Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Yes, let’s buy the player that Pep decided wasn’t good enough for City anymore and was able to Jedi mind trick Boehly into dropping £50m on him. Two years later, they realise he’s not an elite player and certainly doesn’t earn his wages.

19 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's being reported in at least six major UK newspapers now. It's beyond bait.

All based on Chelsea have offered Sterling so worthless BS

6 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

All based on Chelsea have offered Sterling so worthless BS

Yeah feel like it all came from one rumour from Ben Jacobs maybe, or was it Gary Jacob? Then everyone has jumped on it, doesn't feel like the right profile for us I'm not convinced by the rumour (although i'm not super keen on him so maybe I'm just willing it into non-existance). I don't know if the original source is reliable? Looks like John Townley at the Birmingham Mail has reported it also, makes me feel like it's more likely accurate as he's not one to repost rumours unless he's had some sort of confirmation it's true.

Edited by Monsieur Hazdazler

1 minute ago, skarroki said:

It's farcical and it's weird it's still happening. 

Just look at this list:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/manchester-city-u23/rekordabgaenge/verein/9265

Man City have made over £100 million from players in the last few years who have never kicked a football for them or been on loan to a top flight club. A lot of the buying clubs had staff members from Man City involved in the deal. Stinks of corruption. 

Bobby Clark is a lad who'd maybe go for a nominal fee 5 years ago and it wouldn't even be reported what it was cos it would be so little nobody would care or expect him to suddenly kick on in Austria. Now he's an expensive teenager linking up with the former Liverpool assistant manager and other backroom staff members and given their 10 shirt. 

Leicester haven't got a pot to pee in but they're throwing Spurs a chunk of the money for Solanke for their 7th choice CM who's done nothing much at the top level and is sat behind two teenagers in the pecking order. 

Nketiah bring talked about as a young lad that can go and kick on now, he's at a club where it couldn't be easier for him to do well and he's just not done it and now approaching 26. 

Grinds my gears. Especially when people are talking about who's having a good window. I've heard plenty people tell me now we overspent on Maatsen "3rd choice" LB for Chelsea. But they think 18 year old Yoro who looked average against us, had 12 months left on his contract, openly said he didn't want to go to Man Utd and is injured, that's a sign Man Utd are back on track? Followed by overpaying on two injury prone Ajax alumni so Ten Hag can continue to build Amsterdam United. 

All this to say, I hope if we do get Sterling we completely fleece Chelsea, and he has a blinder for us. If we could get Chalobah whilst we're at it happy days. 

Fair to say you can't take Man United fans opinion on transfers/players seriously, at least the brigade you see online. They were raving about their window - for me it stinks of all the same issues they've had for years... overpaying for players and signing known quantities to the manager because their recruitment structure is so poor they can't identify other targets. I do think De Ligt and Mazroui will be decent for them though, but yeah Yoro is a big overpay on a project player.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Top lad. Top player. 

Was a top player for output at Man City 2 seasons ago. He turns 30 in a few months.

Have you factored in the finances into your opinion to sign him? 
Where does he fit in given he has always played as a wide forward and we don't play one?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Was a top player for output at Man City 2 seasons ago. He turns 30 in a few months.

Where does he fit in given he has always played as a wide forward and we don't play one?

Didnt Diaby play as a wide forward? 

7 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Diaby, Bailey, Philogene

Also Ramsey and McGinn never played "wide" before

Sterling played the role of "make sure you are arriving in middle of the 6 yard box for tap-ins and crosses and blocks and ricochets" more than just being an out-and-out winger for Pep in his most productive season. I think he'd be able to do what Bailey provides us but on the other flank.

People been saying he enjoys working with the younger players now as "Uncle Raheem" and he can do that with us if he's willing to fit into the wage structure. 

Also said it earlier but he'd give us invaluable Champions League pedigree in the squad. It's an immeasurable having that know-how in the dressing room. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Yeah feel like it all came from one rumour from Ben Jacobs maybe, or was it Gary Jacob? Then everyone has jumped on it, doesn't feel like the right profile for us I'm not convinced by the rumour (although i'm not super keen on him so maybe I'm just willing it into non-existance). I don't know if the original source is reliable? Looks like John Townley at the Birmingham Mail has reported it also, makes me feel like it's more likely accurate as he's not one to repost rumours unless he's had some sort of confirmation it's true.

Sounds like it's been quashed now

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Diaby, Bailey, Philogene

Also Ramsey and McGinn never played "wide" before

Sterling played the role of "make sure you are arriving in middle of the 6 yard box for tap-ins and crosses and blocks and ricochets" more than just being an out-and-out winger for Pep in his most productive season. I think he'd be able to do what Bailey provides us but on the other flank.

People been saying he enjoys working with the younger players now as "Uncle Raheem" and he can do that with us if he's willing to fit into the wage structure. 

Also said it earlier but he'd give us invaluable Champions League pedigree in the squad. It's an immeasurable having that know-how in the dressing room. 

Both those players who have never played wide still don't play wide. They start at left and right midfield and then come inside with the ball, they don't go down the wing.
When Emery wants to play someone who goes from right midfield down the wing he uses Bailey for that role but most of the time he plays in a free role around Ollie. I have no idea where JPB will play, when he does.

What you describe with him at City is correct, he played as a wide forward who box crashed for the tap in, we don't have a position to do that from unless that free role position is more wide, but I don't see it. The rest of what you said is of course true.

51 minutes ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

Have you watched him play for Barca? He's been no where near the level...poor both on and off the ball. He's not going to be good enough for us to play consistently, so he's not going to come on loan and sit in the stands or on the bench. Rumours he's heading to Betis I think? Much better chance of first team football there.

Beg to differ sorry.

Have you seen him play for Brazil U20s or Cruzeiro?

He got to Barca in January and they're a mess. Simply throwing kids in and relying on them to deliver immediately. Many a youngster has needed time to adjust and even experienced pros like Lewandowski or Gundogan have failed to hit previous highs whilst there. So judging him on those 4-5 months is harsh.

He has huge potential and needs a club who can nuture that. Our record with kids at the moment is pretty decent, we have Unai and being brought in slowly behind Ollie will do him good. Also he has complimentary traits to Duran so can either offer something different or they could form a great partnership one day.

4 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

Beg to differ sorry.

Have you seen him play for Brazil U20s or Cruzeiro?

He got to Barca in January and they're a mess. Simply throwing kids in and relying on them to deliver immediately. Many a youngster has needed time to adjust and even experienced pros like Lewandowski or Gundogan have failed to hit previous highs whilst there. So judging him on those 4-5 months is harsh.

He has huge potential and needs a club who can nuture that. Our record with kids at the moment is pretty decent, we have Unai and being brought in slowly behind Ollie will do him good. Also he has complimentary traits to Duran so can either offer something different or they could form a great partnership one day.

Yeah but what was mentioned above was a loan... if there was a permanent transfer and Emery felt he could develop him, then sure... but we're not going to loan someone for a season to just develop them for someone else at this stage.

And no I can't claim to watch Brazil U20s or Cruziero matches, I doubt many here could claim that beyond goals/highlights :D 

Edited by Monsieur Hazdazler

The fact that a majority are absolutely appalled with the Sterling link is a testament to how far we've come :D 

Look, not a signing for the next 5 years is it, but 100% improves our squad.

If the financial components of the deal make sense, for me it's a no brainer. Personal opinion is that a loan, with no obligation makes sense. Then reassess next year based on performance (not of sterling, but of us), and final position, qualifying for europe, financial situation etc. 

Come back to this every time, but if Unai is keen, then I'm all in. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brum_Aus_Villan said:

The fact that a majority are absolutely appalled with the Sterling link is a testament to how far we've come :D 

Look, not a signing for the next 5 years is it, but 100% improves our squad.

If the financial components of the deal make sense, for me it's a no brainer. Personal opinion is that a loan, with no obligation makes sense. Then reassess next year based on performance (not of sterling, but of us), and final position, qualifying for europe, financial situation etc. 

Come back to this every time, but if Unai is keen, then I'm all in. 

even if there was no fee and he dropped his wage from 17.5m to 10m a year we could have signed a player for 20m on a 5 year deal with wages of 120k a week instead. Someone like Geertrudia for example

We signed Barkley and even though Emery wanted him i still disapprove of it, but what does my opinion matter… not everyone Emery brings in do i think is gonna work or be amazing but thats just what it is… like someone had stated before the ‘Whats good enough for Unai is good enough for me’ train is a dangerous one to follow. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â