RB, as it stands mings and kamar are not fit and emery likes konsa at RB therefore CB now needs reinforcing. Everything I have said is based on the Now, succeed on the pitch and any shortfall regarding ffp can be sorted in June I'm not disagreeing I'm merely pointing my concerns.

• Like 1

The problem has been that we had to be able to move players on to bring a new player in.

The club has been very open about this and the reality is that players like Dendonker, Carlos, Coutinho, Digne were signed on ridiculous wages and have been impossible to move.

Purslow, Gerrard and Lange have been responsible. Monchi has to fix the imbalance and may take another 2-3 transfer windows or until we significantly increase turnover.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wezbid said:

It'll get lost in here but this needs posting more. 

Lost? Well, it's less than 24 before transfer deadline. Good insights on the frustrating structural issues.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, villan501 said:

but those 3 signings seem very much Gerrard and purslow esque.

I don't know. I understand how those three could feel a little disappointing under the circumstances, but the Gerrard comparison doesn't work for me, to echo @maqroll. Two shite transfer situations may both be shite, but it doesn't means they're shite for the same reasons at all or that they make anyone at Villa particularly culpable in the same ways, plus --- we don't really know how some of these kids are going to turn out at all. I think of Coutinho and Danny Ings, and they were very much more towards the end of their careers rather than the beginning.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

3 hours ago, villan501 said:

This is my view if we sign no one else we continue to support this great club and awesome manager but those 3 signings seem very much Gerrard and purslow esque.

Please enlighten me on how signing young and upcoming players on low wages and loaning them out is the same as signing aged over-the-hill types on wages that mean we can't move them on when we need to (now).

Honestly, what is the logic here?

16 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Please enlighten me on how signing young and upcoming players on low wages and loaning them out is the same as signing aged over-the-hill types on wages that mean we can't move them on when we need to (now).

Honestly, what is the logic 

Juventus absolutely schooled us, we could of had chiesa for 12mil for a start he's hardly over the hill. We get berrenchea and illing jnr we're aston villa shouldn't be dictated to by juventus if they wanted luiz either pay up hard cash or we sort tye players we actually can do something with like huijsen or chiesa.

If they wanted luiz and we could go back in time knowing diaby was sold I'd take 35mil plus huijsen and chiesa and then we'd be alot lot stronger because both would be in squad unlike these 2 we have signed.

So let's say they have an absolute stinker on loan, Dobbin hardly setting world alight then that is 30mil down the drain. 

Everyone is entitled to there own opinion and mine is we've sent 30mil potentially down the drain for zero reward this season.

Edited by villan501

1 minute ago, villan501 said:

Juventus absolutely schooled us, we could of had chiesa for 12mil for a start he's hardly over the hill. We get berrenchea and illing jnr we're aston villa should be dictated to by juventus if they wanted luiz either pay up hard cash or we sort tye players we actually can do something with like huijsen or chiesa.

If they wanted luiz and we could go back in time knowing diaby was sold I'd take 35mil plus huijsen and chiesa and then we'd be alot lot stronger

Yeah cool so you didn't answer my question at all. You are just frustrated. Its ok.

7 minutes ago, Anything11 said:

Yeah cool so you didn't answer my question at all. You are just frustrated. Its ok.

I'll happily answer it, we lost a nailed on starter for 2 players that straight away offer nothing, yes FFP have screwed us but we got Onana in as luiz replacement.

Hiw long have we been Harping on about a upgrade RB have we got one....... not as yet I'm.saying that 30mil wasted gets one.

And yes I'm very frustrated we have Cash as RB, Ned will come good but he's very young.

Edited by villan501

5 hours ago, AshVilla said:

Better pray Konsa or Pau don't get injured.

Mings may not be fully up to speed till xmas and Carlos is shite.

Carlos isn’t shite, pisses me off when so called supporters constantly slate our players!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

Carlos isn’t shite, pisses me off when so called supporters constantly slate our players!

Alright Carlos, calm down 🙃

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We need big profit sales. Like Duran and Ramsey and Kamara for PSR

A sale is a sale. Diaby going removed his book debt for a number of years and added profit on top. The amortisation trick catches up with you if you are always piling on more debt to be dealt with in future years.

Posted (edited)

"We're in a better position than we were last year."

True and not true.

Didn't Heraclitus say that you could never step into the same river twice because the river changes always -- and the person changes, too?

You can't step into the same football season either. While Villa have reinforced in a wonderful ways over the transfer window, we're also facing a new and herculean task (the CL) along with the league play, and with far more pressure and public scrutiny.

And we've lost at least two hugely important players.

So while we're in a better position than a year ago at this time, we have "better" challenging forces, too. I'm excited and positive, but I think this year is just completely different than 23-24, and it's almost impossible to compare squad needs on an apples-to-apples basis.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, villan501 said:

I'll happily answer it, we lost a nailed on starter for 2 players that straight away offer nothing, yes FFP have screwed us but we got Onana in as luiz replacement.

Hiw long have we been Harping on about a upgrade RB have we got one....... not as yet I'm.saying that 30mil wasted gets one.

And yes I'm very frustrated we have Cash as RB, Ned will come good but he's very young.

Your anger and frustration should be directed at the system, and PSR in all it's glory, rather than the club.

Without our hands tied we would have had a very different transfer window 

• Like 1

If it was not for the quality we have coming back or have just come back I would agree it was a poor window but I’m sure this was factored into our dealings. The bench looks very strong and our first 11 look very strong with couple of clever loan signings today let’s go. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QldVilla said:

The problem has been that we had to be able to move players on to bring a new player in.

The club has been very open about this and the reality is that players like Dendonker, Carlos, Coutinho, Digne were signed on ridiculous wages and have been impossible to move.

Purslow, Gerrard and Lange have been responsible. Monchi has to fix the imbalance and may take another 2-3 transfer windows or until we significantly increase turnover.

This is a very sensible and accurate outlook, we were never going all out this transfer window. We won't until another big chunk of wages is moved off the books...

The club are acting responsibly, and I love that!! 

7 hours ago, Wezbid said:

The alternative is ignoring the rules, facing potential points deductions, fines, transfer bans domestically and in the Champions League.

It sucks balls but the club are doing all they can to shift expensive deadwood and do it right. 

I agree on all that, just saying how it sucks balls.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â