Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Starting to feel we have a few positions that we need to buy for and I was hoping to only add a few quality options this summer.  Looks like we need a new RB, CB, LB, Left sided Midfield, Luiz replacement, DM, a back up striker to name just a few. Not good having so many changes in one go.

On 13/06/2024 at 12:40, JPAngel said:

(Playing devil's advocate)

How would you describe a centre back who is weak in one-on-one situations, almost entirely one-footed, slow, below average in the air, and somewhat ungainly?

Limited, right?

In that case, you could argue Pau Torres is very limited. Despite that, he's become one of the first names on our team sheet because his strengths far outweigh his weaknesses.

We are not a team that can buy complete players. This is where we have to be smart with our recruitment strategy in purchasing players that elite clubs overlook for their perceived weaknesses despite major upsides.

In my opinion, you're undervaluing Buendia in a big way by focusing on what he isn't good at. I really hope he proves you wrong - and I'm sure you'd gladly admit you're wrong about him if he does.

You make some good points.....but I don't see team building, as just getting a bunch of great passers of the ball, and technically brilliant as some fans do.....they are important aspects of the game, sure,  but it doesn't end there.

I see 10 outfield pegs on a board....and a bunch of critical attributes, required to create a balanced team.....I then deploy players to fit those pegs, and this then gives THE TEAM the necessary minerals to face many eventualities. I then find players to match those attributes, through the squad of 25, ensuring, we have adequate cover.

As you say, it's very hard to get complete players, and actually very few are, but the best players have a number of attributes, that are excellent ( probably more than most) but they rely on the blending of the other players, by the manager.....and the better the manager, the better the blending.

as an example....Whisky is much the same, all the Barrels have varying attributes, and it's the blender, that formulates the final outcome.

Unai, will identify our weaknesses, during the season, and parts of that season, will vary accordingly......He will then go about, finding attributes to plug the holes, and give the team more balance, I believe, we have just the man to do it.

It's not always looking at the outgoing player in isolation, and feeling we are bringing in worse.....it's all about that balance.....That's what strengthening really is.

If we were talking, pure skill, guile and technical ability ALONE, Coutinho, would not be dispensed with.....while all those skills are massively important, the game is about much more than that, too.

The Juve deal, makes sense to me....as much as I feel the rules are pants.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Starting to feel we have a few positions that we need to buy for and I was hoping to only add a few quality options this summer.  Looks like we need a new RB, CB, LB, Left sided Midfield, Luiz replacement, DM, a back up striker to name just a few. Not good having so many changes in one go.

I was going into next season thinking it will be supremely difficult. Clubs new to the CL usually struggle both in the CL and in the league. Having to rebuild the squad and depending on what players we bring in in midfield possibly change the way we play makes it even more so. Complete faith in Emery to get the best out of whatever squad we have but it would have been great if we could have kept Luiz, had Kamara injury free and just added quality.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Amazed people thinking he's overpriced at 30-35m.

He did brilliantly at Burnley. O.k that's not the prem but still shining at a decent level. Then moves mid season to Dortmund and does brilliantly for them and they are certainly top level.

Received a late call up for the Netherlands.

He keeps up this level and he'll be a 60-70m fb in two years so that's where it would be a smart deal to pursue if he's interested. I imagine his preference is still to go to Dortmund full time but they probably don't have the finances to sign him and Sancho in the same summer so that's the sticking point.

Chelsea were happy to loan him out and play the hopeless Cucurella

So if we do the rumoured swap deals for Doug and Dhuran.

Say essentially sorting our Fullback/ Wing Back and current PSR issues. ( Maatsen, Chalobah ? )

Iling/McKennie?

Along with moving deadwood and other surplus high earners.

Wonder rid this then gives us very healthy coffers to do a couple big deals in Julyy?

Fofana ( Midfield example ), forwards and so on?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Injuries aside, I think we could be looking at a template of this for next season:

---------------------------------Watkins------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------New/Rogers--------------------------
Ramsey-----------New---------------Kamara--------------McGinn
New---------------Torres---------------New------------------Konsa
--------------------------------Martinez------------------------------------

No Diaby or Bailey is utter madness - and, for that reason, I'm out!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So if we do the rumoured swap deals for Doug and Dhuran.

Say essentially sorting our Fullback/ Wing Back issues. ( Maatsen, Chalobah ? )

Iling/McKennie?

Along with moving deadwood and other surplus high earners.

Wonder rid this then gives us very healthy coffers to do a couple big deals in January?

Fofana ( Midfield example ), forwards and so on?

What about this summer, if our summer is only iling Jnr, McKennie, Maatsen and Chalobah while Dougie and Duran go out then that’s a poor poor summer imo.  We’ve gone backwards….On top of that we know January windows are generally low key.

Edited by nick76

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Injuries aside, I think we could be looking at a template of this for next season:

--------------------------------------------New/Rogers--------------------------

Bench/Squad:
Bailey
Mings
Iling Junior
McKennie
Nedelkovic
Olsen
Tielemans
Buendia
New CB

I think we're in the 'padding out the squad mode' at the moment but we'll likely go after some top quality starter material when July 1st comes around. £££
Many will disagree with the exclusion of Tielemans and Bailey. Can easily see them both starting in a best XI too. 

We're going to have some serious depth next season. I still think we're going to see a big overhaul this Summer with Cash, Carlos, Digne, Moreno, Duran, Luiz, Dendoncker, Sanson, Coutinho, Chambers, KKH and Iroegbunam leaving. I imagine Sousa will go back out on loan. That's potentially up to £800k of wages a week off the books. 

I feel we're going to really roll the dice. 

Add Barkley and Diaby to the bench options but I mostly agree. Kamara obviously out until November at least so need a replacement for him.

I count 8, maybe 9 or 10 new players coming in. We should almost almost certainly have a better squad with a lot more credible options but how quickly they take to gel and whether we actually get quality replacements for the likes of Luiz will define how the season goes. 

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

What about this summer, if our summer is only iling Jnr, McKennie, Maatsen and Chalobah while Dougie and Duran go out then that’s a poor poor summer imo.  We’ve gone backwards….On top of that we know January windows are generally low key.

I have no idea how my keyboard autocorrect wrote January mate.

I've been having issues with this phone.

I meant JULY FFS!!!

Not January. Now corrected.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bench/Squad:
Bailey
Mings
Iling Junior
McKennie
Nedelkovic
Olsen
Tielemans
Buendia
New CB

I think we're in the 'padding out the squad mode' at the moment but we'll likely go after some top quality starter material when July 1st comes around. £££
Many will disagree with the exclusion of Tielemans and Bailey. Can easily see them both starting in a best XI too. 

We're going to have some serious depth next season. I still think we're going to see a big overhaul this Summer with Cash, Carlos, Digne, Moreno, Duran, Luiz, Dendoncker, Sanson, Coutinho, Chambers, KKH and Iroegbunam leaving. I imagine Sousa will go back out on loan. That's potentially up to £800k of wages a week off the books. 

I feel we're going to really roll the dice. 

Bailey is in the first XI

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have no idea how my keyboard wrote January mate.

I've been having issues with this phone.

I meant JULY FFS!!!

👍

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I might be wrong Nick, but I have a hunch, Unai feels we already have players, who can cover Dougies work.....and that the new incoming players, will be more aligned to his idea of our weaknesses.

26 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Bailey is in the first XI

but is there a first 11? in who's eyes?

There will be many factors that determine, who the team on the day will be.

We are a squad, now.......and last season, reminded us of that.

Edited by TRO

Just now, TRO said:

but is there a fist 11? in who's eyes?

There will be many factors that determine, who the team on the day will be.

We are a squad, now.......and last season, reminded us of that.

I get that, but Bailey is amongst our very best. He’s in the starting XI unless he’s injured or in need of a rest. Same as Watkins, Martinez, Pau.

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I get that, but Bailey is amongst our very best. He’s in the starting XI unless he’s injured or in need of a rest. Same as Watkins, Martinez, Pau.

I would agree, but some will have varying opinions......and we all know, only one opinion counts.

Â