Joe Gauci

wishywashy

On 25/09/2024 at 18:49, Andy_10 said:

I am not a huge fan of Gauci.

I wasn't overly happy when he signed because I have just spent the past three years of watching him not be the best keeper in Australia when the best keeper was a 36 (now 39) year old player whose best days were four years with Wycombe in League Two before drifting off into obscurity down to non league, before joining Brisbane Roar & then becoming the best keeper in the whole competition (closely followed by Ollie Sale in my humble opinion), & moving to ManC Australian club Melbourne City.

Yes, he can show good fundamentals & is a pretty good shot stopper, but mistakes like last nights misjudgement coming for the ball & missing it completely are a fairly regular occurrence in his game.

Is he better than Olsen?

As Olsen has errors in his game & is pretty terrible at every other element of being a keeper, he probably is, but I don't think Gaucis ceiling is so high that the trade off for his errors are worth the long term effort.

If you think Gauci isn't that good, then you clearly haven't watched him at all!

As an Adelaide United fan I have.... We put him in goals as 20 yo (possibly even 19) in a struggling team.

He was nothing short of inspirational in the seasons he was our GK, and has someone who went to plenty of matches if he wasn't it goals it would have been nothing short of depressing...

You can not like him, that's your choice but to try and claim that you have watched him and you know he isn't very good just isn't true....

12 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

If you think Gauci isn't that good, then you clearly haven't watched him at all!

As an Adelaide United fan I have.... We put him in goals as 20 yo (possibly even 19) in a struggling team.

He was nothing short of inspirational in the seasons he was our GK, and has someone who went to plenty of matches if he wasn't it goals it would have been nothing short of depressing...

You can not like him, that's your choice but to try and claim that you have watched him and you know he isn't very good just isn't true....

Why would I not like him? I don't know him. I have an opinion of him, just as you do. But they are both only our personal opinions of the player. 

I have watched the past three years of A'League matches that were broadcast over to the UK. Granted, I wont have watched as many Adelaide games as you would have as a season ticket holder, & maybe thats my error for not clarifying, but I feel that Adelaide were on enough in those three years for me to see a pattern in his game. Which is why the other nights error didn't surprise me. And I enjoyed watching Adelaide because your manager trusts young players. I enjoyed watching Irankunda scoring on his 15 birthday with a free kick & his subsequent development. The development of the three Toure brothers, etc. I also quite liked the Emi like attitude of Stefan Mauk before he disappeared & reappeared after a year in Japan. So I actually quite like Adelaide as a whole club.

But either please read what I have written or don't put words into my mouth.

I never claimed that he "isn't very good". I claimed that I wasn't a big fan of his even though I specifically stated that, in my opinion, he has good fundamentals & is a decent shot stopper because, & here is the kicker, in my humble opinion, he also has errors like the other nights game error in his game.

And I don't want errors in our backup keeper any more than I want errors in Olsen.

An overall opinion which is backed up by the opinion of one of the other Australian fans on here.

And again, I have stated that he is better than Olsen, but like I said, I don't think that his potential ceiling is worth the trade off because to be number 1 at Adelaide in the A'League & to be a backup in the Premier League are two entirely different propositions. 

That is my opinion of watching his game over three years on TV & I never claimed my opinion is fact.

But please don't attempt to tell me how I have spent my own time.

Edited by Andy_10

2 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

Why would I not like him? I don't know him. I have an opinion of him, just as you do. But they are both only our personal opinions of the player. 

I have watched the past three years of A'League matches that were broadcast over to the UK. Granted, I wont have watched as many Adelaide games as you would have as a season ticket holder, & maybe thats my error for not clarifying, but I feel that Adelaide were on enough in those three years for me to see a pattern in his game. Which is why the other nights error didn't surprise me. And I enjoyed watching Adelaide because your manager trusts young players. I enjoyed watching Irankunda scoring on his 15 birthday with a free kick & his subsequent development. The development of the three Toure brothers, etc. I also quite liked the Emi like attitude of Stefan Mauk before he disappeared & reappeared after a year in Japan. So I actually quite like Adelaide as a whole club.

But either please read what I have written or don't put words into my mouth.

I never claimed that he "isn't very good". I claimed that I wasn't a big fan of his even though I specifically stated that, in my opinion, he has good fundamentals & is a decent shot stopper because, & here is the kicker, in my humble opinion, he also has errors like the other nights game error in his game.

And I don't want errors in our backup keeper any more than I want errors in Olsen.

An overall opinion which is backed up by the opinion of one of the other Australian fans on here.

And again, I have stated that he is better than Olsen, but like I said, I don't think that his potential ceiling is worth the trade off because to be number 1 at Adelaide in the A'League & to be a backup in the Premier League are two entirely different propositions. 

That is my opinion of watching his game over three years on TV & I never claimed my opinion is fact.

But please don't attempt to tell me how I have spent my own time.

Fair enough, if you had put some of this rant in your original post I would have given your opinion more credit because clearly you have watched a reasonable amount of us...

Our manager doesn't trust young players, he plays them because he is forced too, because my club sells or loses its best talent and replaces it with academy players or players like Mauk, who I did have a lot of time before his return, at 36 he's not the type of signing that inspires me.

Our club buys on the cheap and never spends any money they receive from transfers like Irankunda.

Joe Gauci was the only reason I went to games sometimes. He literally saved us from embarrassment on multiple occasions and if it weren't for him who knows the hie bad we would have been.

You are right though in that I'm not even sure he is an ideal premier league backup, but he is young and he is what we have got at this stage. I hope he proves that his ceiling is higher than it might seem at the moment.

I do apologise for being defensive but as I stated if you had put some of this info in you original post it would have clarified your position, and I would not have been so dismissive of your opinion....

The A-League season is about to start here and I'm already dreading it 😔 I'm probably just toey 😏

Edited by Villan_of_oz

45 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Fair enough, if you had put some of this rant in your original post I would have given your opinion more credit because clearly you have watched a reasonable amount of us...

Our manager doesn't trust young players, he plays them because he is forced too, because my club sells or loses its best talent and replaces it with academy players or players like Mauk, who I did have a lot of time before his return, at 36 he's not the type of signing that inspires me.

Our club buys on the cheap and never spends any money they receive from transfers like Irankunda.

Joe Gauci was the only reason I went to games sometimes. He literally saved us from embarrassment on multiple occasions and if it weren't for him who knows the hie bad we would have been.

You are right though in that I'm not even sure he is an ideal premier league backup, but he is young and he is what we have got at this stage. I hope he proves that his ceiling is higher than it might seem at the moment.

I do apologise for being defensive but as I stated if you had put some of this info in you original post it would have clarified your position, and I would not have been so dismissive of your opinion....

The A-League season is about to start here and I'm already dreading it 😔 I'm probably just toey 😏

Its not a rant mate, I was just trying to give more detail. The message was sent with a smile & a handshake. Well, maybe not the last sentence, lol. But its all cleared up now. 👍

I hadn't realised that the use of the younger players was through necessity, rather than a plan. Thats a shame. I had respect to Veart for that. Players like Mandhana (sp?) look raw, but you can see that at A'League level, he has something to his game. Same with others. Bernardo (sp?) looks decent too. Bit small though.

I mentioned Irankunda above as I wanted Villa to sign him as even from his first game, even though he was very raw & lacked any real stamina to last the full 90, there was something special about him. Physically & mentally. Obviously Bayern saw that too.

I hadn't realised that Mauk was 36. I thought he was in his late 20's early 30's. Its clear that while I enjoy watching your club, I know little of its full detail, lol.

As for Gauci, the person who would be most happy if he rammed my words back down my throat, would be me. Im happy to put my views out there, but when it impacts the Villa positively, Im very happy to be in the wrong. And I often am wrong.

No worries mate. I think you are passionate about the fact that Gauci is at Villa. Hopefully he becomes a strong player for us.

Im looking forward to the new season. I heard that you picked up Archie Goodwin. I like him a lot. Given service, I think he has a natural ability to put the ball in the net.

Good luck for the new season with Adelaide. 👍

11 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

Its not a rant mate, I was just trying to give more detail. The message was sent with a smile & a handshake. Well, maybe not the last sentence, lol. But its all cleared up now. 👍

I hadn't realised that the use of the younger players was through necessity, rather than a plan. Thats a shame. I had respect to Veart for that. Players like Mandhana (sp?) look raw, but you can see that at A'League level, he has something to his game. Same with others. Bernardo (sp?) looks decent too. Bit small though.

I mentioned Irankunda above as I wanted Villa to sign him as even from his first game, even though he was very raw & lacked any real stamina to last the full 90, there was something special about him. Physically & mentally. Obviously Bayern saw that too.

I hadn't realised that Mauk was 36. I thought he was in his late 20's early 30's. Its clear that while I enjoy watching your club, I know little of its full detail, lol.

As for Gauci, the person who would be most happy if he rammed my words back down my throat, would be me. Im happy to put my views out there, but when it impacts the Villa positively, Im very happy to be in the wrong. And I often am wrong.

No worries mate. I think you are passionate about the fact that Gauci is at Villa. Hopefully he becomes a strong player for us.

Im looking forward to the new season. I heard that you picked up Archie Goodwin. I like him a lot. Given service, I think he has a natural ability to put the ball in the net.

Good luck for the new season with Adelaide. 👍

Sadly Bernardo left the club last season, along with many others.. Archie Goodwin is someone I'm looking forward to seeing.

You are right about Gauci, maybe I'm too passionate but obviously for an Adelaide United  player to be at the Villa is amazing for me and hopefully for Adelaide United in an indirect way.

Being an Adelaide United supporter is hard at the moment but thankfully being an Aston Villa fan is not.

Apologies again for my intense reply to your posts!

• Like 1

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

Sadly Bernardo left the club last season, along with many others.. Archie Goodwin is someone I'm looking forward to seeing.

You are right about Gauci, maybe I'm too passionate but obviously for an Adelaide United  player to be at the Villa is amazing for me and hopefully for Adelaide United in an indirect way.

Being an Adelaide United supporter is hard at the moment but thankfully being an Aston Villa fan is not.

Apologies again for my intense reply to your posts!

It's all good my friend. Not everybody is respectful enough to apologise, so I appreciate that. 👍

I will keep my eye out for Adelaide games coming up. Hopefully TNT picked up the rights again. 

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â