Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Just now, TRO said:

Yeah, I get that.

thinking a bit deeper, maybe if Tielemans was injured, we may struggle for creativity, but it’s tricky to balance if he didn’t and we bought someone…..there might be some long faces.

I’ve been impressed by Youri and rate him as a player, his abilities.

But, I have yet to have my concerns over his robustness and stamina/fitness levels eradicated… I worry when I see that exhausted look on his face.

We are stocked in midfield… I think it’s very much a wait and see on how much quality, ability and form they will have but I’m more than willing and happy to see them prove themselves. Onana is the main man but…. I have faith in Enzo and Barkley should prove useful at the very least. Two capable backups there I think, and it’s very early days - way too soon to judge anyone or anything. Will be fantastic to have Bouba back but… he’s also been an injury prone player since we’ve had him. I hope we can solve that…

As for long faces or upset players… I think we proved we can manage that in the main. Unai seemed to have a handle on it, but for Jhon who I hope is refocused, dedicated and sticks with us. I don’t want us to undersell and bring in a panic signing or replacement. The signs were positive in the last game and I thoroughly enjoyed the celebrations. Few things make me as happy as seeing genuine togetherness and happiness in our team… he’s a real asset if he concentrated and shows some patience and understanding. Respect and learn from Unai Jhon… it will do wonders for your career.

Bailey spoke openly about how great Unai is and how he makes every player feel valued… even if they start games on the bench, they are made aware of their importance in terms of coming on in a game and impacting/changing it. Leon was certainly not upset with that role… but I think he will be a starter in the main now. We are benefitting from the 5 sub rule change.

I do worry about his robustness too… gets kicked regularly aswell. There are a few of our players that do pick up knocks and strains fairly often.

Pau and Carlos struggled to stay clear of niggles… Diego, in particular, struggles to play cosmetics games. With his age and wages, it would be good if we could sell and bring in someone younger and more reliable.

We have players returning from serious and long injuries… cannot predict how they will fare. I’m so excited by JJ’s return… what a player to have!

As ever, those at the club have a handle on everything, all the necessary data and research, and will make all the right decisions 💪 

• Like 2

I've been thinking of the Sterling link a bit less emotionally, as at first I was like no way, too old, past his best.

But as I think about it, if he is happy to be a rotation option and not first choice (he wouldn't start ahead of the likes of Ramsey, Rogers, Bailey, and McGinn), and it's a loan deal then it actually makes quite a bit of sense.

He has proven himself at both Liverpool and City, he has top four quality. He can play in any position behind the striker. His game is very similar to Diaby, who made some telling contributions last season, plus he is best mates with Bailey.

If we get him on loan for no fee and 100 - 150k of his wages that would be a fantastic deal for the club. We sell diaby and his 150k wages for 50m and get sterling for free for the same wages, while replacing like for like with a proven prem player.

Given, Nico Williams and Joao Felix aren't happening and would be far more expensive, a favorable financial package for Sterling would be a smart short term solution. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, _AA_786 said:

Think we're suggesting different things. I'd like a loan with a buy option just so we can avoid splurging cash now and we can see how he would adapt to the english game. He strikes me as being one of those players who leaves Barca for cheap, goes elsewhere where it clicks and then teams like us would be looking at him for a far larger fee (bit like Todibo or Olmo for instance). Given Barca's problems it seemed like an opportunity to get him prior to his value increasing on a favourable loan with reasonable buy figure as we'll need to start planning for Ollie's successor in the next couple of years so having Roque and Duran developing behind him seemed sensible.

Don't disagree with your view that bringing him in if only on loan would be counterproductive.

Yeah that's totally fair, im not convinced moving to England after struggling in Spain, alongside the specific issues in his game would really see development but that's personal opinion :)

2 hours ago, sne said:

Anything worth pilfering from the PSG bomb squad? Skriniar and a couple more not allowed to train with team apparently.

Skriniar is available?

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

I've been thinking of the Sterling link a bit less emotionally, as at first I was like no way, too old, past his best.

But as I think about it, if he is happy to be a rotation option and not first choice (he wouldn't start ahead of the likes of Ramsey, Rogers, Bailey, and McGinn), and it's a loan deal then it actually makes quite a bit of sense.

He has proven himself at both Liverpool and City, he has top four quality. He can play in any position behind the striker. His game is very similar to Diaby, who made some telling contributions last season, plus he is best mates with Bailey.

If we get him on loan for no fee and 100 - 150k of his wages that would be a fantastic deal for the club. We sell diaby and his 150k wages for 50m and get sterling for free for the same wages, while replacing like for like with a proven prem player.

Given, Nico Williams and Joao Felix aren't happening and would be far more expensive, a favorable financial package for Sterling would be a smart short term solution. 

That’s how I see it.

We’d potentially be in a position where we’d be bringing Sterling, Duran and Bailey on after 60 minutes in a match. 

Have we ever had that kind of depth?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He's right. He means if there is an opportunity late in the window for us to get a player in that makes a difference we will do it if we can. However we have a complete Squad as it stands, 2+ players per position and all players Emery trusts. 

20 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He's right. He means if there is an opportunity late in the window for us to get a player in that makes a difference we will do it if we can. However we have a complete Squad as it stands, 2+ players per position and all players Emery trusts. 

It's the old "we dont have to do any business if we dont want to" line to other clubs. I'm sure we have some offers out there, it's just up to selling club to lift them if they get desperate enough at the end of the window.

Edited by ChicagoVillan1983

I think we’ve got enough attacking options now.
Having JJ and Emi back makes a huge difference, while Rodgers replacing Diaby in the second striker role is a big positive. 
Would really love to bring in a RB/RCB/CB, preferably Geertruida. 

34 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Ah the classic "we're done, but we might not be, but we could be, but maybe not" quote.

Tbf that is usually spot on....just us fans that think it means we are lining up a sneaky 60 million star!

8 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

That's pretty much that then

What did you expect him to say, "Cash and Carlos are shyte but we can't find anyone stupid enough to buy them. If we got shot of them two we could sign geertruida"

He's just giving the standard answer to the media. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Ah the classic "we're done, but we might not be, but we could be, but maybe not" quote.

When the waiter in the curry house tries to take away the plates 

• Haha 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â