Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

I think about this every window. But would some people be as frustrated had we not done most of our business early on?

Is it the expectation that we had lots of time to finish sorting out the key positions in the squad, and the disappointment that it hasn’t happened?

I wonder how I would have felt right now had we signed Maatsen and Onana this week instead of weeks ago. Probably even more positive than I do right now.

I’m not going to go overboard because I’m used to it with Villa but it hasn’t been the window I was hoping for. Missing out on Geertruida and Felix has put a dampener on things and it seems we are going with what we have. There is a worry that we are up shit creek financially, given we can’t even spend a fairly low sum of £21m on a proven defender who would have likely considerably improved us.

Ive been resigned to this for weeks because we rarely do late deals, most of our signings are early and it’s been this way for the last 4 summer transfer windows (except under Gerrard where we panic bought on deadline day). So I kinda felt no one else was coming in and I don’t think anyone is coming tomorrow either.

It’s out of our control, the club are going with what we have and that’s their call. I just hope it doesn’t come back to bite us if the season isn’t what we hoped it would be.

Edited by Leeroy
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I'm having a rant about a legitimate failure from our recruitment and moving players on. So what ?

It's come out of nowhere, that's what.

Window has been open since June, where has this energy been? You could have put these nice comments every day for three months.

Obviously no one was taking shit Carlos off us for decent money. Obviously no one was taking limited Donk off us for decent money.

Have you just realised with one day left?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

It's come out of nowhere, that's what.

Window has been open since June, where has this energy been? You could have put these nice comments every day for three months.

Obviously no one was taking shit Carlos off us for decent money. Obviously no one was taking limited Donk off us for decent money.

Have you just realised with one day left?

Describing Dendoncker as "limited" is the most generous thing I've ever seen on here.

And by contrast describing Carlos as "shit" in the same breath is the biggest insult I've ever seen on here.

• Like 1

Just now, est1874 said:

Describing Dendoncker as "limited" is the most generous thing I've ever seen on here.

And by contrast describing Carlos as "shit" in the same breath is the biggest insult I've ever seen on here.

limited my ass. Ronaldinho or Zlatan couldnt score a goal like this 😛 

Manchester United v Aston Villa: Premier League – as it happened | Premier  League | The Guardian

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Have said for a while has been a poor window so far on a playing side but its not Monchi or Unai fault for me

The serial winner and his clown college buddies with Purslow are to blame for this and they get off scot free from criticism

In fairness I think it’s widely acknowledged Slippy and Purslow did terrible financial damage to the club together. It make take another season or even two to fully clear the legacy of their stupidity. 

59 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

All in all a pretty poor window. We tried and failed to do much other than complying with PSR. 

Diaby and Luiz departed replaced by Onana and Philogene.

Maatsen joined for an unnecessary upgrade in Left Back. Barkley joined for an improvement on Dendonker.

That's like literally all we've done. Talk of Felix talk of Geertruida of Hermoso. Couldn't afford to buy them dinner let alone sign them.

Squad looks good because of players returning from injury and astute signings of Rogers and Nedeljkovic in January. Hopefully we can avoid the injuries we had last season.

But let's face it. Every single team around us have improved their squads by a lot this summer and that will probably tell in the end. 

44 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Is it a bit of a weird window. We were lauded for strengthening the overall squad, partly due to the Dougie deal, but we then loaned out both players we got as part of the deal.

Maatsen is definitely an upgrade, and Onana is excellent. But we’ve lost Dougie so that will certainly impact us.

Then we’ve lost Diaby and appear to have replaced him with Philogene. Love the fact that we re-signed Philogene, but Diaby could have been excellent this season.

Then there’s the RB issue. It has been an area that has needed strengthening for a while, and it’s still a problem. Although Nedeljkovic looks like he is going to be top class.

Still time for 1 or 2 surprises, but it’s a tough window to judge.

Honestly I can't disagree too much with some of your points as losing Luiz and Diaby were huge losses for me. Whilst Onana and Maatsen clearly improve us in their respective positions, that nets flat (at best) to the Luiz and Diaby departures. 

It's only through the injury returns that our squad truly improves (Mings, Kamara, Buendia, JJ) as the other purchases won't be first choice imo (Barkley, JPB) or have gone on loan.

In spite of all that... I think our financial situation was perhaps worse than many realised. The various swaps and deals didn't take us to another level, we've navigated those financial difficulties without ending up far worse or getting a points deduction. So that careful juggling is an achievement and we can't lose sight of that.

For financial juggling and adherence  -  10/10

For exciting the fanbase and keeping us ahead of our top 4 rivals  -  3/10

Net  =  6.5/10

Edited by _AA_786
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

limited my ass. Ronaldinho or Zlatan couldnt score a goal like this 😛 

Manchester United v Aston Villa: Premier League – as it happened | Premier  League | The Guardian

Ironically should've won that game if Carlos didn't pass to Fernandes under no pressure

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

In fairness I think it’s widely acknowledged Slippy and Purslow did terrible financial damage to the club together. It make take another season or even two to fully clear the legacy of their stupidity. 

people are always defending Purslow when brought up in his thread. some consider him a hero :D  

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Awol said:

Thank god we got Champions League with that extra money and whatever otherwise this summer window we could’ve seen a real meltdown from all of us as we would’ve had to make sales and likely not made the signings we did or would’ve been poorer quality signings.  We still have a day in this window but not expecting anything really tomorrow of significance.

19 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Switch them around and it works 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Are there really 40+ year old men actually crying like spoiled brats on the internet, because Villa didn’t sign players they didn’t rate or heard of before we were linked to Villa

Yes we are because that’s part of football.  We pay stupid money to watch twenty two men at a time run around a pitch chasing an air filled round thing that consumes our time and after a very successful season we hope this brings us joys of additional players so we are disappointed when we get screwed over by the establishment. So yes to your question! I’m not sure the issue.

• Like 1

Could partly be tiredness from the first weeks of work after vacation, and will probably find a positive touch to our dealings, but right now I feel underwhelmed. Going into a Champions League season I would have expected us to add more quality. And I don't like the feeling that we bring in players that I get excited about, just to find out that we loan them out and that we probably bought them partly of accountancy or investment reasons.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yes we are because that’s part of football.  We pay stupid money to watch twenty two men at a time run around a pitch chasing an air filled round thing that consumes our time and after a very successful season we hope this brings us joys of additional players so we are disappointed when we get screwed over by the establishment. So yes to your question! I’m not sure the issue.

If it makes you cry so hard, maybe you should spend your “stupid money” on something that actually gives you joy 

37 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I spend 98% of all the season positive. Have a rant the other 2% and people want to focus on that. 

The one thing I don't do which too many people here do, insulting our players 24/7

I'm having a rant about a legitimate failure from our recruitment and moving players on. So what ?

Lol, selective amnesia of February to May?

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â