Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

8 hours ago, paul514 said:

Interesting.

i don’t know if that means it’s 33 a year or 100 in one go. 

anyone know? Would make a big difference to us

I think it was something in the region of half upfront and the rest split over the next 2 summer windows.

Jokes aside, this Luiz / Mckennie stuff makes me a little nervous. 

If we’re going to sell Luiz, we need to go out and pick someone with a similar skillset to replace him. Mckennie is not that player. 

If it does goes through, this is one of those transfers that will really put the ‘If Emery wants him, that’s fine by me’ mantra seen so often on here to the test. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, david-avfc said:

He has apparently been utilised as a wing back this season as Juve mostly play a 3-5-2 system,  he only started 4 games this season (is it this season or last season now???) so would be a bit of a gamble if we signed as a full back on that amount of evidence... As a winger I read a couple of older reports on him which all described him as an old fashioned winger who wants to get to the byline and cross it in, so I can see why he'd be used a wingback rather than a genuine forward as I'm not sure there are many teams who play that way any more. If he's a winger I'm not sure how well he'd fit, if he's brought in as a full back I'm not sure he is experienced enough. I can't believe I'm saying this but I hope we sell Luiz to Arsenal... at least they will stump up the cash rather than us picking up the scraps in part exchange

Lots of Premier League clubs are linked with him. We were linked in January. He's a very promising young English player, has played left wing back this season for Juve and played left back for England U21. Given how we utilise our Left Back as a wide forward he fits the bill. He's exactly the type of player we should be signing, young (he's 20 years old) and has a very high ceiling.

Think about things this way. Say we sold Luiz and had the cash now. We should be after Illing Junior. Havng Moreno and Cash with young players like Illing Junior and Nedeljkovic who are athletes and there to be coached and improved by the club. It would be exciting. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

If we’re going to sell Luiz, we need to go out and pick someone with a similar skillset to replace him. Mckennie is not that player. 

If it does goes through, this is one of those transfers that will really put the ‘If Emery wants him, that’s fine by me’ mantra seen so often on here to the test. 

McKennie is not a replacement for Luiz. I'm sure Emery see's Tielemans and Barkley as the two suited to the Luiz role in the CM. McKennie would be more like a McGinn type better suited as a RM/LM who comes in to form the box but very capable of playing in CM. Emery wants and likes the versatile players in that midfield. 

We have been linked to McKennie and Illing Junior in previous windows. So it does feel like they are players Emery / Monchi are interested in. People should just look at the individual players on their own merits. McKennie has just had his best ever season and looks for the world and a day a player who would excel under the level of detail Emery would provide.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

McKennie is not a replacement for Luiz. I'm sure Emery see's Tielemans and Barkley as the two suited to the Luiz role in the CM. McKennie would be more like a McGinn type better suited as a RM/LM who comes in to form the box but very capable of playing in CM. Emery wants and likes the versatile players in that midfield. 

We have been linked to McKennie and Illing Junior in previous windows. So it does feel like they are players Emery / Monchi are interested in. People should just look at the individual players on their own merits. McKennie has just had his best ever season and looks for the world and a day a player who would excel under the level of detail Emery would provide.

I appreciate your positive spin. 

It’s still not a deal I like the look of on the surface, but were we to go out and sign a solid defensive minded technical midfielder alongside this deal, I’d be much more comfortable. 

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 1

I’m not overly enamoured the idea of this deal but I’m also not judging McKennie by a loan spell at Leeds when they were shocking. I’m sure Unai can get a very good tune out of him. Americans love McKennie (I think) so hopefully he has a lot to offer, and has also just had a cracking season at Juve. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I appreciate your positive spin. 

It’s still not a deal I like the look of on the surface, but were we to go out and sign a solid defensive minded technical midfielders alongside this deal, I’d be much more comfortable. 

I think Emery wants more rounded players in CM. I think our failure to play pressing football at the beginning of last season was down to not having the players to do it. Kamara was the prime example against Liverpool pressing high up the pitch. He is not a player for that, when we tactically switched and he dropped deeper from CM rather than pressing forward our form turned around. Kamara is a tool in the toolbox and is superb at what he does. I do feel Emery has in his head a JJ, Tielemans, McKennie, McGinn, Gallagher, Watkins - a team full of power and workrate who can execute the high press tactic when we need it. Remember our best performance was against City where we executed an incredible pressing game and turned over balls high up. That in Emery's head is a tactic he wants to be able to employ more. 

Let's be honest, Luiz isn't great defensively and he excelled when he had Kamara covering. I think we will see two more rounded CMs who can excel at both in there next season. 

Finally, the fact that everywhere keeps reporting Emery is a big fan of Barkley and is the one pushing for his signing. I literally couldn't trust a persons opinion more than Emery. Moreno, Rogers, Tielemans and now Barkley are only ones where I remember this being a big push from Emery. All excellent excellent signings and not expensive ones. 

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Replacing Luiz with Barkley, McKennie, Illing and Gallagher isn't the worst idea in the world. If that is the idea. 

Still leaves us having to find a player to replace Kamara for half the season thou.

• Like 2

If we're going to lose Luiz, I'd rather get a little less for him and have him go to Serie A than have him go to a PL rival.   Let's hope it's all BS, though.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, sne said:

Still leaves us having to find a player to replace Kamara for half the season thou.

It doesn't. Luiz + McGinn doesn't work as a CM pairing. But Barkley + Gallagher for example does. The latter two are better defensively so as a pair it works. 

Of our existing 4 CMs in order of defensive qualities they are 1) Kamara, 2) Tielemans, 3) Luiz, 4) McGinn. The last two are about the same tbh. 

We won't be after a profile of player the same as Kamara because Emery wants more rounded CMs who are good at both sides of the game. Gallagher and McKennie are those types of players.

Just now, CVByrne said:

It doesn't. Luiz + McGinn doesn't work as a CM pairing. But Barkley + Gallagher for example does. The latter two are better defensively so as a pair it works. 

Of our existing 4 CMs in order of defensive qualities they are 1) Kamara, 2) Tielemans, 3) Luiz, 4) McGinn. The last two are about the same tbh. 

We won't be after a profile of player the same as Kamara because Emery wants more rounded CMs who are good at both sides of the game. Gallagher and McKennie are those types of players.

Strongly doubt that. Honestly don't agree with a single thing in that post. Especially Barkley remains to be seen, he might very well have had a Lingard at West Ham season. 

And before we get a "I trust Emery" reply. I do too. I don't however trust Barkley, McKennie or that Iling-Junior can play LB at PL level

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Lots of Premier League clubs are linked with him. We were linked in January. He's a very promising young English player, has played left wing back this season for Juve and played left back for England U21. Given how we utilise our Left Back as a wide forward he fits the bill. He's exactly the type of player we should be signing, young (he's 20 years old) and has a very high ceiling.

Think about things this way. Say we sold Luiz and had the cash now. We should be after Illing Junior. Havng Moreno and Cash with young players like Illing Junior and Nedeljkovic who are athletes and there to be coached and improved by the club. It would be exciting. 

No he hasn’t. Iling Junior is a left midfielder or winger. He’s played those positions for Juve or their youth team 95% of the time, otherwise he’s played on the opposite wing or on occasion in central midfield. He’s played LB a handful of times for England U21. He’s not a full back. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Strongly doubt that. Honestly don't agree with a single thing in that post. Especially Barkley remains to be seen, he might very well have had a Lingard at West Ham season. 

And before we get a "I trust Emery" reply. I do too. I don't however trust Barkley, McKennie or that Iling-Junior can play LB at PL level

That's your opinion. I am confident Emery is changing how we play again as it's adapt or die in PL and teams have figured out 23/24 Aston Villa. 

Issues I've got with Luiz is he's not great defensively, he's not very big, physical and mobile and his success lies with his attacking / creative aspects but it excels when paired with a Kamara who will cover the defensive aspects and not contribute with the attacking ones. I feel this type of combination works when it's the right combination.

A Tielemans and Gallagher for me also works because they're both better defensively than Luiz and both better attacking than Kamara, so the balance works it's spreading the load.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

They don't have to be like for like. We need another DM anyway, as losing Kamara showed. 

The midfield unit as a whole can evolve over the summer if this happens.

Â