Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Our terrible wage to turnover is due to European bonuses without Europe. It will have been a lot more sustainable for this season and even more for next year with UCL money. Plus clearing out deadwood like Coutinho, Sanson, Olsen, Chambers, Dendoncker, Hause will save us at least 20 mil in salary.

Plus you can always choose not to amortise a transfer fee if you do not want to. It's almost always advantageous to do it. But you could say spend like a 25 mil transfer and just keep it for this season expenses which would be covered by our foray into the UCL. 

What do you mean by “European bonuses without Europe”?

22 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I personally think  all this  talk of PSR and having to sell is because  of some old opinion piece rent a quote Kieran Maguire did for football insider which is just being used as regurgitated clickbait.

it’s being rehashed now for clicks to drive add revenues.  

Also who the **** really cares, we’ve a system and structure in place nowadays of elite experts who should be trusted. If selling an asset strengthens us then do it - only player unsellable for me is Martinez - the rest can be replaced 

We made losses but still within the rules. I just NSWE know more than clickbait journos about working within the rules of PSR. The rest is just noise. Like it was in January and every window. Sales will always happen, but it doesn’t mean we’d sell the likes of JJ for as little as £50m. They don’t know. 

Are huge fees even going to be in fashion this window? The jan window was the lowest in a very long time across the league. Give us another 2 Torres level player near the £30 mill mark and offload a few and we're immediately improved and almost breaking even.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

well, for a club actually in the top 4, or even aspirations for top 4 or 6, our "transfer record" is actually almost comical.

I would be surprised if we didnt break it this summer.

I would be surprised. We aren't desperate for a massive upgrade in any position. And there isn't really a position where even spending 50 mil would get us an upgrade aside from the full back positions and DM (and that would only be an upgrade until Kamara is back or he if he comes back worse).

And with full backs you can get plenty talented players for 20-30 mil. Hell even Frimpong is only 40 mil euros. 

I mean I'm not even really sure I can think of a player who we should be looking to sign that would break our record beyond maybe signing Nico Williams and even then that's very much a pipe dream and not in a position of need. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

What do you mean by “European bonuses without Europe”?

Our players would have received bonuses for qualifying for Europe. However we weren't in Europe that season so we didn't have the additional revenue to help offset the cost. Our wage bill increased by 60 mil last season. Probably 40 if that would have been European bonuses. 

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Are huge fees even going to be in fashion this window? The jan window was the lowest in a very long time across the league. Give us another 2 Torres level player near the £30 mill mark and offload a few and we're immediately improved and almost breaking even.

We’ve got one of the best negotiators in football in Monchi. I’m not worried about overpaying for talent - unless it’s someone Unai desperately wants. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alexvilla4 said:

In:

Maatsen

Foyth

Ugarte

Out:

Squad backup players plus Digne and Carlos 

That would be a bad window. We only gain one more player for depth essentially. When we saw how thin our squad was towards the end of this year. We need at least 2 extra real rotation players for next season. 

We just need to be smart this window. Let's not just spurge on big names on huge wages.

Its obvious the positions we need to address. A DM cover/competition for Kamara, a new RB (not that bothered if we keep Cash or not), if Digne leaves potentially a LB and an attacking CM as I don't want McGinn having to play 50+ games again.

Kamara not back until next year makes the DM position a huge priority. Hopefully Buendia returns in pre season as an attacking option #10. Not sure where that leaves Diaby though 🤔 

Mings will hopefully come back with Buendia to bolster our defensive options and give competition for Pau, Ezri and Carlos at CB.

I'm fine with our strikers. Ollie as #1, Duran developing nicely and the rest of the team chipping in when needed. We generally play with 1 up top anyway. We may add another if a good deal can be made for an up and coming talent.

Of the players we've been linked with id love Olise here but don't think that would happen due to wages. 

Soler I think is pretty much nailed on to arrive. Baena is another player I think we're seriously looking at and Veiga is never gonna happen, again because of wages.

9 hours ago, paul514 said:

These are the players I would sell/release in the summer all figures are in euros and from Transfermarkt.

The amortized value is what he costs us per year on the accounts and the book value is the total amount of amortization left until he he has a value of zero for FFP. This means for an FFP profit on a player he must be sold for more than his book value.

I also think it is worth mentioning how these values are worked out.... lets say we sign a player on a 5 year contract for 50m. After 3 years we sign him to a new 5 year contract this means for the first 3 years he is with us he amortizes at 10m per year making his book value 20m when he signs a 5 year extension to his contract.
He will then amortize at 4m per year for the next five years. I hope that is simple to understand.

Lenglet - End of loan

Zaniolo - End of loan

Chambers - 29 in the summer, 1 year left on his deal brought for 0m, 

House - 29 in the summer, 1 year left on his deal brought for 3.4m, I don't have exact FFP figures for him as I didn't know the length of his first contract with us but it will be a negligible amount of amortisation left

Carlos - 31 in the summer, 2 years left on his deal brought for 31m
He is amortizing at 7.75m per year and his book value in the summer will be 15.5m

Digne - 31in the summer, 2 years left on his deal, brought for 30m.
He is amortizing at 6.66m per year and has a book value of 13.33m

Cash - 27 in the summer, 3 years left on his deal, brought for 15.75m
He is amortizing at 1.58m per year and has a book value of 4.74m

Dendonker - 29 in the summer, 2 years left on his deal, brought for 15m
He is amortizing at 3.75m per year and has a book value of 7.5m

Sanson - 30 in the summer, 1 year left on his deal, brought for 15.8 million euros
He is amortizing at 3.95m per year as he only has one year left on his deal his book value is also 3.95m

Coutinho - 32 in the summer, 2 years left on his deal, brought for 20 million euros
He is amortizing at 5m per year and has a book value of 10m

The total amortization per year of all the players mentioned is 28.69m Euros which is 24.61m Pounds
The total book value of all the players mentioned is 55.02m Euros which is 47.19m Pounds

My aim will be to cut the fat off the squad and then trying to bring in a smaller amount higher quality players as a whole without breaking FFP restrictions and reducing the wage bill as PSR (profit and sustainability rules) means we have to bring our wage bill down to 70% of our revenue within a couple of years.

So in short IF you can sell/release all those players and receive 47.2m for them we don't make an FFP loss on their book value and we don't have to amortised 24.6m on next years accounts for owning them

So moving on to incomings.

The price tags for my suggestions are from media reported figures
The links are for their transfermarkt profile and their scouting report from FBREF for their data.

Jean-Clair Todibo, 24 - Centre back,  Nice, 35m

I want this player as he is a lot like Pau Torres and we have all seen how much we missed him whilst he was injured taking the ball out of defence and his skill with progressive passes. He will be genuine competition for Konsa and will probably win out in that race.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jean-clair-todibo/profil/spieler/605184
https://fbref.com/en/players/88f130ed/scout/365_m1/Jean-Clair-Todibo-Scouting-Report

Adrien Truffert, 22 - Left back, Rennes, 20m

I think this guy is already as good as what we already have but he has a high ceiling and time on his side to reach that potential. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/adrien-truffert/profil/spieler/654539
https://fbref.com/en/players/5d0e0a1f/scout/365_m1/Adrien-Truffert-Scouting-Report

Lutsharel Geertruida, 24 in the summer, Right back, can play centre back too, Feyenoord, 30m

Very good passer and more of a defensive right back, fairly tall for a full back these days too.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/lutsharel-geertruida/profil/spieler/420210

https://fbref.com/en/players/242e1043/scout/365_m2/Lutsharel-Geertruida-Scouting-Report#all_scout_summary

Mats Wieffer 24, - Defensive Midfield, Feyenoord, 25m

Stats are off the charts, nice and tall too for all you heighists out there.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/mats-wieffer/profil/spieler/415381
https://fbref.com/en/players/4876c9ab/scout/365_m2/Mats-Wieffer-Scouting-Report

Maxence Caqueret - Central Midfield but very similar to Luiz, 24, Lyon, 25m

Great in tight spaces again off the chart stats.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/maxence-caqueret/profil/spieler/395237

https://fbref.com/en/players/f81ef10d/scout/365_m1/Maxence-Caqueret-Scouting-Report

Jonathan David, 24 - Striker, Lille, 25m (1 year left on contract)

I picked him as he should be relatively straight forward for us to pick up, he would be good back up for Watkins but he would also be good to play with him in the central role we see Diaby played in sometimes. His record last year was excellent and his data for this year is very good. If he had more shooting opportunities then his numbers would be much higher. He is the second highest scorer in Ligue 1 and doesn't get many shooting opportunities because of the team he plays for, you will get a peek at him in our next conference league game.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jonathan-david/profil/spieler/533738
https://fbref.com/en/players/ce50fd99/scout/365_m1/Jonathan-David-Scouting-Report

So according to the figures I have used for purchasing these players that is 160m Pounds.

I can't know if we could get them to sign a 5 year or 4 year contract so I am going to list both and it would probably be somewhere in between.

So the 160m amortized over 5 years would be 32m per year or over 4 years it would be 40m

As the suggested sales/released are amortizing at 24.6m Pounds my suggestions increase amortization by 7.4m to 15.4m per year over what it is currently. I have been led to believe our three year FFP loss is 90m currently after all the deductions so with increased revenue and the wages of the departing players as far as I know that shopping list is affordable.

I think those players would effectively lock off all the positions throughout the team qnd It also brings down the age of the squad significantly, the players are signed for 'modest fees'  so we have better prospects of FFP profits moving forward with the squad

Solid list and business. Looks as though you haven’t got any key players leaving either (other than Digne who I like but who is getting old) and if your numbers add up and are realistic for us staying within the rules then it would be a very good window. I would prefer a more exciting attacking addition to Cacqueret myself, Williams or Baena, but the rest I agree with. I’m unsure why we haven’t shopped in the Dutch league more, some very good players there. Seen quite a bit of Geertruida and Wieffer and they fit the profile of player for Unai’s system, will try to watch them at the Euros too as I think they’ll be in the Dutch squad, although Wieffer is currently injured.

Our matchday squad for next season could look something like:

Martinez 

Geertruida Konsa Pau Moreno

Wieffer Luiz 

McGinn                      Tielemans

Bailey Watkins

Subs from: Gauci, Kosta, Todibo, Mings, Truffert, Kamara (when fit), Cacqueret, Rogers, Ramsey, Buendia, Diaby, David, Duran

Lots of options to rotate and keep the squad fresh. When Kamara is fit again he will start and Todibo could oust one of the defenders in time. Moreno is getting old and didn’t do well this season, I’m unsure if Truffert is good enough to replace him in 25-26 season or if we buy someone else. Only concern would be keeping everyone happy because there’s lots of competition (24 first team squad players there), but we need to add that level of depth to be successful next season and Kamara will miss several months. I think if we sign David we would loan Duran out for the season to get game time and I also think we could loan Kosta out too so that takes our numbers down to 21/22 first team players. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy said:

Solid list and business. Looks as though you haven’t got any key players leaving either (other than Digne who I like but who is getting old) and if your numbers add up and are realistic for us staying within the rules then it would be a very good window. I would prefer a more exciting attacking addition to Cacqueret myself, Williams or Baena, but the rest I agree with. I’m unsure why we haven’t shopped in the Dutch league more, some very good players there. Seen quite a bit of Geertruida and Wieffer and they fit the profile of player for Unai’s system, will try to watch them at the Euros too as I think they’ll be in the Dutch squad, although Wieffer is currently injured.

Our matchday squad for next season could look something like:

Martinez 

Geertruida Konsa Pau Moreno

Wieffer Luiz 

McGinn                      Tielemans

Bailey Watkins

Subs from: Gauci, Kosta, Todibo, Mings, Truffert, Kamara (when fit), Cacqueret, Rogers, Ramsey, Buendia, Diaby, David, Duran

Lots of options to rotate and keep the squad fresh. When Kamara is fit again he will start and Todibo could oust one of the defenders in time. Moreno is getting old and didn’t do well this season, I’m unsure if Truffert is good enough to replace him in 25-26 season or if we buy someone else. Only concern would be keeping everyone happy because there’s lots of competition (24 first team squad players there), but we need to add that level of depth to be successful next season and Kamara will miss several months. I think if we sign David we would loan Duran out for the season to get game time and I also think we could loan Kosta out too so that takes our numbers down to 21/22 first team players. 

I'd give Moreno another season, not only his injury that set him back but the injuries to Buendia and Ramsey as he linked up well with them on the left.  We could see an improvement from him next season with all of them fit.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

PSG paid €60m last summer for Ugarte. He’s not going anywhere south of that figure. It’s a non-starter. 

No idea what he's worth or if he's any good but I guess at a minimum they might accept the remaining €48m book value or £41m, which starts to sound more possible.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

No idea what he's worth or if he's any good but I guess at a minimum they might accept the remaining €48m book value or £41m, which starts to sound more possible.

Loan with option to buy would be my guess, if they are looking rid of him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'd give Moreno another season, not only his injury that set him back but the injuries to Buendia and Ramsey as he linked up well with them on the left.  We could see an improvement from him next season with all of them fit.

Yes give him one more season but he’ll be 32 at the end of next season so we will have to start thinking of younger options to replace him at some point. 

Ive a feeling we will take in a top DM on loan with option.  If doesn’t work out we have Kamara back in Dec/Jan to step in.  Also help us bring through young DM to

7 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Ive a feeling we will take in a top DM on loan with option.  If doesn’t work out we have Kamara back in Dec/Jan to step in.  Also help us bring through young DM to

I think that's silly we desperately need a second one so we can handle the fixture congestion even when Kamara is back. Having only 1 DM is part of why Kamara got hurt. 

9 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I think that's silly we desperately need a second one so we can handle the fixture congestion even when Kamara is back. Having only 1 DM is part of why Kamara got hurt. 

But we aren’t going to take in 2DMs right?  

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

But we aren’t going to take in 2DMs right?  

Depends how versatile they are. If you say like Wieffer and Youssouf Fofana I'd very comfortable with those 2 alongside luiz and Kamara. Because Fofana can play as a Box 2 box too (that's more his primary position he is just a capable DM and physical too) 

• Like 1

Weiffer does look good but I think he's injured and missing the Euros - may be wrong. Not sure if that helps us by scaring off teams and avoiding him being in the shop window. Good to have a few options as I think funds will be tight for multiple teams so there'll be a lot of competition for players in that mid range price bracket £15-40m

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

PSG paid €60m last summer for Ugarte. He’s not going anywhere south of that figure. It’s a non-starter. 

He’d go for less than that Steve, he’s rarely been used and obviously not in their plans atm. If he does indeed want to leave then we could arrange a loan to buy maybe. 

Â