Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Just need him to tell me if it's worth watching SSN on transfer deadline day or not. Ideally would like to avoid watching that tripe but it the hope that Saviola (or modern equivalent - Geertruida?) will come that makes you watch.

59 minutes ago, villa89 said:

What did you expect him to say, "Cash and Carlos are shyte but we can't find anyone stupid enough to buy them. If we got shot of them two we could sign geertruida"

He's just giving the standard answer to the media. 

I didn't expect him to say anything. But cheers for the condescending words you put in my mouth. 

We all debate this every year. Once they're saying we're basically done, we're done. 

We know Unai well enough by now. We are clearly still in the market but a very obvious message to selling clubs that we will only do deals that make sense for us. 

This is basically poker in the final week of the window and Unai (and the owners) have already shown that they will never blink first. 

• Like 1

It's always best to be comfortable with your squad and only buy when the deal is right and not out of desperation. It's the difference between paying 40m for Mac Allister and paying 40m for Mount.

I'd be surprised if we made a big purchase now, and Unai's comments confirm it for me. We have this debate with similar comments from the manager every year. In fact, only when we signed Dendoncker at the end of the window have we bought a player this late in the window since after the Covid window.

We've had a few loans each year (Lenglet, Zaniolo, Bednarek, Tuanzebe) at the end of the window. But in general, we have finished our business by the time the manager says we have enough.

Dendoncker is the exception to the rule and Gerrard was more openly saying he wanted more at this point that year

It’s possible we’ll be doing more. There are one or two things that we’re analysing,” said Gerrard, when asked about new arrivals.

“As I’ve said in previous press conferences, if things go our way we could have one or two new faces in. It’s not as straightforward as people think.

“We’ll try and do our best, and I know people are working hard in the background to try and support me in those areas.

Latest Summer Purchases

• Onana (Jul 22nd 2024)
  • Diaby (Jul 22nd 2023)
  • Dendoncker (Sept 1st 2022)
  • Bailey (1st Aug 2021)

None of this is to say I don't want somebody, but I think it's unlikely now that a major signing comes in. Hopefully though, we can find a way to make Geertruida happen.

It's our first year in the CL decades, hopefully they can pull one more out, even if it's against the usual way of working.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

I'd be surprised if we made a big purchase now, and Unai's comments confirm it for me. We have this debate with similar comments from the manager every year. In fact, only when we signed Dendoncker at the end of the window have we bought a player this late in the window since after the Covid window.

We've had a few loans each year (Lenglet, Zaniolo, Bednarek, Tuanzebe) at the end of the window. But in general, we have finished our business by the time the manager says we have enough.

Dendoncker is the exception to the rule and Gerrard was more openly saying he wanted more at this point that year

Latest Summer Purchases

• Onana (Jul 22nd 2024)
  • Diaby (Jul 22nd 2023)
  • Bailey (1st Aug 2021)

None of this is to say I don't want somebody, but I think it's unlikely now that a major signing comes in. Hopefully though, we can find a way to make Geertruida happen.

It's our first year in the CL decades, hopefully they can pull one more out, even if it's against the usual way of working.

Why are you selecting those four though?

3 minutes ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Why are you selecting those four though?

Because they're the last 4 summer transfer windows and the dates of our last purchases in them.

Going back a further year would mean it was the Covid year and couldn't remember how the transfer window was impacted by Covid and the summer before that was the year we had to buy 25 new players for our 25 man squad after promotion. Not to mention that also would have been 3 Managers and Directors of Football ago

The last 4 Windows including this one seemed a good barometer

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Because they're the last 4 summer transfer windows and the dates of our last purchases in them.

Going back a further year would mean it was the Covid year and couldn't remember how the transfer window was impacted by Covid and the summer before that was the year we had to buy 25 new players for our 25 man squad after promotion. Not to mention that also would have been 3 Managers and Directors of Football ago

The last 4 Windows including this one seemed a good barometer

Ahhh I see what you’re saying now. That makes sense. 

2 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Just need him to tell me if it's worth watching SSN on transfer deadline day or not. Ideally would like to avoid watching that tripe but it the hope that Saviola (or modern equivalent - Geertruida?) will come that makes you watch.

When the window slams shut 

• Like 1

We’re weak at CB and RB depending on where Konsa plays. Geertruida is a no brainer as he improves us at RB and covers RCB too.

Surely it must be happening, we need him more than we do another striker.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, burchy said:

We’re weak at CB and RB depending on where Konsa plays. Geertruida is a no brainer as he improves us at RB and covers RCB too.

Surely it must be happening, we need him more than we do another striker.

Agreed, it’s the one signing that seems too good not to get done, even if we can’t shift everyone we’d like to beforehand. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Latest Summer Purchases

• Onana (Jul 22nd 2024)
  • Diaby (Jul 22nd 2023)
  • Bailey (1st Aug 2021)

Even the way Gerrard framed buying players as "Supporting me" is annoying. I'm sure if you go through Unai quotes he would never make the project about himself and it would be team first.

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Ugh, I just want to see us play a consistent run of games! This Transfer window is tiresome now. 

Only two games until the international break 😢 

Interesting comments from Emi (article/interview posted in his thread). First McGinn now Emi commenting on our restrictions:

it is intriguing to wonder whether this Saturday’s match is a clash of title contenders.

“Nah,” says Martínez, in a flash. “You can see that we sold two or three good players that we had, which Unai didn’t want to do.

“I know with PSR [profitability and sustainability rules], they can’t really sign as much as the owner wants. It’s going to be a little bit harder than everyone thinks, so it is a work in progress.

“We want to go on a cup run, maybe even win the Carabao Cup or the FA Cup. But there is no way we can challenge for the title.”

With Martínez around, surely anything is possible.

Backing up what Nassef was saying and our frustrations with the rules and restrictions… we would do more, if we could or were allowed…

Also suggesting, just as Vidagany did, that we did not want to lose certain players… but had to, to satisfy PSR and SCR. Frustrating.

Edited by Jas10

Kind of sad to hear him say that but I guess the players are just being realistic… a shame we can’t strengthen as much or spend as much as we would like… especially when we are so well run and have zero debt… unlike other clubs.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â