Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Yes and also smaller squad but more adaptable players capable of playing multiple positions. Means as injuries mount we can fill the gaps by fewer players of high quality. It's a smart way to compete on a lower budget 

I agree - the risk is more square pegs in round holes or shortages with a particularly  horrible injury  list. I wouldn't  be averse to targeting more youngsters that wouldn't take a squad place but add a bit more depth and potential. Kane Taylor type of signing if we can't  promote from within

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We don;t need 4 players, 2 max.

Yeah signings for the sake of it there really.. not sure we need a creative midfielder as well as a second striker. To be honest if we can't shift Carlos and Duran is staying I can see a world where we make no additions due to squad being quite big and probably on the limit for UEFA squad cost ratio. I think we all know we could improve the right side of the defence in some way by having another option to play rb next to Konsa, but think we'll only be able to do it if we see a significant outgoing eg Carlos. I don't think Moreno leaving on loan signals any arrivals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Surely if we "lose" £6m in amortisation on him per season anyway, it's equivalent to sell for £6m now and take the £6m FFP loss now to get the wages off the books too if we wanted a replacement (on those wages) that badly? How is waiting a year to "break even" better?

That's more a hypothetical scenario anyway because I would've thought we'd be looking for £15-20m for Carlos.

We are just going to keep him and play him and not sign any other defenders. Seems pretty clear to me and based on what Emery said. 

I assume we wanted £10m to £12m at least to sell Carlos this window. Nothing more than his remaining book value as he's 31 and on £5m+ wages a season 

Think most are in agreement that we need a defender- be it RCB or RB or ideally one who can do both. 

Personally I think we need a striker. With teams player 1 up top it's a bit like the GK position where you want 3 and prefer your backups to both not be kids. One tends to be experienced. Same goes for strikers and I get we can use Rogers occasionally but in the same way we have to pay a DOB in Olsen to be an experienced back-up, we probably need the same up front imo.

With those 2 additions we're done

With Duran sale seemingly off, I'm pretty sure Unai will integrate him back into the squad and he'll be no2 alternative to Ollie. Better to get the best out of his desire to improve and show his stuff than bringing in another forward (DOB or otherwise). One more defender, probably on loan, and we're done. And that's fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

We must be bringing in a defender… Cash being injured has exposed how light we are there now. Throwing in an 18 year old doesn’t seem wise, a lot of pressure. Carlos will probably play vs Arsenal and Ezri back to RB, but anyone gets injured in that game and we are in trouble…

Bogarde being bigged up after one or two preseason performances, when he is actually a DM, and being considered ready for PL and CL football doesn’t seem wise either…

Mings is a ways off and we don’t know how he will fare, Diego is unreliable, inconsistent and injury prone 😬

It’s a big, challenging and long season..  we need our defence to be up to it. The priority department to strengthen in… other areas feel like more of a bonus.

Cash just taken off as a precaution on Saturday. He's not injured as in out for any period of time. I agree we'll start Carlos on Saturday Vs Arsenal.

However as I said we've 9 defenders in the squad and 2 per position with Bogarde as spare.

I don't think a defender signing is likely now Carlos is staying. We've cover from Kamara and January window to operate in if we need to. 

11 minutes ago, _AA_786 said:

Think most are in agreement that we need a defender- be it RCB or RB or ideally one who can do both. 

Personally I think we need a striker. With teams player 1 up top it's a bit like the GK position where you want 3 and prefer your backups to both not be kids. One tends to be experienced. Same goes for strikers and I get we can use Rogers occasionally but in the same way we have to pay a DOB in Olsen to be an experienced back-up, we probably need the same up front imo.

With those 2 additions we're done

You need to set expectations on we're already done. If you think we're bringing in 2 more players without Duran ans Carlos being sold you're setting yourself up for a disappointment. 

I'd like Geertruida in to upgrade on Cash as I feel RB is our weakest position. I don't want to move Konsa back out there. I'd also like to sell Carlos and bring in a better option that can cover the RCB role and is good in the air, like Bijol. 

If Duran is staying and given our attacking options, I'm happy with the rest of it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We are just going to keep him and play him and not sign any other defenders. Seems pretty clear to me and based on what Emery said. 

I assume we wanted £10m to £12m at least to sell Carlos this window. Nothing more than his remaining book value as he's 31 and on £5m+ wages a season 

Okay, but my question was about keeping a player for a year so their book value reduces and you don't make an FFP loss on them.

I asked how this was better than just selling at a loss and taking the hit, rather than have their amortisation cost you the same anyway, plus paying their wages. I think the assumption it's better to loan and sell later is simply wrong - you still incur the same FFP losses either way, but in one case you pay the wages too.

If I've got it wrong, I could do with an explanation.

I cant see a striker coming in. If we can get Duran back on the Villa kool aid and patient to take his chances, its one of the best bits of business this summer. The kid is a potential superstar if he just stays focussed.
But we do indeed need a right back as a priority and a centre half if Carlos is going.

The string puller / number 10. It would be nice, but we're already trying to figure out how to get McGinn, Rogers, Buendia, Ramsey, etc into teams.
It would be a shame to push Rogers and Ramsey further back in the pecking order for instance.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Hasn't Gauci basically been operating as number 2 anyway

Yes because Olsen injured but people want to keep signing more GKs that may or may not fit with Emery distribution system

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fightoffyour said:

Okay, but my question was about keeping a player for a year so their book value reduces and you don't make an FFP loss on them.

I asked how this was better than just selling at a loss and taking the hit, rather than have their amortisation cost you the same anyway, plus paying their wages. I think the assumption it's better to loan and sell later is simply wrong - you still incur the same FFP losses either way, but in one case you pay the wages too.

If I've got it wrong, I could do with an explanation.

I'll explain. 

If we sell Carlos for say £8m we book a loss of £5m as a result. But we save £5m in wages.

We then sign a replacement for £25m on 5 year deal so £5m amortisation cost and let's say £3m salary.

So we now have a cost of £8m and a loss of £5m so for PSR this season it's -£13m 

If we keep Carlos he will cost us £11m in remaining wages and amortisation for the season. So it's cheaper keeping him.

Then come end of the season we sell him for £6m we book a loss of 0 and remove his cost from the books of £11m sign his replacement as above and costs us £8m per year.

So now we've lowered cost by £3m, replaced him and booked no loss. Any booked loss remains in Squad cost Rule for 3 years while wages and amortisation is just the current year. 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yes because Olsen injured but people want to keep signing more GKs that may or may not fit with Emery distribution system

We've 4 GKs and that's plenty for this season. We can't afford and nobody wants to join to be backup to the world's best GK

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â