Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Just now, pas5898 said:

The champions league is tough, because you can't rotate midweek and you can't rotate in the PL.

JJ is a very similar ball carrier to Rodgers. If we want to be a "big club" competing on both fronts we NEED both players. 

A fit and firing Ramsey rotating with Rodgers would be no downgrade in our Champions League season. It's a lot better than running Rodgers into the ground because the backup (Zaniolo this season) isn't good enough.

Exactly… we need a squad and quality options.

Plus, JJ is one of our few homegrown players and of a level/quality that can and will help us… I don’t believe he’s at all been displaced either… his spot is still there once he’s fit and free from injury issues and niggles… no one has taken his place or been up to it.

Think people need to calm down with the hype on Rogers too… aah dw, it’ll only take one bad game or injury for some to want to sell him!

Don’t give a shit what anyone says, JJ truly is and has been one our exceptional players… still so young with so much potential and so much more to contribute.

One of our own 🟣🔵

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

If we sell Ramsey we lose a club-home grown player from our already too small squad so I don’t get why selling him is seen as such a positive, it just permanently weakens our squad

The only reason to sell Ramsey is for FFP, and that's it.  There is no other reason.

Posted (edited)

I don't know where this selling Ramsey talk has come from. For me he would be up there with Marinez and Watkins as the last players we'd be willing to sell. Any fan thinking we should sell must have a short memory.

He is the best ball carrier we have. This season has been a write off due to injuries but last season in 22 games under Emery he scored 6 goals and had 6 assists. That left side where he combined with Moreno was our best attacking outlet and something we have missed this season.

He is still only 22, as already shown he can excel at this level and I am in no doubt, due to his attitude, will still improve and definitely go on to be a full international. I am also in no doubt that Emery will want to keep him.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I personally think  all this  talk of PSR and having to sell is because  of some old opinion piece rent a quote Kieran Maguire did for football insider which is just being used as regurgitated clickbait.

it’s being rehashed now for clicks to drive add revenues.  

Also who the **** really cares, we’ve a system and structure in place nowadays of elite experts who should be trusted. If selling an asset strengthens us then do it - only player unsellable for me is Martinez - the rest can be replaced 

Edited by thabucks

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Quick question.  Now that we're in CL, will be break or transfer record again this summer?

It’s possible… many seem to forget that the upfront fee for Diaby was around £35m… (stated by everyone’s favourite - Ornstein, too) the £50m that gets banded about is after add ons which will take a while…

Not clear if we even broke our transfer record (Buendia) last summer either…

5 hours ago, RicRic said:

IN

Gabri Veiga - Free *£130k Est Salary* 
Nico Williams - £43M *Release Clause* (£175k Est Salary)  
Mario Hermoso - Free *£120k Est Salary*   
New RB - £25M-£30M   

OUT

Digne 
Coutinho   
Olsen 
Hause 
Sanson 
Diego Carlos 
Dendocker

Window Closed ✅

BTW there are enough players in that transfers out list to get rid of any FFP fears.

This owuld be a legitimately terrible window. We don't sell cash letting his value atrophy after replacing him with a RB 

We invest in 2 attacking players when by in large we are rather well stocked. Selling digne and replacing him with hermoso still leaves us fairly thin at LB relying on moreno to not get injured otherwise we'd have no option but to play Hermoso in the same role as Konsa. Besides cash is a much better sell than digne, he has a lower book value so more money would be pure profit and and he'd probably sell for more too. Digne is also the better player. 

We will be without Kamara for most of the time before the January window. Which will be pretty much every UCL game. A DM is a massive need plus we need one anyway even if Kamara was fit so we could properly rotate the midfield. And even outside of not bringing in a DM, we didn't even bring in additional depth for Luiz. I suppose playing Veiga at the 10 could mean Tielemans more in the Luiz role. But imo we need some extra size and physicality for certain games especially late in games and that's not addressed either.

Imo this would be a very poor window and one that would likely prevent us from getting UCL next season too as our start to the season would be too slow. 

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

It’s possible… many seem to forget that the upfront fee for Diaby was around £35m… (stated by everyone’s favourite - Ornstein, too) the £50m that gets banded about is after add ons which will take a while…

Not clear if we even broke our transfer record (Buendia) last summer either…

Probably reached at least one of them now, qualifying for CL possibly.

24 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

The champions league is tough, because you can't rotate midweek and you can't rotate in the PL.

JJ is a very similar ball carrier to Rodgers. If we want to be a "big club" competing on both fronts we NEED both players. 

A fit and firing Ramsey rotating with Rodgers would be no downgrade in our Champions League season. It's a lot better than running Rodgers into the ground because the backup (Zaniolo this season) isn't good enough.

Plus who is to say Ramsey couldn't change his role. Sure last couple of seasons he's been best at LW but he or Rogers could potentially play CAM and Ramsey was a CM for most of his career. If he has improved tactically, he could easily revert back into a CM again. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Quick question.  Now that we're in CL, will be break or transfer record again this summer?

Again doesn't seem right. Buendia was more expensive for the initial fee. And Diaby may be more expensive total with add ons, but we haven't fulfilled them yet. It's like Wesley being more expensive than Mings. 

Also I don't think so. Our first XI is very capable of going toe to toe with anyone. Now we need to upgrade the depth and sign a starting RB and DM which shouldn't be circa 40 mil.

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

If he's smart and patient, he should want to stay at Villa as Ollie's understudy and learn from Emery. 

There's the problem. 

11 hours ago, allani said:

Others seem far more qualified than me on this stuff but if we spend £80m-£100m this summer then if each signing is on a 4 year contract that would mean we'd only need to raise £20-25m this year as the rest of the fees would be split across the 4 years of the contracts.  Given the new sponsorship deals, European run, TV money, league position prize money, etc - it doesn't seem unreasonable to suggest that we could do that with only selling "fringe" players or at least no-one who would be considered a core player.

I'm with you on Digne though.  I think he's been really good this year and I am slightly concerned about Moreno's defensive powers for the CL matches.

You don’t want to overstretch based on one season of CL football, though. That’s the kind of thing that can take us backwards if a “fire sale” was ever needed.

I do take your point on £20m/season should be absolutely fine. To be honest, I don’t know the exact position with the accounts because I don’t really care that much; I just know we’ve made losses, lose the season of the £100m Grealish sale and have a terrible wages:turnover ratio.

The people at our club will know what we can/can’t spend so we’ll just wait and see.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

well, for a club actually in the top 4, or even aspirations for top 4 or 6, our "transfer record" is actually almost comical.

I would be surprised if we didnt break it this summer.

Just now, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

So we spending loads of money or what?

I think it's fairly likely we have a fair whack. I think I've seen reports of being able to spend 30 mil on amortisation this year. 

Plus just getting rid of dead wood in the squad saves us like 20 mil on salary (not counting Lenglet or zaniolo). Then you have digne/cash/moreno who we could see for meh fees that could open up more transfer money for us. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

This ^

28 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

If we sell Ramsey we lose a club-home grown player from our already too small squad so I don’t get why selling him is seen as such a positive, it just permanently weakens our squad

And this ^

Unless we think he'd perma crocked there is zero sense selling him this summer. 

The important things are selling the deadwood and building a SQUAD, which we don't really have even when everyone is fit.

I reckon we might get in a few Euro-experienced veterans (perhaps on a free) and hopefully get rid of the deadwood.

All the while, signing some 3 or 4 marquee players to take us to the next level.

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

- only player unsellable for me is Martinez - the rest can be replaced 

I’d add Watkins to that list… there’s no other striker that does what Ollie does, at the level a consistency he does. 

also Torres too… that’s an elite player, actually makes a noticeable difference to any game when he’s on the pitch. 

Outside shout for Mcginn too, not exactly world class or elite class, yet he’s an absolute wasp of a player. Persistently evading everyone’s space just trying to win the ball and closing down space, getting the ball up the pitch. Does this all over the pitch too, 6,8,10 and the wings. Is there anyone like him? At all? 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You don’t want to overstretch based on one season of CL football, though. That’s the kind of thing that can take us backwards if a “fire sale” was ever needed.

I do take your point on £20m/season should be absolutely fine. To be honest, I don’t know the exact position with the accounts because I don’t really care that much; I just know we’ve made losses, lose the season of the £100m Grealish sale and have a terrible wages:turnover ratio.

The people at our club will know what we can/can’t spend so we’ll just wait and see.

Our terrible wage to turnover is due to European bonuses without Europe. It will have been a lot more sustainable for this season and even more for next year with UCL money. Plus clearing out deadwood like Coutinho, Sanson, Olsen, Chambers, Dendoncker, Hause will save us at least 20 mil in salary.

Plus you can always choose not to amortise a transfer fee if you do not want to. It's almost always advantageous to do it. But you could say spend like a 25 mil transfer and just keep it for this season expenses which would be covered by our foray into the UCL. 

Â