Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

6 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's all in the FFP thread but we did make a profit in 2022.  Then we made a stonking great loss and this year none of us are really sure if we need to sell a player or not by the deadline.  I think that's right anyway.

I still don't think there's really a deal to be done with Juve for Doug.  They haven't got the cash and probably won't pay him much more in wages, he loves it here, his missus is here and we are in the Champions League.  We'd be better selling Cash and Duran for smaller amounts and sell Bodymoor Heath imo.

Yeah I don’t see any deal can be made with Juve for Doug. Everything that’s coming out just wiffs of BS

and you’re probably right about selling cash, Duran and BMH to get us inline. However. Can BMH be priced up and sold in the remaining time? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I don’t think the club has officially had a profitable year in a long time. 

technically, I’d say the year we sold Jack was an on the books profitable year. 

Yeah, but thats like a normal business, selling an asset, like a bit of land and making a profit....it's unsustainable.....They have to make a profit, off their day to day business, to be sustainable.....jack was a one off.

I do actually think the MO of Unai and Monchi is right in the transfer business, we are not ready for the £50 mill transfers....and that's why Diaby, surprised me.

Such is the way contracts, are allowed to run down.....We have already proved to be savvy, in that area, and I think we will continue to be.

I am all for, modest fee's......but that has to be tempered, with getting the right positional players.

It's not good just signing someone, because they are cheap or Free...They have to fit right, in the team, and be someone that the team needs.

It tickles me, of how many players we are linked with, and positionally, we don't need.....These media idiots are very ill-informed as to what we need, to make their click bait feasible.

Monchi has a good reputation for Value-for-money

Edited by TRO

Posted (edited)

Been doing more reading on McKennie and seems he has had a very good season at Juve. I look at his stats more and think he's similar to McGinn except he seems better defensively and likes to carry the ball more than make progressive passes. 

McKennie has been thriving as an all-action No 8 in a box-to-box role. But in this role it’s particularly his creativity which has shone. With a good weight of pass, McKennie offers a lot of verticality into the Juventus midfield.

He has a variety of different types of passes: through balls in the final third, passes over the top of the defence from deep, crosses from the half space, whipped crosses from out on the wings. This passing range has really suited him playing with a target man outlet who runs in behind and is good aerially. Juventus have profiles that fit this.

Polish striker Arkadiusz Milik is a target man who’s aerially strong, Turkish striker Kenan Yildiz loves to run in behind and Serbian striker Dusan Vlahovic fits both categories. Vlahovic runs in behind constantly to be a pass option for a through ball or pass over the top. When Vlahovic has his back to goal, he loves to receive the ball then turn and shoot and gets on the end of crosses.

McKennie’s assists this season actually further highlight what type of creator he is and who he links up with. This season the American midfielder has nine assists and seven of them have been in Serie A. Out of these, eight all come from the strikers mentioned – two for Milik, one for Yildiz and five for Vlahovic – showing how much McKennie suits playing with an all-rounder striker like Vlahovic who’s a multi-faceted threat.

With links to Manchester United, you could see him combining with Danish striker Rasmus Hojlund in a very similar manner. Profile-wise, Hojlund is very similar to Vlahovic. Both have a powerful left foot, both are 6’3”, very strong and physical target men who have good back-to-goal play, both love to run in behind and are quick for their size.

Weston McKennie: The rebirth of the Juventus star, why Man Utd now want to sign him and the truths around his Leeds struggles (teamtalk.com)

I can see him playing one of the LM/RM or s/s roles mostly. While like McGinn he can operate in CM. He seems to be a player who is thriving on creating chances for a top striker. Something that neatly fits with us. 

I am thinking Emery wants the 4 CMs in the team with one winger and one attacking fullback. I think we will add high pressing more into our game plan next season. So players like McKennie and Gallagher fit that perfectly.

McKennie has played all over the pitch during his career, as a No 6, No 8, No 10, winger, second striker, wide midfielder and a wing-back. The reason he’s been able to play all these roles to a good level is his physical attributes and understanding of the game. He is a ‘jack-of-all-trades’ type midfielder where he’s good at a bit of everything but not exceptional at anything in particular. This type of profile is very useful to have within the squad of a top team though as a rotational option.

This is best part. The utility player. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I wonder why a player who got injured a couple of times and is primarily a CAM/LM might struggle to find game time in a team with Son, Maddison, Kulusevski, Brennan Johnson and so forth.

And spurs often preferred to play 3 in the middle of the park when maddison was out. Using Bentancur at the base and the athleticism of Sarr and Bissouma further forward. 

Lo Celso scored 2 goals and got 2 assists in just 506 minutes. 

Saying he's unsuited for the premier league when he has a higher tackle success rate than any of our midfielders And attempted mroe of them. His only real weakness is lack of size in the air.

But if he can be had for less than 20 mil quid he'd be a fantastic signing. 

Make all the excuses you want, he isn’t good enough for us.

• Like 3

10 million for Lo Celso is worth the gamble for me. Very cheap for a potentially very good player. The McKennie deal could be quite positive too, he's decent enough and offers a lot of utility. Shame to lose Dougie but if it allows us to get McKennie, Lo Celso, Gallagher in it's worth it imo.

Signing those three and then a couple of defenders would leave us in very good standing depth-wise for another good season.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

McKennie did have a very good season, I had to watch a lot of their games. The in laws insist 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah and the article I liked seems very thorough. Says clubs in PL interested because they see a player under utilised by Juve who is best suited to slower build up from the back and pass the ball in a more structured way. Having read the article he seems like a player who would excel in our system and would love the detail from Emery. 

If Juve can't afford Dougie and to go for £60m and we buy McKennie for £15m meaning net profit of £45m on the deal. I'd take that. We need a big sale to just allow us the flexibility to upgrade the squad. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

McKennie did have a very good season, I had to watch a lot of their games. The in laws insist 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thats why its maybe a good idea, to just leave it to the experts, to rebuild our team.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

so why do they want him gone?

33 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Yeah I don’t see any deal can be made with Juve for Doug. Everything that’s coming out just wiffs of BS

and you’re probably right about selling cash, Duran and BMH to get us inline. However. Can BMH be priced up and sold in the remaining time? 

I don't think Juve have got any money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pez1974 said:

If we are prepared to accept €60m for Dougie, loads of clubs will be all over this.

IF (big IF) there is truth to the rumours, then I can only imagine this is us basically putting the FOR SALE sign out, and seeing if a bidding war ensues. 
I am sure Juve would still take €25m for McKennie is we sold Dougie elsewhere. 

i'd take mckennie as squad depth under favorable terms for villa, especially if it helps with our psr situation. 

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

If the latter, I'd suggest Dougie is worth more than 6 points to us next season of if Weston McKennie would be playing even a handful of games... and we should consider biting the bullet on the 6 point deduction

I would never advocate for taking points deductions. And I don't think our owners would either.

This season 6 points is the difference between Champions League and Conference for us. Emery would find a way to compensate for loosing Luiz, I don't think we did too badly in the games he didn't play in this season.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Based on what I'm reading, seems the likes of him and Chiesa only have a year left on their contracts.

Yes and new head coach so moving a couple of players on brings in funds for new signings. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Luiz talk around 2:13 mark.

Was interesting hearing about other Juve players etc though so may be worth an overall listen.

“Douglash Luiz”

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91pc87050t8q7xljz1qq

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Make all the excuses you want, he isn’t good enough for us.

I strongly disagree. If we are talking about making him a first choice player maybe. But he's a different profile to our other attacking players and shouldn't be that expensive. He's productive in his minutes, always shows for the ball, progresses the ball well through both passing and ball carrying, can beat press with his dribbling skills and can put a shift on defensively. 

Also emery knows him already/he knows emery's system so there should be minimal adjustment.

I'd prefer to spend money on him to someone like baena though I would prefer to sign someone younger and a little more dynamic in terms of beating players. 

Â