Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

All feels a bit unbalanced at the moment. Philogene is great but we already have lots of players in that position, also young and English. CM is more of a priority and another defender, preferably both starters. Philogene will be competing with Ramsey, Rogers and Iling Jr for a starting place so it seems a bit of a weird one.

Unless Ramsey to Spurs is true and Lo Celso is the new CM.

1 minute ago, Leeroy said:

All feels a bit unbalanced at the moment. Philogene is great but we already have lots of players in that position, also young and English. CM is more of a priority and another defender, preferably both starters. Philogene will be competing with Ramsey, Rogers and Iling Jr for a starting place so it seems a bit of a weird one.

And then i wouls have serious questions and concerns with emery if he think lo celso is bettee than ramsey

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Why would we want a Spurs sub like Lo Celso!

• Like 1

I'd like one but I'm not convinced we do sign another CM. Enzo, McGinn, Barkley, Tielemans and then Kamara coming back after 10-15 matches hopefully. For 2 positions it's enough numbers.

I'm really hoping for a top drawer CB or RB tbh, but I guess it could be dependent on Carlos or Cash leaving.

11 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's weird, if we bring in Philogene, we're overstocked in terms of attacking midfielders and you'd expect one or two to go - Ramsey would be the natural one with the noise around him going to Spurs - but it's hard to see how we'd work around that with the home-grown issues we have for our CL squad. Diaby might go I guess, but perhaps wouldn't be the smartest financially this summer - I can't see us moving on Dobbin, Illing-Junior or Rogers already and from what I can see Bailey is pretty settled - a mystery!

I mean as mysteries go, I'll take having far too many fabulously gifted attacking footballers, it's a nice problem to have - but I wouldn't imagine we'll be able to keep them all happy.

Philogene played right wing back for us in the USA tour last season didn't he?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I think we should take a punt on this Yamal kid. Only 16 but a lot of potential. Barca need to sell so should be easy to negotiate.

Nah, we don't need any more left footers. 

9 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

There is no way we weaken ourselves to strengthen Spurts!

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

I'd like one but I'm not convinced we do sign another CM. Enzo, McGinn, Barkley, Tielemans and then Kamara coming back after 10-15 matches hopefully. For 2 positions it's enough numbers.

I'm really hoping for a top drawer CB or RB tbh, but I guess it could be dependent on Carlos or Cash leaving.

I’ll be shocked if we don’t sign a CM.  We are weaker than we were in 23/24 season with the names you mention.  No way is Kamara back after 10-15 matches.  We need a quality CM to come in.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

This is all that matters. I agree with you, but we’re a long way from finished in the market. 

The best players in Europe and the Americas are all involved in the latter stages of major tournaments and will likely have little interest in negotiating transfers.

We just need to be patient.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It's weird, if we bring in Philogene, we're overstocked in terms of attacking midfielders and you'd expect one or two to go - Ramsey would be the natural one with the noise around him going to Spurs - but it's hard to see how we'd work around that with the home-grown issues we have for our CL squad. Diaby might go I guess, but perhaps wouldn't be the smartest financially this summer - I can't see us moving on Dobbin, Illing-Junior or Rogers already and from what I can see Bailey is pretty settled - a mystery!

I mean as mysteries go, I'll take having far too many fabulously gifted attacking footballers, it's a nice problem to have - but I wouldn't imagine we'll be able to keep them all happy.

I was wondering if we do possibly see Ramsey go or Diaby to Saudi? Hopefully not though. I wouldn't be surprised if Dobbin went out on loan though. Maybe there's also a plan to convert 1 or 2 to positions we don't expect. We've seen wide players used up front and supposedly Iling Jr can play wingback?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’ll be shocked if we don’t sign a CM.  We are weaker than we were in 23/24 season with the names you mention.  No way is Kamara back after 10-15 matches.  We need a quality CM to come in.

Back running supposedly so I don't think October/November is out of the question. Going to get some sh*t for this but considering how Luiz played 2nd half of last season I think Barkley will be an upgrade. I also think Enzo will be ready and surprise some people.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Why would we want a Spurs sub like Lo Celso!

Emery worked with him before, they had a bid knocked back which included him etc. He’s never impressed me at Prem level but was by all accounts very good at Villarreal and still gets in a very good Argentina team so he must have something managers like. 

Personally I'm not that keen on it but we didn’t go for Wieffer, we now have missed out on Fofana, so I’m starting to doubt we are going to spend any money on this position and if we do get someone here it will be part of a swap deal.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, nick76 said:

People seem to forget that playing in the CL is a massive jump in quality.

Currently the squad simply isn't good enough to compete there. 

Villa desperately need quality starters at CB, CM, DM, and a quality back up striker to give Watkins a rest if Duran is going to West Ham.

Signings so far have been to bolster the squad with the exception of Maatsen from Chelsea.

Edited by striker

Hopefully not in any deal that involves JJ going the other way, but I’d gladly take Lo Celso in a reasonably priced deal. Unai has worked with him before, good squad option imo!

15 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Philogene played right wing back for us in the USA tour last season didn't he?

I might be wrong, but I don't think so - in the first game I think he was right midfield with Konsa at right back and in the second game, Cash played at right back and I think JPB might been a bit more central in supporting Ollie - it's hard to really tell for sure on the reports from the games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I reckon Ramsey will go.

We don't need to shift him out this year though. A good season and he will be worth far more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JPAngel said:

This is all that matters. I agree with you, but we’re a long way from finished in the market. 

The best players in Europe and the Americas are all involved in the latter stages of major tournaments and will likely have little interest in negotiating transfers.

We just need to be patient.

That’s fair but I was more commenting on the philogene deal and if it made sense to us.

I’m hoping after the Euros/Copa America ends we will see a couple of big additions in midfield and defence which will see us look more in shape for our first CL campaign. And another forward if Duran is sold as expected.

• Like 1

Finally having attacking options to turn to on the bench each week that offer something different will be a massive plus so more weapons the better.

spacer.png

I get some people are saying we have too many players and we do need some balance. Which is why for the DM role, which will be needed in the CL, we need someone else IMO. Our current players could do a job but we're assuming Kamara is back in Oct/Nov by which time we may be slipping behind teams. We also need to allow for adaptation pains with Enzo so if we did sign a midfielder it would ideally need to be a more defensive one. Hence favouring moves for Ederson or Zubmiendi but neither will be cheap.

Hopefully the Monchi magic allows something like that. Failing that, we go raid PSG for a loan signing as they have about 6 DMs

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â