Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You’re not the only one, but where has this weird notion on VT come from that Illing Jr will play lb? He’s a very attack minded player, similar to Madueke. I think in his career he is possibly played LB less than 5 times and that was for England u21s. I’d be surprised if we are bringing him in for that role. I suspect Unai would like options, so can switch tactics around and attack the opposite side at times 

He's played as a wing back for Juve this season which is in effect how Villa use their LB in many games, so it's conceivable that he could be used in that way.

5 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

You’re not the only one, but where has this weird notion on VT come from that Illing Jr will play lb? He’s a very attack minded player, similar to Madueke. I think in his career he is possibly played LB less than 5 times and that was for England u21s. I’d be surprised if we are bringing him in for that role. I suspect Unai would like options, so can switch tactics around and attack the opposite side at times 

He started as a full back at Chelsea, Will on occasion play wing back for Juve, but with his pace he’s more of a traditional left midfielder. If anything, he’d play in front of Maatsen. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, duke313 said:

These players have agents you know.  Do you think MckEnnie is on the phone with Monchi thrashing out a deal?

They could obviously do that, but I do wonder if these things normally stall due to PR. You can imagine fans blaming a player for being distracted if their signing was announced during a tournament after which they get swiftly knocked out. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

it's all about form and fighting for the shirt......I think guaranteed starters are few and far between now......Ollie and Emi are our only ones, now.

Surely MEATBALL is a guaranteed starter too?

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Surely MEATBALL is a guaranteed starter too?

Not sure why they call him meatball. Surely he should be (can't tell whether this looks beautiful or obscene or both) ...

spacer.png

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Not sure why they call him meatball. Surely he should be (can't tell whether this looks beautiful or obscene or both) ...

spacer.png

Would you settle for obscenely beautiful, I genuinely love haggis!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Ah good point then scrap that as I know eff all  

And you’re telling me we can sign chiesa 😆

2 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

One Can Dream GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

spacer.png

Hmm… could we sell both Digne and Moreno and replace them with Maatsen (our new starter) and Iling Jr (attacking LB)?

McKennie to replace Cash as a RB option? Didn’t he play DM for Schalke?

Versatile players that can plug any gaps and fill out the squad.

As we go further into the window (and generate some decent funds) we then make some “big” signings or proper injections of quality and potential upgrades in certain/key positions… maybe the likes of Fofana and Baena. Long way to go…

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Hmm… could we sell both Digne and Moreno and replace them with Maatsen (our new starter) and Iling Jr (attacking LB)?

McKennie to replace Cash as a RB option? Didn’t he play DM for Schalke?

Versatile players that can plug any gaps and fill out the squad.

As we go further into the window (and generate some decent funds) we then make some “big” signings or proper injections of quality and potential upgrades in certain/key positions… maybe the likes of Fofana and Baena. Long way to go…

is Illing Jr actually a LB?, he strikes me as more of a rogers type player than a LB.

I know he may have played LB in his youth, but now?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

is Illing Jr actually a LB?, he strikes me as more of a rogers type player than a LB.

I know he may have played LB in his youth, but now?

Not really, more of a LM or LWB, but he could play as our attacking LB. Or even be converted to one by Unai.

Arguably, Moreno was brought in to do that sort of role or be the same kind of player, help with attacking more than defending, while the rest of the defence were more focussed on keeping us solid. He made us a much better and more dangerous team (while linking up with JJ) but injury put paid to that for the most part…

There must be specific reasons why Monchi and Unai have either wanted or agreed to having these players and a clear idea as to where and how they will play.

I’m looking at them more as squad or utility players to help us out, be very surprised if they would be starters.

We have the numbers at LM or LW… and I personally don’t see the point of adding another youngster to that position, we could actually bring in a top class player there to help us in CL and stay competitive in the league…

But what the hell do I know? 😆

I’ve accepted it, but I don’t like it… I still feel the deal for Dougie has been done on the cheap and I’m not sure just how much Unai desires or rates these players… but there is always a plan.

I do envisage much better signings to come later. And a proper/actual replacement for Dougie and what he gives us… our orchestrator. Would obviously prefer if he stayed but flipping PSR… and the deal seems pretty much done.

Has been immense and integral for the vast, vast majority of the time he has played under Unai… a few poor performances (while taking into account just how much he’s played, covering for Bouba’s absence, fatigue) shouldn’t allow us to forget and not appreciate that… oh well. 

Much more onboard with selling Cash and Duran (for what sound like decent fees for now)… and we have a few others to move on aswell… but, not a lot of time to overcome that financial hurdle/obstacle…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

Would you settle for obscenely beautiful, I genuinely love haggis!!

Yeah me too. I'm about as Scottish as Ghengis Khan, but I love Haggis, and Irn Bru. Seriously I am obsessed with Irn Bru.

• Like 1

Weirdly, or perhaps not weirdly, I see a lot of Everton fans that don't rate Onana, he seems fine whenever I've seen him play, but not sure he's £50m player and am surprised Arsenal are interested. I doubt we are, if McKennie is happening, and Romano said yesterday that Gallagher is one to watch in the coming months, so I'm not even sure if that's completely ruled out yet

Â