Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh i see Tielemans as more of the deep lock picker (through balls, defence splitting passes), Buendia is also very similar in that sense, he likes his through balls and defence splitting passes also.

What we lack is someone who can do it to an elite level on the edge of, and around, the box.

I guess my point is, tielemans, Buendia, Barkley etc are all players who are exceptional at through balls in to space, splitting defensive lines or players running on to their through balls etc, but thats usually when we have space in behind, we dont really have the players who can do it in tight spaces/congested areas, and we will probably see a lot more of that this season, compared to last year, or recent years.

Gotcha 👍

Thoughts on Rogers there? Would love another and possibly elite (potentially) option there… we need (and Monchi said that’s what we want) two quality options in every position. 

Encouraged by Unai’s comments on Enzo.. very positive. I like the look of him and can see him being regularly involved. He’s in the squad for tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Gotcha 👍

Thoughts on Rogers there? Would love another and possibly elite (potentially) option there… we need (and Monchi said that’s what we want) two quality options in every position. 

i dont want to build rogers up too much, but at the same time he is already one of my favourite Villa players.

tbh i think Rogers has the potential to be a top player, athletic, powerful, skilful, he prob has the ability to be an 8/10 across the board, but i also dont think he is the elite lock picker type, i think he will be able to do a bit of everything to a very high level if he continues to develop, but not specifically an elite lock picker type.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont want to build rogers up too much, but at the same time he is already one of my favourite Villa players.

tbh i think Rogers has the potential to be a top player, athletic, powerful, skilful, he prob has the ability to be an 8/10 across the board, but i also dont think he is the elite lock picker type, i think he will be able to do a bit of everything to a very high level if he continues to develop, but not specifically an elite lock picker type.

Same here, think we must be careful not to overhype him and expect too much… it’s difficult for young players to be consistent too and I don’t want fans putting pressure on him. I’d like him to be rotated and avoid fatigue/burnout as we saw in several players last season… he can’t be expected to be exceptional in every game over the course of the entire season. Am looking forward to more of him and JJ (please stay injury free) linking up in games…could be key for us. 

Another thing is, if we sign top quality players it can help their teammates or younger players improve and develop even further too… and competition is usually a good thing and brings the best out of players. We don’t want anyone resting on their laurels…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

Rogers is primed for what we call here the “sophomore jinx” which means people finally have tape on you and your standard moves will have been countered. That’s where good separates from great. 

But he also is not the main threat, so he’s got a lot of grace there. Gotta shut down Ollie, Leon, and then there’s Morgan to get ya. 

• Like 1

This evening I watched Alex Baena in Siviglia-Villareal. Top, top midfielder. Reminds me David Silva. He could be your replacement for Douglas Luiz. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Just to clarify… by “lock picker” do you mean an attacking player that breaks through with dribbling/technical skills more or more a player that basically puts the ball on a plate for the likes of Ollie? Or a combination of both?

I generally identify a “lock picker” as a player that cuts through the opposition with incisive, killer through balls and creates chances for fun. I think Buendia can do that, while Tielemans is that deeper player you spoke of (although he did really well when he was up there last season and can still be positioned there at times).

I’d also like us to be able to score from range (Rogers might be able to do that fairly regularly) and from free kicks (we don’t really carry that threat, Baena would be excellent for it and some of that lovely lock picking 😆).

The more weapons we have, the better.

1 minute ago, jigen said:

This evening I watched Alex Baena in Siviglia-Villareal. Top, top midfielder. Reminds me David Silva. He could be your replacement for Douglas Luiz. 

Dream signing.

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just to clarify… by “lock picker” do you mean an attacking player that breaks through with dribbling/technical skills more or more a player that basically puts the ball on a plate for the likes of Ollie? Or a combination of both?

I generally identify a “lock picker” as a player that cuts through the opposition with incisive, killer through balls and creates chances for fun. I think Buendia can do that, while Tielemans is that deeper player you spoke of (although he did really well when he was up there last season and can still be positioned there at times).

I’d also like us to be able to score from range (Rogers might be able to do that fairly regularly) and from free kicks (we don’t really carry that threat, Baena would be excellent for it and some of that lovely lock picking 😆).

The more weapons we have, the better.

by lock picker, i mean the type of player who has the composure, skill, vision etc to take the ball on the edge of the box somewhere, and have the vision, composure and ability to thread balls through the eye of a needle, to give and receive passes against the extremely tight spaces of a low block, and find space, as well as find defence killing passes in the 3-5 yards around the box.

the type of player where if he was playing against you, you would be soiling yourself as a fan if they receive the ball around the edges of the 18 yard box, as you know that if there is a gap, or someone loses concentration, this player can split your defence open with a shot, a pass, or something, someone who can thread the needle through your parked bus, and break down the most resolute defence with a moment of magic.

(not the Gerrard type of magic.....)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

by lock picker, i mean the type of player who has the composure, skill, vision etc to take the ball on the edge of the box somewhere, and have the vision, composure and ability to thread balls through the eye of a needle, to give and receive passes against the extremely tight spaces of a low block, and find space, as well as find defence killing passes in the 3-5 yards around the box.

the type of player where if he was playing against you, you would be soiling yourself as a fan if they receive the ball around the edges of the 18 yard box, as you know that if there is a gap, or someone loses concentration, this player can split your defence open with a shot, a pass, or something, someone who can thread the needle through your parked bus, and break down the most resolute defence with a moment of magic.

Felix? 😂

• Shocked 1

11 minutes ago, 479Villan said:

Rogers is primed for what we call here the “sophomore jinx” which means people finally have tape on you and your standard moves will have been countered. That’s where good separates from great. 

But he also is not the main threat, so he’s got a lot of grace there. Gotta shut down Ollie, Leon, and then there’s Morgan to get ya. 

Not sure mate.

He isn't one of those players who is easy to stop.

Knowing what a good player is going to do, and stopping them is another thing altogether.

The only thing which lets him down sometimes is the final pass or decision 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Definitely saw signs of this from Bailey last season and it was quite surprising or unexpected.

Just now, Jas10 said:

Definitely saw signs of this from Bailey last season and it was quite surprising or unexpected.

i dont think Bailey covers it in a million years im afraid.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Not sure mate.

He isn't one of those players who is easy to stop.

Knowing what a good player is going to do, and stopping them is another thing altogether.

The only thing which lets him down sometimes is the final pass or decision 

I’m not saying it will happen, but I know the road to hell is paved with “first year wonders.”

His luxury is being surrounded by talent. And that can make it so his growth is manageable. But people are going to pay attention to him now. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think Bailey covers it in a million years im afraid.

No probs 👍 we need him out wide anyway but I was honestly very impressed with him last season, up there with Ollie. At times, it felt like he was our most dangerous player.

Any suggestions on signings that could bring all that?

Would’ve loved Olmo…

Edited by Jas10

Just now, Jas10 said:

No probs 👍 we need him out wide anyway but I was honestly very impressed with him last season, up there with Ollie. At times, it felt like he was our most dangerous player.

Any suggestions on signings that could bring all that?

is Zidane still playing???

• Haha 1

Jacob Tanswell on 1874 podcast:

”I would be surprised if they didn’t sign someone else, it’s just a pure hunch in terms of that type of CB/RB. I really think they’re light at the back and if they can do something in attacking areas… I know Raheem Sterling has been linked but no, I checked it last night and, as of now, there was nothing in the story and also his wages would be beyond what Villa’s salary structure is so… I would be surprised if that happened but, at the same time, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an attacker that came in aswell.

But, I think the focus, again, is moving some of those players off the wage bill. I know Moreno has gone on loan but, you know, the likes of Dendoncker too”.

Edited by Jas10

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â