Joe Gauci

wishywashy

18 hours ago, Ponky said:

I've seen plenty of Gauci and he has some excellent attributes but needs work. I've seen him make some world class saves, but I've also seen him easily beaten by shots he should save. With my Melbourne Victory hat on I always felt he was a tad overrated but could see decent potential in him.

He's only 23 and only played a couple of seasons as a senior keeper so he's got some learning to do and experience to gain without a doubt, especially in English conditions.

What he does have over the other young keepers we have is experience in high pressure matches in front of 30k people. However, I think he needs matches and a solid season on loan. Playing 5-6 cup games a season won't do much for his development.

I enjoyed watching Adelaide as Veart is very brave with his trust & development of youth players. I was wanting us to pick up Irankunda not long after his debut because his confidence to not only demand to take, but then step up & score a free kick on his debut as a 15 year old seemed wild to me. And his driving runs at pace with regular thunder bastard goals showed he had something in him as a player. Needed to work on his stamina, but he was a player I hoped we would pick up. And then Bayern came calling, lol.

But I digress, I agree with you about his inconsistency, where he can go from the sublime to the ridiculous. I suppose someone mentioned it earlier that he is a stop gap who is happy to sit & grow behind Martinez until maybe the likes of Proctor is moulded & available.

I think we have recognised how important a keeper is to how we play, which is why we are investing heavily in the young academy keepers. I think we have just paid Arsenal about £1M for one, so hopefully we will find one who can take over for Martinez when they are available.

Edited by Andy_10

20 minutes ago, pete101 said:

What I loved about his performance was, after he misread the flight of that ball, the resulting corner he comes straight out for it and takes the ball into his hands no problem at all. Thought it showed a strong mentality 

Tbf, that is a solid point. 

One flap at a cross, apart from that thought he looked decent enough. I didn't feel panicked when the ball was at his feet, and I thought his handling overall was good, and the save from the header I think he made it look easier than it was, moving his feet well initially to get across to it. Long way to go though and hard to say what sort of a career he will have at Villa or at this standard because goalkeepers need to be playing regularly and Carabou Cup / injury to Emi (god forbid) aside, he won't be getting many real competitive games for a while...

On 24/09/2024 at 23:02, sharkyvilla said:

I liked the look of him too.  I put a lot of trust in our scouting network these days, you can see he has the ingredients to be a good backup for our style of play.

Its also a classic Monchi signing from an unfashionable league/team but I bet a lot of research was done

I always think Aussie/American keepers are usually solid claiming crosses/making saves because other sports they play. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, pete101 said:

What I loved about his performance was, after he misread the flight of that ball, the resulting corner he comes straight out for it and takes the ball into his hands no problem at all. Thought it showed a strong mentality 

Thats such an Emi thing as well so no better mentality monster to learn from

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Its also a classic Monchi signing from an unfashionable league/team but I bet a lot of research was done

I always think Aussie/American keepers are usually solid claiming crosses/making saves because other sports they play. 

Wasn't Guzan American, some of the games where he came for crosses were horrific. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

Wasn't Guzan American, some of the games where he came for crosses were horrific. 

He was American but when he started it was one of his strengths but he buckled over time

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He was American but when he started it was one of his strengths but he buckled over time

Yeah guzans decline was real, when he broke through he was good, he had some good years, when he left he was absolutely **** dreadful 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

There was an interview with him after a year or two where he mentioned that the current GK coaches were telling him to always punch instead of catch like he'd previously been trained. Why you'd do that with a tall keeper who'd already shown he could catch reliably, I'll never understand, but it seemed to break his game (well, along with all the other **** going wrong here at that time).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

That is one of our strengths historically as Americans, though we are in a real drought at keeper right now so it may have just been a rich vein of form that got us Friedel, Guzan, Howard, and Keller.

I see some potential in Gauci. But if we don't have Dibu, we need Mings in there to organize the back line because the other plays canNOT do that job. They've demonstrated that.

1 hour ago, 479Villan said:

it may have just been a rich vein of form that got us Friedel, Guzan, Howard, and Keller.

This Tony Meola erasure will not stand.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, pete101 said:

What I loved, after he misread the flight of that ball, he comes straight out for it and takes the ball into his hands no problem at all. Thought it showed a strong mentality 

If you didn't know this was about football, I'd think this was talking about a man admiring another man fondling his testicles.

23 minutes ago, GarethRDR said:

Look how sad you made him.

You're gonna carry that weight.

TONY MEOLA ON AMERICAN SOCCER — WHAT'S WRONG WITH WINNING UGLY? •  SoccerToday

He doesn't carry as much as Weston McKinnie supposedly does, but he looks like he's toting quite enough of weight as it is.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

If you didn't know this was about football, I'd think this was talking about a man admiring another man fondling his testicles.

Testicle, singular.

It's a Lance Armstrong appreciation post.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â