Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

MaVilla

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Dont attack me but present your points to prove otherwise BUT i dont have that much confidence in Monchi, lets bear in mind that 90% of the team that have got us to where we are now before he arrived, zaniolo and lenglet were questionable at the time of signing and certainly proved to be so once the season had concluded. I respect both players for trying and giving what they could to the team absolutely full credit for that and to be fair they were loans, even Rogers who is a good player of course far from the finished article wasnt perhaps someone I expected us to sign at the time, and yes we did make a top four finish and rogers did contribute to that but more importantly down to super emerys coaching/management. 

Rumours are not always true the Barkley one had my head spinning but if its a free and an extra player on low wages then it’s nowhere near as bad as first suspected so i can get on board, the other rumour is we may be signing a 33 yr old left back, im far from convinced and hope that is nothing but a rumour, we should not be signing anyone over 31 is my take.

Again unless confirmed officially i cant make judgment but if all is true, it just seems to have a pattern of Monchi all over it hes player search hasn’t given me much if any optimism and all in all it doesn’t seem like he wants or knows about the foreign high talent emerging market, its hard to explain in a way but im not hearing those names that certainly would make us a much stronger force.

@Daulmakan @burchy Boys your now in charge but please be mindful of FFP/PSR 😊

@TRO thoughts 

I think it’s a bit early with this mate.  We signed Rogers, Gauci and Ned the right back who are all young brought in Jan.  This is his first full summer imo because he was very new to the party the early part of the last summer window, so now he’s settled let’s see what he can do before we discuss the above view.  He maybe crap, or maybe great but Emery trusts him and they’ve had great success together and all I here is great things about Monchi from before he came here.

• Like 1

It's a weird one with Ndidi, a few seasons ago he was being raved about and seemed one of the most sought-after in Europe in his position, and despite that feeling like an age has passed he's still only 27. That Leicester team did just go stale and as we've seen with Tielemans and Maddison it doesn't necessarily define some of those players. He's also - albeit in the Championship - put together some good creative numbers for the season and has shown more versatility to his game.

There's definitely enough upside to him for me to take the glass half full approach if Villa signed him, particularly on a free. The injuries are the main red flag to me though. As much as on the football side of things we can trust in the coaching staff to hypothetically get the most out of him, he's missed something like 60 games through injury across a few seasons in recent years. Bit of an additional risk getting in someone so injury prone to cover someone who is currently recovering from a significant layoff.

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Indigo said:

It's a weird one with Ndidi, a few seasons ago he was being raved about and seemed one of the most sought-after in Europe in his position, and despite that feeling like an age has passed he's still only 27. That Leicester team did just go stale and as we've seen with Tielemans and Maddison it doesn't necessarily define some of those players. He's also - albeit in the Championship - put together some good creative numbers for the season and has shown more versatility to his game.

There's definitely enough upside to him for me to take the glass half full approach if Villa signed him, particularly on a free. The injuries are the main red flag to me though. As much as on the football side of things we can trust in the coaching staff to hypothetically get the most out of him, he's missed something like 60 games through injury across a few seasons in recent years. Bit of an additional risk getting in someone so injury prone to cover someone who is currently recovering from a significant layoff.

to be honest, Ndidi was part of the same merry go round that many players in the PL have been on, in the sense that he was part of a team that was doing well, and the media completely overhype a player to the point he is being touted as a 40/50/60m+ player, then all the brain dead pundits get on the bandwagon and you have all this completely fabricated hype around a player.

Ndidi had this in abundance, he never was the player he was hyped up to be.

Not saying he isnt a decent mid table PL DM, but he was never, ever the elite DM that he was touted to be in his early time at Leicester.

The only thing that didnt happen to Ndidi, was Manure spunking out 60m on him because he was the next big PL player according to the media and pundits, to end up being part of their squad, not playing regularly, on 200k p/w, waiting for his contract to expire because Manure cant offload him.

I guess Ndidi didnt have enough Instagram followers for manure, as that seems to be the criteria for the players they sign these days.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, useless said:

If we sign Ndidi it won't be to be another Dendoncker, he will be used much more, Emery isn't interested in squad players or squad fillers, he wants new signings to be good enough to challenge for a place in the first eleven and for it to so that when they come into the team there isn't a massive drop off in quality

On face of It Ndidi maybe not be an excting signing because last time he was in the Premier Leage he didn't have a great season, but indeed nor did any of that Leicester team including Tielemans, Leicester fans even bemoaned Maddison for going missing in the crunch games - after brill start maybe did so at Spurs too, but other than that one season Ndidi has consistently been one of Leicester's better players and linked to top clubs, a couple of seasons ago would have been out of our reach

Also this season he's been playing as a box-to-box midfielder, and has been one of Leicester's better players, so he could be an option for that role for us too

I actually think Ndidi is a decent player, but injuries are the problem with him. He simply cannot be relied on.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

That quote makes it seem like he was actually being quite positive and balanced on the situation?

Correct. Still doesn't mean he's right even if it may be positive though.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Graeme Bailey.. The end.

This aside, I wonder if high quality loans, and frees will be a part of our plans to temporarily Offset PSR whilst getting top both players in this summer?

Whilst making say one big purchase of a player we see as integral to long term future?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

17 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Only way this happens is with a loan, as PSG are reluctant to sell. 

They’re looking to loan him out again according to other more reliable reports and playing in the premier league is the logical progression for him to co time his development. Joining us he’d play most weeks if deserved so wouldn’t discount us if we are interested. 

3 hours ago, RicRic said:

Dont attack me but present your points to prove otherwise BUT i dont have that much confidence in Monchi, lets bear in mind that 90% of the team that have got us to where we are now before he arrived, zaniolo and lenglet were questionable at the time of signing and certainly proved to be so once the season had concluded. I respect both players for trying and giving what they could to the team absolutely full credit for that and to be fair they were loans, even Rogers who is a good player of course far from the finished article wasnt perhaps someone I expected us to sign at the time, and yes we did make a top four finish and rogers did contribute to that but more importantly down to super emerys coaching/management. 

Rumours are not always true the Barkley one had my head spinning but if its a free and an extra player on low wages then it’s nowhere near as bad as first suspected so i can get on board, the other rumour is we may be signing a 33 yr old left back, im far from convinced and hope that is nothing but a rumour, we should not be signing anyone over 31 is my take.

Again unless confirmed officially i cant make judgment but if all is true, it just seems to have a pattern of Monchi all over it hes player search hasn’t given me much if any optimism and all in all it doesn’t seem like he wants or knows about the foreign high talent emerging market, its hard to explain in a way but im not hearing those names that certainly would make us a much stronger force.

@Daulmakan @burchy Boys your now in charge but please be mindful of FFP/PSR 😊

@TRO thoughts 

Not trying to be patronising but this reminded me of Superbad... Bit like McLovin you have to dare to be different at times, think outside the box and I genuinely get your point 👍  I just think the opinion on Monchi can't be made yet until we see more from him.

Whether it be Paul Mitchell, Sven Muslintat or even Monchi (was hated at Roma), these "transfer gurus" who have success at one or two clubs, always inevitably have times where they struggle because its really hard to continually predict how players will turn out or perform in different leagues/teams/systems. It's also why teams like Southampton who relied on finding young gems, eventually stopped finding VVD & Mane's and got Che Adams instead 🤣

There's no guarantee of success with our transfers but I think Monchi knowing exactly what Unai likes/wants and all members of the staff being aligned gives us the best chance to find more good buys than bad. Let's see how he does come the end of January where we'll have seen the performances of his summer signings

Hopefully it doesn't end like this for us...

spacer.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Should he really be sharing or revealing that information?

I know for a personal fact that Dan is extremely careful with what he shares and what he does not. He’s a total professional and he would only share that if it was more or less a done thing or something with very little risk attached for Villa. 

I can personally vouch that he has sat on very sensitive information that he could have broken for personal gain but decided not to because ultimately it would have hurt Villa. 

5 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

It has 0 chances of getting approved. It's pretty much only us and Chelsea who are for it.

We might get support of few other teams, but you need 14 to approve. Not happening.

Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Nottingham Forest, Leicester, Newcastle are 7 definite yes votes.    After that it gets tricky i guess.

3 hours ago, Philosopher said:

Also we need to sort out the defense first and foremost. 61 goals in 38 games is unacceptable. A good figure here should be less than 1 goal a game, so under 38 goals conceded. 

Do you expect us to challenge for the title? Because that's the sort of numbers you're saying we should achieve. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, DakotaVilla said:

We’re not going to find a better 6 than Kamara and he’s not going to play on the bench when he’s back so not sure we’re going to do better than Ndidi as cover. Or is it worth spending 25/30m for a potential challenger to Kamara and do we even have the PSR room to do that? 

That's silly. We have a minimum of 48 games next season. We could realistically be looking at 56-60 again. Just by reaching ro16 of champions league and making it through a few rounds of the domestic cups. Kamara will be missing probably the first 20 games of our season. And can't start the remaining 40 games either.

We need a real quality rotation option to play there. Ideally one who could also play next to and complement Kamara if need be too. 

Signing a new CDM is by far our most important task this summer. Even signing a RB is less important because at least we have 2 players who can cover it right now. CDM we have zero players who we can be comfortable with to start the year and even when Kamara is back in close to half of the remaining games he's not going to be playing. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Jas10 said:

We must sign a DM… players having to fill in has limited their games too. All of our CMs are vastly better and more effective when they don’t have to fill in at that DM or defensive CM position… Bouba allowed others (esp Luiz) to thrive… we have definitely missed him.

Got to get someone in, he won’t be back and in his groove for a while. This season is going to be even harder unless we strengthen both the team and the squad… ECL was a struggle but now we’re in the Champions League!

Players like Ndidi are unlikely to cut it either unless Unai works his magic… got to be excellent on the ball and in the pass. Last thing we need is another Dendoncker.

A better squad means we won’t have to stick square pegs in round holes and everyone can perform to somewhere approaching their best… we are making a big step up this season and need the squad for it. Getting rid of those below the standard/level required is imperative… then we bring in better.

The most important part of a new CDM isn't just that they will improve our solidity it is that they will allow Luiz, Mcginn and Tielemans to play further forward and improve our attack as well (which also improves our defence as they are better defenders than their replacements for the position. Luiz is babetter defender as the B2B than Tielemans/Mcginn, Mcginn is better defensive LM/RM than Rogers, Diaby, Tielemans is a better defensive 10 than whoever we play there etc.) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We all say we need to sign a DM when really we need one of our best players back fit. We all know how good Kamara is without even needing the data. We shouldn't just make a rash signing because he's out for half of next season. 

I would prefer a Loan to fill the position or if Emery can plan a tactical approach to mitigate. I'd rather Emery sign the players he wants in the squad and how we balance injuries with the squad. 

That again is so silly. We got into the mess in the first place because we had no one to rotate with Kamara. He was on course to play over 4000 minutes like Luiz, Mcginn, Watkins and Konsa were this season and we saw how their form dropped off towards the end. 

We will play a similar number of games this season and Kamara needs a real rotation. Plus having a second DM means we can have both Kamara and him on the field to see out games we are winning in and either of them can be more intense in games knowing that there is an appropriate sub waiting to come on at 60. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Only way this happens is with a loan, as PSG are reluctant to sell. 

Yeah but simons doesn't want to play for them either. He is a genuinely word class attacking player but he's also a midget. Would also be like 65 mil at minimum as he's being linked with all the top teams.