Joe Gauci

wishywashy

9 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some of his distribution was very good, some of his goalkeeping less so.

Plenty to learn from tonight.

Yeah, that's what I saw too. He seems to lack the presence that good keepers have - an air of self-confidence and a determination to not concede.

Interestingly, I think I saw a bit of that when Zych came on. 

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I still think he is better than olsen. Olsen just causes panic. I think gauci is abit more confident 

I'd like to see more of Gauci and I think we will over the next few days, I think last night was a good night for Olsen though.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I still think he is better than olsen. Olsen just causes panic. I think gauci is abit more confident 

Based on what? Are you a big follower of his A League games to know this

Genuine question

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Based on what? Are you a big follower of his A League games to know this

Genuine question

I did watch the video highlights of him before he signed (ok i know know its only highlight videos) but even in these pre season games he has looked a lot more vocal and commanding.

One of olsens biggest flaws is he cant command at all and i really do feel that has a impact on the rest of the defence

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

I think you are very wrong about the third. Frankly even emi would have struggled to save that. Torres is so badly beaten the man is essentially on the D with the ability to go front or near post. It's basically a shooting drill. Gauci can't hedge one way or the other lest he be beaten with a simple pass into the back of the net. 

If torres was even in the picture Gauci can be further over on his near post to make the save. As torres will likely block a shot across goal. 

6 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

Certainly wouldn't judge a player by one single game, especially a friendly.

Yeah, there are mitigating factors -- age, experience, other players' mistakes -- but whether Gauci's going to someday grow up to be PL level, and whether he's better or worse. than Olsen—absolutely all those considerations should be beside the point. We're headed for Champions League football, and there is no way Gauci can be risked in CL or PL matches. That's just a fact. I can't see Emery doing that unless his back is against the wall. So we're almost back to last year's dilemma. You often get what you pay for, and Gauci involved very little investment. I don't know what we should do. Probably will need to rely on Robin a bit as backup? Hit the market again? Save your laughs, but isn't David DeGea still available? 😁

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Should've kept Sinisalo. Quietly confident and intelligent type. Olsen it is then, again. With our defense, we really need Emi to play all games.

• Like 2

We were off the pace in that game and our defence wasn't great. If he keeps getting game time I'm sure he will be fine.

He did well in the A-league and he's not far off being the first choice for Australia. He just needs more games. 

Gauci is at a "work in progress" stage of his career. He looks commanding and confident in a crowded six yard box situation, but has yet to master the daunting space left by our high line defence when our whole team is in the opposition's half. That's a coachable weakness, so he should become more naturally reactive especially when he can study Martinez's positioning on a game by game basis. He is currently a 1.5 million keeper, so doesn't come to us as a 'finished article'.

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

Gauci is at a "work in progress" stage of his career. He looks commanding and confident in a crowded six yard box situation, but has yet to master the daunting space left by our high line defence when our whole team is in the opposition's half. That's a coachable weakness, so he should become more naturally reactive especially when he can study Martinez's positioning on a game by game basis. He is currently a 1.5 million keeper, so doesn't come to us as a 'finished article'.

Also he hasnt played with our first team back four. Olsen has so i think that will help get a better view on gauci

Is the consensus that Gauci won't be loaned or that he would only be loaned if Olsen stays?

I think for the HG rule, Zych will be our 3rd choice keeper and he deserves it.

Good news for Gauci is he has a few more games on this tour to make an impression before Emi rejoins the team.

As a Melbourne Victory supporter I've seen him pull off some ridiculous saves in front of hostile crowds so I know he's got that in his locker. 

But he's just a kid in keeper terms. Got plenty to learn and just needs the opportunity to develop his craft. 

Whether that's as number 2 or 3 here, or on loan, that's up to him and Unai I guess.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2024 at 18:59, Marka Ragnos said:

Save your laughs, but isn't David DeGea still available? 😁

Just in case there's a hint of seriousness in the suggestion. Cagliari were apparently happy to work on a deal that would make him comfortably the best paid player in their history and they still couldn't get near his wage demands, which had apparently been reduced a lot after being out of football for a whole season.

Think the guy is in danger of being finished at the top level with how long he's been out of the football environment now and he's been blinded by the insane contracts Man Utd were throwing at him. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

He's very good in possession. The defence don't have the look of abject terror when the ball is at his feet, which immediately puts him ahead of Olsen in my book. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â