Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

So… that’s Iling-Jr and Moreno gone now too, albeit on loans. And this is after the talk of “one out, one in”.

To add to:

Archer, Iroegbunam, Dobbin and Kesler

We got Coutinho out on loan too.

Hopefully, we add Dendoncker to the list before the window closes. 

And there there are the previous or early sales: Sanson, Luiz, Diaby. Chambers released.

Is that all just squad trimming or have we actually made room for further additions?

If it’s just trimming… then surely if Carlos, Cash or Duran (please no) leave then we will definitely make more signings?

Hoping we have deals that will be ready to announce or reveal fairly soon but… I honestly have no idea 😂

But Unai (previously) and, particularly, Monchi have said we will be busy and active (at least monitoring the market) until the end… 

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

So… that’s Iling-Jr and Moreno gone now too, albeit on loans. And this is after the talk of “one out, one in”.

To add to:

Archer, Iroegbunam, Dobbin and Kesler

We got Coutinho out on loan too.

Hopefully, we add Dendoncker to the list before the window closes. 

And there there are the previous or early sales: Sanson, Luiz, Diaby. Chambers released.

Is that all just squad trimming or have we actually made room for further additions?

If it’s just trimming… then surely if Carlos, Cash or Duran (please no) leave then we will definitely make more signings?

Hoping we have deals that will be ready to announce or reveal fairly soon but… I honestly have no idea 😂

But Unai (previously) and, particularly, Monchi have said we will be busy and active (at least monitoring the market) until the end… 

Surely has to be a couple coming in or at least one.

Just now, nick76 said:

Surely has to be a couple coming in or at least one.

Just having a quick glance over the whole squad… I know we need a defensive addition or two… but, I do feel like we need an addition in attack like a CAM or 10. Don’t think we have quite enough there and not confident in relying on our younger players too heavily - plus, they need a hand and the occasional rest too. It’s a long, tough season.

I think we’re set, at least in terms of numbers, in midfield. Will be a huge boost to have Kamara back. Onana is a game changer.

I don’t feel the same way about other departments though… but am happy with both Ollie and Duran as our CFs.

I know we have versatile players but, I’d like to see them play in their best positions for the most part. 

It doesn’t standout as a very strong or really competitive CL class team tbh… that’s just my reaction rather than trying to be negative. I think Unai will get the best out of them though and we will keep springing surprises… our struggles in ECL last season still bother me though.

As is, I think we will struggle/suffer if we get any injuries to key players tbh… but probably thrive if we don’t. Thing is, we do have players returning from bad injuries so… can we be sure they’ll be up to a long, challenging and competitive season?

Hard to call at this stage, I think. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just having a quick glance over the whole squad… I know we need a defensive addition or two… but, I do feel like we need an addition in attack like a CAM or 10. Don’t think we have quite enough there and not confident in relying on our younger players too heavily - plus, they need a hand and the occasional rest too. It’s a long, tough season.

I think we’re set, at least in terms of numbers, in midfield. Will be a huge boost to have Kamara back. Onana is a game changer.

I don’t feel the same way about other departments though… but am happy with both Ollie and Duran as our CFs.

I know we have versatile players but, I’d like to see them play in their best positions for the most part. 

It doesn’t standout as a very strong or really competitive CL class team tbh… that’s just my reaction rather than trying to be negative. I think Unai will get the best out of them though and we will keep springing surprises… our struggles in ECL last season still bother me though.

As is, I think we will struggle/suffer if we get any injuries to key players tbh… but probably thrive if we don’t. Thing is, we do have players returning from bad injuries so… can we be sure they’ll be up to a long, challenging and competitive season?

Completely agree, we need a defensive player and a number 10 (a lock picker of sorts) imo.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

When we signed Maatsen I thought we were 2-3 signings away from a significant upgrade of the squad. Onana made it two, still believe we need that RB/CB and AM.

We have the cover, but playing Konsa at RB and Carlos at CB weakens us a little, while we need that AM and an upgrade on Buendia who’s going to need a lot of game time to get back to his best.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Colin79 said:

What’s DOB’s mate? Seen it a few times and can’t work it out. 

It can also mean dirty old barsteward, but in here dusty old baller works fine. Basically anyone that won't bring in any resale value and will retire after the contract with us. Anyone in that boat has no incentive to keep trying and performing. They're getting that pay cheque whatever they do and then calling it a day.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I think we are done and we have 2 significant gaps in the side.

We don't do noisy business and haven't done for a few seasons now, we can all have opinions on the squad at the moment. However your post contradicts itself because I guarantee if Unai thinks there are significant gaps in the side then we definitely aren't done...

More than ever transfer business is about other deals and situations permeating before you can make your move. Villa are the polar opposite of the Todd Boehly circus and I'm very grateful for that...

19 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree, we need a defensive player and a number 10 (a lock picker of sorts) imo.

18 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

When we signed Maatsen I thought we were 2-3 signings away from a significant upgrade of the squad. Onana made it two, still believe we need that RB/CB and AM.

We have the cover, but playing Konsa at RB and Carlos at CB weakens us a little, while we need that AM and an upgrade on Buendia who’s going to need a lot of game time to get back to his best.

I love everything about us and we have a great group of players and, of course, one of the very best managers in the world.

But, just having a quick overview of the squad… I don’t get the feeling that it’s one that can be expected to reach or excel in the knockout rounds of CL, for instance…but that’s something that was beyond our wildest dreams not so long ago. And we can discuss going far in domestic cup competitions too…

It’s just that, Unai’s words are stuck in my head “I don’t want Champions League to be anecdotal” - I don’t want it to be a one off, we want to maintain it. We want top 4 again and regularly!

The question is, does he have the squad to be able to do that? Has he got the best possible tools to try and achieve that? Again, guess it’s a wait-and-see but yeah, I do see Onana and Maatsen (and a brilliant and encouraging example of our approach to the market) as big, big signings and it’s easy to forget how young they are. I think it’ll be a while before we see the best of them as well. That’s the advantage of young, high potential players, there is always the capacity and potential for improvement, progress, development. You don’t really or rarely get that with DOBs.

Yeah, I do think a further one or two key, high quality additions could make a big difference and I’d be much more confident.

I think Unai sees us achieving a lot too, part of why he committed to a long term deal along with some of our key players.

Regardless, this is a season to enjoy and be immersed in…CL is going to be special, magical… an unforgettable experience and we will show what we’re capable of as well. We will keep upsetting the applecart and shit on a few “big teams” again too 💪

UTV!!! 🟣🔵

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Seems we’ve made the decision to risk it for now and gamble Mings comes back as the player he was, and in good time. Fair enough, I don’t think anyone wants to see him pushed out and at best he’d be back up for Torres anyway. 

Midfield is an embarrassment of riches and with Kamara seemingly back very soon it’s the strongest segment of the squad. If Duran is staying we’re good for the striker role (imo), 

Right side of defence is still the area we come up short imo. Carlos isn’t good enough on a consistent basis and I hate seeing Ezri played at RB because it weakens the whole back line to not have him at RCB. 

Geertruida is the one we need to properly balance that, and if he was the only signing we make now I’d be very confident we can kick on again this season. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I love everything about us and we have a great group of players and, of course, one of the very best managers in the world.

But, just having a quick overview of the squad… I don’t get the feeling that it’s one that can be expected to reach or excel in the knockout rounds of CL, for instance…but that’s something that was beyond our wildest dreams not so long ago. And we can discuss going far in domestic cup competitions too…

It’s just that, Unai’s words are stuck in my head “I don’t want Champions League to be anecdotal” - I don’t want it to be a one off, we want to maintain it. We want top 4 again and regularly!

The question is, does he have the squad to be able to do that? Has he got the best possible tools to try and achieve that? Again, guess it’s a wait-and-see but yeah, I do see Onana and Maatsen (and a brilliant and encouraging example of our approach to the market) as big, big signings and it’s easy to forget how young they are. I think it’ll be a while before we see the best of them as well. That’s the advantage of young, high potential players, there is always the capacity and potential for improvement, progress, development. You don’t really or rarely get that with DOBs.

Yeah, I do think a further one or two key, high quality additions could make a big difference and I’d be much more confident.

I think Unai sees us achieving a lot too, part of why he committed to a long term deal along with some of our key players.

Regardless, this is a season to enjoy and be immersed in…CL is going to be special, magical… an unforgettable experience and we will show what we’re capable of as well. We will keep upsetting the applecart and shit on a few “big teams” again too 💪

UTV!!! 🟣🔵

I don’t fawn to the opinion of the media and the faux top 6 podcasters whose opinions on football are based on who spends the most money.

The best coaches win you games and we have an elite manager who can make players better and close the gap in performance against elite squads.

Performance in the CL will come down to who we have to play in those 8 games. If we sign those two quality players I can see us getting to the final sixteen, if the squad doesn’t change from how it is now, we may not get past the play off stage prior to last 16.

I agree that Emery wants Top 4 again and we have far better depth with quality players coming back from long term injury, but will all need minutes on the grass and we may not see the best of them until early in the new year.

Emery has to balance all this, we will need some luck, but nothing will make me happier right now than a win over Dial Square, sorry Woolwich, sorry Arsenal on the weekend. Then I can watch those bed wetters from AFTV melt down one more time….

More from Unai today:

”I want here players being hungry to improve, hungry to get another level higher, as a club and individual as well as a player and very good example is Emi Martinez.

Emi Martinez is a very good example for every message I can send another players about what we want now as a club and here as a mentality.

I want to be here, I don’t want to waste time here, myself as a coach, progressing as a coach and I want the same mentality of the players and of course to achieve the objective we can face, dreaming, is very difficult but I want to dream and I want to dream and work hard to get it and, of course, at the moment we are doing very good way but still a lot of work to do to continue being consistent like I want”.

❤️❤️❤️

On transfers:

”Now we are more or less happy with the players we have in the squad. Of course, if we can add some players being a good opportunity for us to sign, we are going to be ready. But, I am very happy with what we have now but of course something can change, leaving players or maybe joining some players with us but, I think, the most important things in the transfer window, we already did.”

Posted (edited)

We have the squad filled, but i do think we are 2 players short of taking the squad to the next level (would prob need to move 2 players on to create a gap for them though).

1) Right Back.

2) a no.10 lock picker, we dont really have one, like a Felix, odegaard type.

We will probably play a lot of low blocks this season, and for all the pace, physicality and athleticism we now seem to have, we are kind of missing someone with elite vision/lock picking skills.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

We have the squad filled, but i do think we are 2 players short of taking the squad to the next level (would prob need to move 2 players on to create a gap for them though).

1) Right Back.

2) a no.10 lock picker, we dont really have one, like a Felix, odegaard type.

We will probably play a lot of low blocks this season, and for all the pace, physicality and athleticism we now seem to have, we are kind of missing someone with elite vision/lock picking skills.

Seems like we are all agreed on what we need…

as far as lockpickers, we do have Tielemans and Buendia. Bailey has been getting better at it and maybe Barkley can contribute too. But yeah, I want another and a better one…dunno if that’s wishful thinking though.

I think we're in a good place (given the restrictions we have to abide by). We came fourth even after tailing off last season. We have more depth, players back and Kamara to come back.

Duran I think will step up, Ned will take the RB slot. I'm confident we've got what we need. 

• Like 1

I think Emery rates Cash a lot more than many Villa fans, right-back was never a position we were desperate to strengthen. Now Iling looks to be going out on loan, I think there's a chance of another attacker coming in, might be a young prospect, like the equivalent of Nedeljković, but for the No.10 posiion perhaps, actually wouldn't be surprised if we signed a few 'project players' before the window closes. If Carlos or Duran leave then that might mean a more established player coming in.

Of course also nothing could happen, might be that we think Young or Jimoh-Aloba can step up if we have a few injuries in attack, and if Carlos and Duran stay we should be fine in defence and upfront, bearing in mind we've got Kamara coming back who can play defence

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Geertruida and Baena is the dream…

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Seems like we are all agreed on what we need…

as far as lockpickers, we do have Tielemans and Buendia. Bailey has been getting better at it and maybe Barkley can contribute too. But yeah, I want another and a better one…dunno if that’s wishful thinking though.

tbh i see Tielemans as more of the deep lock picker (through balls, defence splitting passes), Buendia is also very similar in that sense, he likes his through balls and defence splitting passes also.

What we lack is someone who can do it to an elite level on the edge of, and around, the box.

I guess my point is, tielemans, Buendia, Barkley etc are all players who are exceptional at through balls in to space, splitting defensive lines or players running on to their through balls etc, but thats usually when we have space in behind, we dont really have the players who can do it in tight spaces/congested areas, and we will probably see a lot more of that this season, compared to last year, or recent years.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â